Looking to buy Highlander. Any advice? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Highlander Lounge Discussion area for all generations of Toyota Highlander. Off topic discussion is welcome

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 05-02-2018, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Looking to buy Highlander. Any advice?

So we're in the market to purchase, and while we would love to buy a new 2018 Highlander, they're all a bit out of our budget ($30k max), so we're looking at what's available used.

1. Any particular quirks/issues from certain model year Highlanders?
  2. Things to look out for when inspecting & test driving?
  3. Any particular mileage limit where owners start to have high-cost repairs?
  4. Any specific sites/dealers recommended for finding good deals? (Right now we're using MotoMiner.com)

Some specifics we're looking for:
Highlander
V6
Exterior: Black
Interior: Light Grey/Ash

So far in the $20-$25k range we're finding options that are 2013 or newer, and with 30k miles or less. Is there a year/mileage combo you think we should be open to considering in order to still get a great deal and a reliable vehicle, that we would plan on keeping for the next 10 years?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-19-2018, 02:48 PM
Triple A Whore

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Keep in mind the 2017 model year brought the 3.5 with 8 speed auto into the mix. We are in a soft search for a Highlander now, not looking to buy now unless it's a screaming deal.

Values seem to be holding up very well for these vehicles.

Check this out: https://www.toyotacertified.com/

Edmond.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-24-2019, 11:10 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We bought a hybrid Highlander XLE about 6 weeks ago. With the second row all the way back there is ample room for a rear facing seat (maybe not if you are taller than 6 ft). However on the few occasions we have put someone in the third row, then you have to slide the second row forward and the front row in front of the rear facing seat would be cramped. Fine for a shorter drive but not so for a long trip. Like everyone says, itís not as useful as a minivan but you canít argue with the Mrs. Overall, weíre happy with our decision.

In terms of mileage, I think itís likely to only make sense financially if you keep the car for a long time (7-10ish years depending on cost of gas). Consumer reports got 25mpg for the hybrid and 22mpg for the normal. We are getting closer to 26 but definitely not the EPA estimates. But it does feel nice to only fill up every 400 miles.

Lastly, I emailed about 30 dealers in the area and asked for their best price. It became clear quickly that nobody had a hybrid on the lot that matched what we wanted after following up with them.We ended up ordering one from the factory from the place that gave me the lowest quote. We paid $38.9 not including tax and title and fees and we had to wait 5 weeks. The XLE comes with leather seats. We decided that the premium for limited platinum was way too high for what you are getting. One thing to note is that platinum comes with perforated leather seats. I have those in our other car and hate them. When the kids spill something, it never comes out. The smooth leather is strongly preferred.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-25-2019, 04:45 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just bought a 2012 Limited while searching Auto Trader there were a few 13's around with low millage. This one I have has 108k and was a one owner. Check out a web site Off Lease.com its a place in Florida that has four or five car lots. They have late model cars and alot of Highlanders. But some have had accidents. But the prices seem to be good compared to new. In the 'fine print" they only charge a 299.00 dealer fee but have some BS fee for a drive out tag. My local credit union said that she had a customer that had bought there and was going down there again cause they where getting in some new trucks.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-25-2019, 01:18 PM
Beach dude

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
***UPDATE*****
I realized why the prices are so great, all the cars have had significant damage in an accident. There is a notice and disclaimer in every description I looked at....
Sorry, if I had realized that I wouldn't have shared the website.

Excellent tip vponder! www.Offleaseonly.com has some excellent prices! Maybe I should update my wife to a 16 XLE AWD! Thanks!

2016 Highlander LE Plus V6 AWD
2012 Highlander SE AWD
2016 Corolla LE ECO (Son's car)

Last edited by bsmiley; 01-25-2019 at 03:45 PM.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-25-2019, 06:46 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yea I opened up four of the 11 that was listed and all 4 had accident history I dont mind an accident since I bought my 12 with one, going by the carfax is wasn't towed which tells me that the front wasn't hurt that bad. Ive tried to find the accident report in the county where my car came from but came up empty or it didnt happen in that county.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-25-2019, 07:05 PM
Beach dude

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Yes, some minor damage doesn't both me if it was professionally repaired. If I were seriously looking for one I'd get a subscription to Carfax and check out the listings more in depth, but I'm really stoked with the Highlanders we currently have. I get a kick out of them everytime I drive.

2016 Highlander LE Plus V6 AWD
2012 Highlander SE AWD
2016 Corolla LE ECO (Son's car)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > Highlander Lounge