2013 Toyota Camry Engine Oil - Page 2 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry 7th Generation (2012-2017) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2012-2017

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 20 Old 05-17-2017, 06:02 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I would use a synthetic 5w30.... mild step up in viscosity for protection.

Toyota has had so many engine issues over the years that I have no faith in their best MPG 0w20 oil grade recommendation, or their 10k interval.

Sand storms? I'd worry more about the air filter. It will fill up with dust/sand quickly.

I would change the oil/filter every 5k miles since that dust sand environment is definitely severe service. Save the 10k interval for USA.

I would leave the coolant at 50:50... when you dilute the coolant too much, you also dilute the additive package which means you will have a short life coolant.

API/ILSAC SN/GF6 will reduce timing chain and associated hardware(tensioner/VVT/...) wear. After 30 years, the acronym oil gang will finally address a common wear and failure area of the thinner oils. We are still waiting for GF6... maybe in 2020!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 Old 05-18-2017, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech White Ops

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitacamry View Post
I would be more concerned that the cooling fan blows hot air across the engine....
I would make sure that the coolant mix be at the most efficient blend of water and coolant.
I've read that LESS than 50-50 coolant is better in hot climates....more like 66%-33% water-coolant....which is why here in Florida I just add distilled water when the reservoir level drops.
Read more here: "Things you should know about coolant"
https://hellafunctional.com/?p=629
You sir would be correct.

Plain distilled water has more cooling properties than coolant. Since my Honda doesnt need coolant, I used RedLine's Water Wetter with all distilled water. It has anti-corrosion additives and works quite well. The price of coolant has gone thru the roof. So for you northern people, stick to the OEM recommended stuff. But down here in 10 months of sweltering heat, Distilled and Redline does the job quite well.

https://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=74&pcid=10

2013 2.5 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artikgrau325is
People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style
post #18 of 20 Old 05-19-2017, 04:47 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 20 Old 05-20-2017, 07:53 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric Image View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitacamry View Post
I would be more concerned that the cooling fan blows hot air across the engine....
I would make sure that the coolant mix be at the most efficient blend of water and coolant.
I've read that LESS than 50-50 coolant is better in hot climates....more like 66%-33% water-coolant....which is why here in Florida I just add distilled water when the reservoir level drops.
Read more here: "Things you should know about coolant"
https://hellafunctional.com/?p=629
You sir would be correct.

Plain distilled water has more cooling properties than coolant. Since my Honda doesnt need coolant, I used RedLine's Water Wetter with all distilled water. It has anti-corrosion additives and works quite well. The price of coolant has gone thru the roof. So for you northern people, stick to the OEM recommended stuff. But down here in 10 months of sweltering heat, Distilled and Redline does the job quite well.

https://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=74&pcid=10
Distilled water is used because it's pure and prevents calcium buid up within a system. All these water wetter snakeoils are just a gimmick.

If your cooling system is fundamentally functional... any proprietors 50/50 pre mix coolant will work flawlessly anywhere on this earth.
post #20 of 20 Old 05-22-2017, 02:38 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
In my 2015 Camry 4 cyl with 29,000 miles I've been using Mobil 1 10W-30 April - Oct. and 5W-30 Nov. - March - in a mild central Calif. climate. I'd use 0W-30 if I lived in a cold winter climate.

The Russian owners manuals for this same car and engine allow even 10W-50 oils to be used in summer so that shows the only reason USA owners manuals specify 0W-20 is because the car's EPA gas mileage figures were measured and certified on sample cars equipped with 0W-20 oil.

I change oil every 3,000 miles and the oil filter at 6,000 because some Toyota's built in the last 20 years have had mechanical problems caused by deposits that formed and led to oil circulation problems unless the oil was changed often.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry 7th Generation (2012-2017)