How do I fix my front bumper? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry 7th Generation (2012-2017) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2012-2017

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 06-15-2019, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
How do I fix my front bumper?

I recently hit a curb and damaged my front bumper. See area under the light in the photo below.

I'd love to know the cheapest way to repair the bumper.

Should I simply order a new front bumper and have it installed?

Alternatively, there's a local body shop in my neighborhood. They say that they would charge me $150 to install a bumper that is already primed, painted and given clear coat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1063.JPG (119.5 KB, 92 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 06-15-2019, 05:22 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota_Novice View Post
I recently hit a curb and damaged my front bumper. See area under the light in the photo below.

I'd love to know the cheapest way to repair the bumper.

Should I simply order a new front bumper and have it installed?

Alternatively, there's a local body shop in my neighborhood. They say that they would charge me $150 to install a bumper that is already primed, painted and given clear coat.
FWIW, This place will send you a new bumper already painted and ready to install. Just for grins say $280 plus tax and shipping and the $150 for your local shop to install it. So, $420 plus the shipping and tax, Total of $500?
How about checking with a local body shop and getting a price to fix yours. Even if it was a bit more a lot less hassel that gathering parts and running around. https://www.paintedautobodyparts.com...yABEgLshPD_BwE
tdi200 and phoenixgreg like this.
post #3 of 29 Old 06-15-2019, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
sdspeed,

I really appreciate your feedback.

I have only checked with one auto body shop in my area. They said that since my bumper is plastic they cannot fix it and that I have to get a new one. Is this true?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 06-15-2019, 08:49 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
what year is ur car? if the damage is fixedable try craightlist for those mobie bumper repair, should b less than the 500 sdspeed sugested. ran into the same problem last month driving home on the free way, hit a plastic construction cone, broke the right side front bumper by a square foot+ broke the ac condenser also. bought the new conderser for 40 dollars, new prime( matching paint is more expensive) bumper for 71 dollars on ebay. put everything together in 1 day, recharge the ac for 75 dollars and now car back on the road running fine like it used to. i can either spray paint it myself( spray can paints) or take it to a local shop i've know for 200. but i don't really care for the look so much, i'll just get some spray can and do a quick job on it with some clear coat to protect it .i post some before and after pics so u can see if it's worth it trying.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190502_125038.jpg (1,018.4 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 20190614_115645.jpg (706.1 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 20190614_115634.jpg (763.6 KB, 36 views)
John Lam likes this.

Last edited by Nguoi Yeu Nuoc; 06-15-2019 at 08:52 PM.
post #5 of 29 Old 06-16-2019, 12:50 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Was in a similar position to you; was driving at night and bam, all of a sudden one of Houston's infamous debris in the road hit the car in front of me and managed to fly into my bumper + grill cover (not a spool, but an actual rim that probably fell off a truck). Pics below of damage and after I replaced with the new one.

I ended up just buying a foldable bumper ~200 + a bumper grill cover which should run you under 100 (I got mine for 80):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Painted...y/323525828063

If you have the time and are semi-handy, you can probably handle the install yourself and save yourself the install fee. I finished mine within an hour solo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bumper2.jpg (414.6 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg bumper1.jpg (243.9 KB, 38 views)
post #6 of 29 Old 06-16-2019, 02:49 PM
Official TN Lurker

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaos4ng31 View Post
Was in a similar position to you; was driving at night and bam, all of a sudden one of Houston's infamous debris in the road hit the car in front of me and managed to fly into my bumper + grill cover (not a spool, but an actual rim that probably fell off a truck). Pics below of damage and after I replaced with the new one.

I ended up just buying a foldable bumper ~200 + a bumper grill cover which should run you under 100 (I got mine for 80):

If you have the time and are semi-handy, you can probably handle the install yourself and save yourself the install fee. I finished mine within an hour solo.

houston here too, do you have issues with no front plate? also was the foldable bumper pre painted/how was the color match? I got a fender off eBay and it looks great. My bumper has some nasty pits and scratches from debris nothing terrible but I may get a new one and wrap in in clear bra.

2016 Camry SE
Instagram: VaderCam2k16
post #7 of 29 Old 06-16-2019, 04:05 PM
New TN User

I used to stick the plate using suction cups on passenger windshield side while I was trying to find a good way to mount the plate off-center on the bumper. Never had a problem driving without a front plate or mounted on the windshield, but a couple of my friends have been pulled over for keeping it on the front in non-houston areas like beaumont.

The foldable bumper I got was only folded in thirds so it wasn't too bad, about 20 minutes in texas sun and it reformed it's natural shape. Color match was great for the stock black and it came prepainted. Wish I had another picture to show you but my car is stuck in the shop for quite some time now :sob:
post #8 of 29 Old 06-16-2019, 07:48 PM
Official TN Lurker

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
awesome, thanks. what are you lowered on? do you have an instagram?

2016 Camry SE
Instagram: VaderCam2k16
post #9 of 29 Old 06-17-2019, 07:47 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarury View Post
awesome, thanks. what are you lowered on? do you have an instagram?

