Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums (https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/)
-   Camry 7th Generation (2012-2017) (https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/310-camry-7th-generation-2012-2017/)
-   -   New Car Hunt (Camry/IS) (https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/310-camry-7th-generation-2012-2017/1653426-new-car-hunt-camry.html)

aguynamedsean 05-13-2019 07:00 PM

New Car Hunt (Camry/IS)
 
Hello All,

Just created an account on here. I'm having a hard time sorting through the plethora of information on this forum.
So hopefully this works on here.

Long story short, Totaled my 2008 Cadillac CTS driving through hail in Texas last week :(

I'll have about 8-9k to spend on my next car and have been thinking about the Camry and Lexus IS250/300/350.

What should I look out for with these cars?

Preferably 2010 and newer.
This will be my first non-american car and I have no knowledge of their maintenance costs either.

If anyone can share their experience, i would greatly appreciate it.

-S

CorollaPants 05-15-2019 11:27 AM

The reason I bought a Camry (after decades of being a Corolla man) was because it depreciates in value so quickly. You can get a lot of car for your money and they are cheap to own, maintain and repair. I bought my Camry a few years old and with a questionable prior ownership history (there was definitely an unreported accident). I'm super fastidious about maintenance and repairs and have spent next to nothing on this car since I got it. Much less than my prior Corolla with a Toyota extended warranty. Shockingly good and cheap car to maintain. Can't speak to Lexus.

OleAvalon 05-15-2019 11:58 AM

A slightly wider perspective: Avalon. It's a Camry, a stretch Camry that has room for 6-footer adults in the back seat. And it's mechanically identical to the Lexus ES-300/350... The higher-end Avalons are luxury vehicles (our low-end Gen2 XL's are pretty bare-bones + passenger power seat & alloy wheels).

Avalons are assembled in Kentucky, if birthplace has any relevance.

ukrkoz 05-15-2019 12:18 PM

Not gonna get much for $9K... those are sought for vehicles bought in any condition. they have REPUTATION. Very popular.


One thing we miss in your quarry is what exactly is that you need vehicle for? As you got to love what you own. Take this from 2015 NX200t brief owner, who bought it, started hating it in about a month, and sold with huge loss 8 mths later. So you got to love it, or suffer.
I re read your post - you don't say. Maybe none of your options is good for you. Maybe a hybrid is betetr one.
Any way - find Made in Japan ones. They are simply better made. Lexus was topping 10 most reliable chart for the last ten years, so did Toyota as a whole. But you may want sportiness, or mpg or infotainment (nope, not Toyota), or cargo space, or hauling 6 people...

sdspeed 05-15-2019 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukrkoz (Post 14035066)
Not gonna get much for $9K... those are sought for vehicles bought in any condition. they have REPUTATION. Very popular.


One thing we miss in your quarry is what exactly is that you need vehicle for? As you got to love what you own. Take this from 2015 NX200t brief owner, who bought it, started hating it in about a month, and sold with huge loss 8 mths later. So you got to love it, or suffer.
I re read your post - you don't say. Maybe none of your options is good for you. Maybe a hybrid is betetr one.
Any way - find Made in Japan ones. They are simply better made. Lexus was topping 10 most reliable chart for the last ten years, so did Toyota as a whole. But you may want sportiness, or mpg or infotainment (nope, not Toyota), or cargo space, or hauling 6 people...

Lotta good points there.. Also your coming from a Caddy and considering a Camry! Are you in Texas or were you just passing thru when the weather totaled your ride. I'm curious to know what you thought of the CTS overall? I'm is SoCal and $9k can by a clean 2008-2009 CTS.
Welcome to the Toyota Nation!:grin:

CorollaPants 05-15-2019 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OleAvalon (Post 14035026)
A slightly wider perspective: Avalon. It's a Camry, a stretch Camry that has room for 6-footer adults in the back seat. And it's mechanically identical to the Lexus ES-300/350... The higher-end Avalons are luxury vehicles (our low-end Gen2 XL's are pretty bare-bones + passenger power seat & alloy wheels).

Avalons are assembled in Kentucky, if birthplace has any relevance.

Looking forward to buying a gently used 2019 Avalon in a couple of years!

OleAvalon 05-15-2019 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorollaPants (Post 14035162)
Looking forward to buying a gently used 2019 Avalon in a couple of years!

Yeah, that brings to mind one advantage. Despite years of trying, Toyota can't rip Avalons away from grandpas. Very few grandpa cars peal away from stop lights, have turbos added, show up on track days, or get flagged by cops for street racing. And lots of them have low mileage*.

(Down side is that bunches of them, and especially the low mileage ones, have been used for short hops... which can be very hard on cars.)

_____________________
* Our 01 reached 20k miles in 2013. I bought it at 60k last August.

molson.david 05-15-2019 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aguynamedsean (Post 14033354)
I'll have about 8-9k to spend on my next car and have been thinking about the Camry and Lexus IS250/300/350.

What should I look out for with these cars?

Preferably 2010 and newer.
This will be my first non-american car and I have no knowledge of their maintenance costs either.

If anyone can share their experience, i would greatly appreciate it.

