post #1 of 14 Old 05-08-2019, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Maintenance

I bought my 2017 Camry brand new. For the first 30,000 I had complementary tire rotations, oil changes and any tuneups needed. Originally I thought this went to 35k so when I went for my last service at the dealer I found out I owed $240 for an oil change, tire rotation, air filter and cabin air filter. Whether that’s a good deal or not it kinda reminded me of owning a used car again and paying out the nose at the dealership for unnecessary work. I didn’t buy the extended warranty package so I’m not bound there.

Any of you other Camry owners just stick with with the oil changes, tire rotations/alignments (as needed) at your local trusted garage - at least up through 100k and stay away from the dealerships for all the nickel and diming? I’d rather get work done when I need it rather than spending all my money at the dealership.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-10-2019, 01:24 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Seems excessive, even for a “stealership”. Do you have the breakdown of the services? My dealership has specials for synthetic oil change and tire rotation for under $80, which includes a look over, so they can tell you all the (usually unnecessary) things they think your car needs. Filters and wipers are a common way to pad the bill.

When you bring your car to the dealership, or any mechanic, you need to be very clear about what you are authorizing them to do.

A trusted local mechanic should be fine. You might want to use the dealership until the power train warranty expires although legally they can’t require you to in order to keep the warranty valid.

Last edited by Sirius-XM; 05-10-2019 at 06:30 PM.
post #3 of 14 Old 05-12-2019, 08:31 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
That's a total ripoff.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 05-12-2019, 10:07 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Garage
Air filter and cabin filter changes are total rip-offs at the dealer. I even had the service writer tell me I needed new filters when they were only 2 weeks old.

Better to check and replace air filters yourself as actually needed, not by mileage. Easy to do it yourself.
post #5 of 14 Old 05-12-2019, 10:31 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
I bought a new 2017 Camry as well and have only been to the dealership for warranty items. Learn to change the oil and air filters yourself. I always buy Toyota's oil filter and 0w20 synthetic oil because they are cheap and they have a record of me doing that.
Another thing , like mentioned above, is to always tell the dealership what you want done.If you don't , what happened to you , will always happen.

I would bring it to the dealership just before your 3yr/60,000 is up because they will "try" to find something wrong and replace it under warranty.
I only get wheel alignments when I replace my tires.....Sometimes you can get away with it if your previous tires wore even.
Read your manual and do your own maintenance or go see your friendly and trustworthy mechanic.

2006 Corolla
2008 Limited Rav4 I4
2017 Camry

Kevin
post #6 of 14 Old 05-12-2019, 11:24 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
None of my cars have been to the dealer for anything other than warranty work and recalls. I wouldn't even want or need the free lack-of-maintenance provided on a new Toyota.

Go anywhere you want but make sure quality parts/filters/fluids are used.

Learn to DIY 5-minute things like engine or cabin air filters, and checking your own tire PSI, and checking your own oil level regularly.

You can extend the tire rotation even further if your driving pattern is normal enough. Learn to DIY with some harborfreight tools.

Ramps can make DIY oil/filter changes easy.

If DIY is not your cup of tea, then you have no choice but to pay whatever the local rates are for service. You can go anywhere you want.

So many trolls so little time
post #7 of 14 Old 05-12-2019, 02:49 PM
イリジウム

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Thanked 1,417 Times in 1,340 Posts
Supreme Member
+1 only warranty work. People don’t call them stealers for no reason. I’d think they’d tell you what it cost before hand?

Also look for coupon specials. Oil changes are very competitive.
post #8 of 14 Old 05-14-2019, 12:45 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
It's not a ripoff. LIke any dealer, they charge you full price for the filters and labor rate for each task. This is normal for anything you get done at the dealer. Both filters are easy to replace yourself and buying the filters from Walmart or auto part store is normally cheaper.

I get my oil changed (tires rotated) at the dealer. I have the equipment to change my own oil but not the time. Also laying on concrete is not good for this body. Like someone mentioned, I get coupons regularly for oil changes.

2006 Toyota Camry LE
2013 Toyota Sienna XLE
2015 Toyota Camry LE
post #9 of 14 Old 05-15-2019, 05:33 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
108K on my 2013 Camry here. After the initial free maintenance period, I found a decent local shop and went there for regular maintenance. At 100K had the torque converter replaced (free under the recall) at the dealership where I bought the car, and had an oil change, coolant change, and new brakes done while the car was there, for about 800 bucks total. Might have been more than at my local shop but whatever, the car was already in the shop, I got a free loaner for two days, and the TC was being replaced for free on a five year old car.

My local mech usually charges about 65 bucks for a synthetic oil change that gets me about another 10K down the road. I'm sticking with that 10K synthetic oil change interval until I start seeing filthy oil at 5K or something to that effect. (Keep in mind most of my driving is highway)
post #10 of 14 Old 05-20-2019, 11:22 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
last time I had my wife's rav4 in for an oil change I was asked if I wanted carbon cleaning. I said not thanks. She only has 50,000 miles.

sort of put me off about going back to the dealer.
post #11 of 14 Old 05-21-2019, 05:59 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
$240 is excessive, but it sounds like its the average price to pay to have a dealership perform these types of maintenance. If you are handy, most of the stuff you can do in your drive way with maybe just a screwdriver. You can buy the air and cabin filter on Amazon for under $20 a piece. The dealer I go to they charge $69 for an oil change and that includes topping off fluids. I think average price for tire rotation is around $15. If you don't like working on cars, then $240 is a great price imo.
post #12 of 14 Old 05-23-2019, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
So, is $240 "excessive," or is it a "great price?"

Thanks
post #13 of 14 Old 05-23-2019, 03:01 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwill View Post

Thanks

If you read through the post, everyone said it was excessive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #14 of 14 Old 06-01-2019, 08:43 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwill View Post

Thanks
Its excessive.
stvotw likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry 7th Generation (2012-2017)