spark plug has oil :( should dealer fix it? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry 7th Generation (2012-2017) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2012-2017

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 06-23-2019, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
spark plug has oil :( should dealer fix it?

posting this here too since it's not specifically a hybrid issue-->Hey guys so I noticed my car was being a little shaky so I looked under the hood. Looked like what was needed was a valve cover gasket replacement since there was oil and grime I took the cover off to replace everything, but the seal and gaskets look perfectly fine. It's a 2015 with 87k miles so I really didn't think there would be an issue like this yet just expected basic maintenance. anyway there was a little liquid seal on a corner that was put there from the factory which easily broke away. I figured this was what failed and caused the oil to leak out. I put gasket maker all around the edges and sealed it tight. Few days later I decided to go ahead and change the spark plugs and one of them had oil on it. I'm more than willing to check the pcv valve etc and try and fix this myself, but the time and labor is not worth it. I feel like this should be on the dealer to fix. I have a lifetime warranty on the powertrain and I'm wondering if they'll cover this since it's part of the engine and the issue seems like a failure not due to negligence. some feedback would be appreciated not sure if theyll agree as dealerships tend to be assholes (i used to work in their sales dept. so I definitely know) thank you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-24-2019, 03:14 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
I have a feeling the powertrain warranty won't cover valve cover gaskets. Spark plugs are a maintenance item, so it definitely won't be covered. Can't hurt to ask about the valve cover gasket, though.

I was wondering too if a little oil in the spark plug tube is a big deal. Mine had a little oil on it too when I changed the spark plugs about 2 months ago. I didn't do anything about it...

2001 Camry LE 2.2L, Black, 146K as of 7/19
Bought 10/16 with 131K

2001 Camry LE 2.2L, Lunar Mist Metallic, 97K as of 7/19
Bought 6/01 brand new
post #3 of 11 Old 06-24-2019, 06:28 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
spark plug has oil should dealer fix it?

I havenít changed mine myself yet, but I did see a video that seemed a little easier for a pcv valve on a rav4. You take the wheel off and go through there with a long extension. Havenít changed mine on my Camry though so I am not sure how much easier that would be. Just to be sure cause I didnít see it in your original post. When you changed your valve cover, you also changed the spark plug tube gaskets as well right? If so it couldíve dropped in from the change or been there before you changed the gasket.

Here is the link to the video I saw if your interested.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by tpence2177; 06-24-2019 at 06:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-24-2019, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiantao View Post
I have a feeling the powertrain warranty won't cover valve cover gaskets. Spark plugs are a maintenance item, so it definitely won't be covered. Can't hurt to ask about the valve cover gasket, though.

I actually bought all the gaskets and plugs to do myself, but the oil is on the threads of the spark plug so this no longer seems like a maintenance issue to me. And when I checked the gaskets and seals looked in great shape. Feels like a bigger issue given the age, mileage and regular servicing of the car. Just wondering what the issue is and if the dealer should fix it

I was wondering too if a little oil in the spark plug tube is a big deal. Mine had a little oil on it too when I changed the spark plugs about 2 months ago. I didn't do anything about it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpence2177 View Post
I haven’t changed mine myself yet, but I did see a video that seemed a little easier for a pcv valve on a rav4. You take the wheel off and go through there with a long extension. Haven’t changed mine on my Camry though so I am not sure how much easier that would be. Just to be sure cause I didn’t see it in your original post. When you changed your valve cover, you also changed the spark plug tube gaskets as well right? If so it could’ve dropped in from the change or been there before you changed the gasket.

Here is the link to the video I saw if your interested.
Thanks for the vid. I’ll check it out. The oil is on the threads and all the gaskets were in good shape. cleaned up the oil that dripped which wasn’t a lot honestly
post #5 of 11 Old 06-24-2019, 12:03 PM
Banned

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
You re-used the gasket?

Also, there is another thread on this forum about the exact same problem, see how that fella made out.

Thanks
post #6 of 11 Old 06-24-2019, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwill View Post
You re-used the gasket?

Also, there is another thread on this forum about the exact same problem, see how that fella made out.

Thanks
yup. Gasket was in good shape what caused the seepage actually seemed like a little sealant that the factory put on a corner. I did add gasket maker evenly along the edges and it seems to do the job. No seepage. I’ll try to find the thread. Thnks!
post #7 of 11 Old 06-24-2019, 12:27 PM
Banned

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Should not reuse gaskets once removed, no matter the shape it is in or how it looks.

Thanks
post #8 of 11 Old 06-24-2019, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwill View Post
Should not reuse gaskets once removed, no matter the shape it is in or how it looks.

Thanks
the gaskets are fine. Iím aware of the reduced capability of a gasket once removed. There was gasket maker evenly coated along the edges when reinstalled. There is no seepage. itís no longer a problem. The park plugs are the issue here.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-24-2019, 01:55 PM
Official TN Member

Not to pile on, but I donít think itís recommended to use gasket sealers on these newer Toyota engines except for the oil pan either. Since you reused I would take the coils out and make sure that the spark plug gasket didnít raise up when being put back in place. I had to push a few of mine down again once my valve cover was back on.

post #10 of 11 Old 06-24-2019, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpence2177 View Post
Not to pile on, but I don’t think it’s recommended to use gasket sealers on these newer Toyota engines except for the oil pan either. Since you reused I would take the coils out and make sure that the spark plug gasket didn’t raise up when being put back in place. I had to push a few of mine down again once my valve cover was back on.

i figured it was okay since the factory had some sealant put on the corners, I’ll look into that though. Spark plugs are also in place. What year and model do you have?
post #11 of 11 Old 06-24-2019, 10:18 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj5461 View Post
i figured it was okay since the factory had some sealant put on the corners, Iíll look into that though. Spark plugs are also in place. What year and model do you have?

I have a 2014.5 4 cyl. About to have 140k on mine. My gasket wasnít ďleakingĒ but I noticed a good bit of dirt to start to collect around the spark plugs, and on the corners of the block so I went ahead and changed mine about 2k miles ago.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry 7th Generation (2012-2017)