No instagram yet

I'm lowered on BC Racing BR coilovers for the xv50 SE chassis. On stop wheels I got close to like 3 inches dropped and with the varrstoens I'm dropped about 2 inches. rn they're stuck in the shop because my guy is out of commission in the middle of working on my car Having him install air suspension (D2).
jarury likes this.
post #10 of 29 Old 06-18-2019, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Nguoi,

My Camry is a 2016.

Really appreciate your feedback. I'm still in the process of trying to decide what to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nguoi Yeu Nuoc View Post
what year is ur car? if the damage is fixedable try craightlist for those mobie bumper repair, should b less than the 500 sdspeed sugested. ran into the same problem last month driving home on the free way, hit a plastic construction cone, broke the right side front bumper by a square foot+ broke the ac condenser also. bought the new conderser for 40 dollars, new prime( matching paint is more expensive) bumper for 71 dollars on ebay. put everything together in 1 day, recharge the ac for 75 dollars and now car back on the road running fine like it used to. i can either spray paint it myself( spray can paints) or take it to a local shop i've know for 200. but i don't really care for the look so much, i'll just get some spray can and do a quick job on it with some clear coat to protect it .i post some before and after pics so u can see if it's worth it trying.
post #11 of 29 Old 06-18-2019, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
khaos4ng31,

Your info was very interesting.

I just want to make sure I understand you correctly:

1) The foldable bumper and the bumper grill are 2 separate parts? If so, since my grill is not damaged, can I simply get the bumper alone?

2) Can I get the bumper already painted?

Quote:

post #12 of 29 Old 06-18-2019, 01:39 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:

dam dude, that is a big chunk that broke off. ur bumper is more expensive than mine since ur car is newer model,mine is old, an 06 accord, that's y it's so cheap.
post #13 of 29 Old 06-18-2019, 09:34 PM
New TN User

Quote:
khaos4ng31,

1) The foldable bumper and the bumper grill are 2 separate parts? If so, since my grill is not damaged, can I simply get the bumper alone?

1) Usually it will come separate. the bumper grill cover comes off pretty easily, just a few screws and a several clips that hold it in. most sellers will send the bumper alone because it makes shipping easier

2) mine came painted on arrival, if you want extra coats of clear coat (they advertise it as some "premium" paint) that'll probably cost extra

@Nguoi Yeu
yeh, lol I wish my reaction was faster but this happened pretty late at night. Not too mad since the fix wasn't THAT expensive for me, more glad that it didnt smash my windshield. The video:
post #14 of 29 Old 06-19-2019, 10:34 AM
Captain Camry

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Quote:
khaos4ng31,

I'll add my 2 cents here:

1) Yes, grill and bumper are separate. Once the bumper assembly is off the car, it's pretty simple to remove the grill. Easier than removing the bumper, so if you got this far, no biggie.
2) Yes, however there have been varying accounts of how close of a color match you'll receive. Additionally they tend to skimp on clear coat, so even if the color matches, it will be a little duller in full sun.

As others mentioned, there are a ton of places that just do bumper repair. A lot of them are mobile and will come to you. They do pretty basic repair, but mostly repaint. You can often find them on Groupon for pretty cheap. A lot of dealers use them when they get dinged up cars to get them on the lot and sold before anyone knows the better. I got my front bumper redone for about $200, just fixing rock chips more than anything. These places also tend to skimp on the clear coat. Kind of a 'get what you pay for' type of deal. We'll see how faded my paint looks in a few years. I assume by then I'll need to have another rock chip restoration done anyway, at another $200. I have a $300 deductible on my car because I've had so many hit and runs and parking lot scuffs over the years. It sucks with bumper damage because it's right around that price tag.

2015 Camry SE

Last edited by CorollaPants; 06-19-2019 at 10:52 AM.
post #15 of 29 Old 06-19-2019, 03:40 PM
Official TN Member

in my opinion, if your car is 8+years old( mine is 13 years old), fix the bumper at minimal cost,save the money for maintenace and engine+trans work. if it 's some scatch or minor damage u can live with, leave it the way it is until it's totally need a new bumper. i only replaced mine since it has a square foot hole and the condenser was broken, before the bumper got broken, it has plenty of scratch over the year but it was still in tact. so i just got a prime but unpainted bumper, slap them on m use the money saving from buying a color matched bumper to buy a new condenser and recharge the ac system. total cost was 71(bumper+shipping)+41(condenser+shipping)+60 ( ac system recharging)=172 total and ofcourse i did all the work with the exception of recharging the ac. in the future i might just get some cans of paint and paint it my self. the car is a daily work horse so keeping the motor and trans running well is my priority( and the car running super since i do all the maintence and any repair that needed), the look as long as nothing falling off the car, it will be fine. but it's just my opinion, others might find it difficult to drive around in a unmatching color bumper lol! my wife as an example, she already got pissy about me not painting the bumper yet and she doesn't even drive my car since it's a manual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry 7th Generation (2012-2017)