-S

How about putting 4-5K down and buying a new or a few years old car? New is new. New car discounts are pretty heavy. Depending on your area you can get 4-5K off on a new Camry.

Personally I don't see any similarities between a Camry and IS: mid size fwd car vs a small, very small rwd.

aguynamedsean 05-15-2019 08:49 PM

Thank You all for the responses.

I have test drove a few cars the past few days and am quite impressed with the 7th gen Camry (glad i started in the right thread to begin with LOL.)

I'm probably going to narrow the search down to just the 7th gen.

Are there any things to lookout for with these? Maybe a year that has glaring issues?
What kind of mileage is acceptable for these?

What can I expect to save for repairs on these?

Thank you so much,
-S

aguynamedsean 05-15-2019 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molson.david (Post 14035326)
How about putting 4-5K down and buying a new or a few years old car? New is new. New car discounts are pretty heavy. Depending on your area you can get 4-5K off on a new Camry.

Personally I don't see any similarities between a Camry and IS: mid size fwd car vs a small, very small rwd.

Being a student, I'm looking for something reliable that I can get without payments.
But you are correct that the discounts are great right now.
Simply not in the budget.

Great Suggestion though,
-S

aguynamedsean 05-15-2019 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdspeed (Post 14035098)
Lotta good points there.. Also your coming from a Caddy and considering a Camry! Are you in Texas or were you just passing thru when the weather totaled your ride. I'm curious to know what you thought of the CTS overall? I'm is SoCal and $9k can by a clean 2008-2009 CTS.
Welcome to the Toyota Nation!:grin:

Was just driving through Texas, hail hit right around Fort Stockton.
I loved my CTS but the higher the mileage on them, the more equipment simply fails on them.

-S

add2718 05-15-2019 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aguynamedsean (Post 14035616)

I'm probably going to narrow the search down to just the 7th gen.

Are there any things to lookout for with these? Maybe a year that has glaring issues?


The 2012-2014 or so Camrys have had issues with faulty torque converters. Toyota replaced mine for free at 100K and it seems to be holding up alright after 8K more, but if I knew that these model years had problems with the TC, I probably would look elsewhere. After about 2015 or so the problem apparently has been resolved.

aguynamedsean 05-15-2019 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by add2718 (Post 14035648)
The 2012-2014 or so Camrys have had issues with faulty torque converters. Toyota replaced mine for free at 100K and it seems to be holding up alright after 8K more, but if I knew that these model years had problems with the TC, I probably would look elsewhere. After about 2015 or so the problem apparently has been resolved.

Great Info! Good to know.

Thank You
-Sean

OleAvalon 05-16-2019 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molson.david (Post 14035326)
How about putting 4-5K down and buying a new or a few years old car? New is new. New car discounts are pretty heavy. Depending on your area you can get 4-5K off on a new Camry.

That's quite a generous concept. Generous to car dealers, those who provide financing, and accountants who can make hay with the 20% loss a new owner enjoys within 12 months via depreciation.

It's the perfect solution if you're a thoracic surgeon.

It's also generous to the makers of the modules, CVT trannies, TPS sensors, and manufacturers of power luxuries, all of whom will be collecting big time on spare parts sales by the time "new was new" starting ticking 5 years earlier...

It's also generous to those of us who are automotive bottom feeders, because it adds to the supply of well-maintained, excellent-driving cars whose depreciation has been completely deducted from the price.

Conceptually, I owe hundreds of thousands of dollars to people who, many years ago, decided "new was new." They all (and I say, thankfully from my own personal point of view) thought it was an "investment" to cough up $28k, $37.5k (average US car, 2018), $55k (average luxury car) and more.

The massive savings from a $5k discount... that's 7.5% of $37.5K... not bad. You'd lose only 12.5% of your "investment" the first year of ownership... you'd have to kiss goodbye forever a mere $4,687.50 in the first year.

Oh, wait -- that completely meaningless loss is just about half what the OP wants to spend...

Jdsmitty10 05-16-2019 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by add2718 (Post 14035648)
The 2012-2014 or so Camrys have had issues with faulty torque converters. Toyota replaced mine for free at 100K and it seems to be holding up alright after 8K more, but if I knew that these model years had problems with the TC, I probably would look elsewhere. After about 2015 or so the problem apparently has been resolved.

To OP this was just the 4 banger model. V6 camry's didn't/don't have this issue and are butter smooth and go 0-60 in 5.7-6ish seconds depending on year/who tested it. Love mine. Only issue I had with my 2012 is the sunroof rattle/pop so far. 110k miles.

I have looked into getting an IS350 AWD to replace my Camry some day(used one). I just don't know if I want to pay for premium gas, take a hit on gas mileage and probably take a hit on insurance as well. Not to mention slightly smaller than a camry. I would imagine maintenance is similar. Isn't lexus/Toyota the cheapest brand to maintain?

I bought my Loaded Camry new for 28k in 2012. It is worth crap these days compared to other toyota's I have owned. I think next time around, If I buy a sedan of whatever brand, it will be used for sure since sedans just don't hold their value like other types of Toyota's(trucks/suvs).

My 2 cents. Good luck.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome