post #1 of 21 Old 06-25-2019, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
HID install

Hello,I have a 2014 Camry SE 2.5 with standard halogen bulbs,I want to know if I can install factory HID bulbs,also if I can use the same headlight housing,(factory projectors) and if it's the same plug.Thanks.

Last edited by K_Watson; 06-26-2019 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Title fix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 06-25-2019, 10:49 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Have you looked at a parts diagram?

post #3 of 21 Old 06-25-2019, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangm25 View Post
Have you looked at a parts diagram?
,I've found one the web,Toyota Parts,but only shows the bulbs part numbers.I was wondering if they have a ballast apart or if it's on the bulb.If the connections are the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 06-26-2019, 08:35 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Search for threads here using Xenon Depot as the search term

2015 Camry XSE
post #5 of 21 Old 06-26-2019, 02:40 PM
Captain Camry

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Familiarize yourself with HID 101 as LazerBoi_64 recommended. Your car is not equipped with factory HID, therefore there's no factory HID bulb available for it because it lacks the ballast required to power it. All HID bulbs require a ballast, cars with factory HID have them built in. HIDs are available as aftermarket only for our cars in the H11B size. Companies like Philips, Osram, Sylvania, etc do not make H11 HID bulbs because they've never been available as a factory stock option in that size. All the H series HID kits are made by third party aftermarket manufacturers, many who claim to use Philips glass, parts, etc. Not that they are bad products, but they are not made as street legal, swap out, factory replacements.

All that aside you'll need two ballasts, two bulbs and a dual relay harness for size H11B. Morimoto and Xenon Depot make great kits. Hylux makes great ballasts. If you buy some cheap kit from eBay, wish, Amazon or China you will absolutely regret it and think that HID is garbage. The stock projectors in this generation Camry do a pretty good job of handling the high light output from the HID bulbs, with some pretty basic re-aiming. You can do a full retro fit that will cost around $1k or so. The output of HID is incredible and blows away both halogen and LED by a mile.
Vangm25 likes this.

2015 Camry SE
post #6 of 21 Old 06-26-2019, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorollaPants View Post
Familiarize yourself with HID 101 as LazerBoi_64 recommended. Your car is not equipped with factory HID, therefore there's no factory HID bulb available for it because it lacks the ballast required to power it. All HID bulbs require a ballast, cars with factory HID have them built in. HIDs are available as aftermarket only for our cars in the H11B size. Companies like Philips, Osram, Sylvania, etc do not make H11 HID bulbs because they've never been available as a factory stock option in that size. All the H series HID kits are made by third party aftermarket manufacturers, many who claim to use Philips glass, parts, etc. Not that they are bad products, but they are not made as street legal, swap out, factory replacements.

All that aside you'll need two ballasts, two bulbs and a dual relay harness for size H11B. Morimoto and Xenon Depot make great kits. Hylux makes great ballasts. If you buy some cheap kit from eBay, wish, Amazon or China you will absolutely regret it and think that HID is garbage. The stock projectors in this generation Camry do a pretty good job of handling the high light output from the HID bulbs, with some pretty basic re-aiming. You can do a full retro fit that will cost around $1k or so. The output of HID is incredible and blows away both halogen and LED by a mile.
Thanks for the advice, I'll look for an aftermarket one from the brands you mentioned,thanks again.
post #7 of 21 Old 06-26-2019, 05:44 PM
BeerSteakTxas

Thanked 1,195 Times in 1,005 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafello73 View Post
Hello,I have a 2014 Camry SE 2.5 with standard halogen bulbs,I want to know if I can install factory HID bulbs,also if I can use the same headlight housing,(factory projectors) and if it's the same plug.Thanks.
If you are talking about real HID bulbs, the only way is to retrofit RX350 HID projectors.
stvotw and cb91710 like this.

2017 Avalon XLE premium
post #8 of 21 Old 06-26-2019, 05:47 PM
BeerSteakTxas

Thanked 1,195 Times in 1,005 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorollaPants View Post
You can do a full retro fit that will cost around $1k or so.
Much much less if you DIY and use your headlights. The OEM H11 projectors are just so-so and have squirrel spotters that blind oncoming traffic and wasting a lot of light and difference between any PnP hid kit and real HID retro is ginormous and imo well worth time and money spend on retrofit.
stvotw and cb91710 like this.

2017 Avalon XLE premium
post #9 of 21 Old 06-30-2019, 10:04 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Supreme Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafello73 View Post
yes installed in my 2014 LE 2.5 used the same housing, the bulbs i installed was morimoto Elite HID Kit H11B bought used from a member on here and he had bought from theretrofitsource.com; it was direct plug and play been using it for almost 6 months and nobody has ever flashed at me as other used to say we need to bend the "squirrel spotters" (which i never did) before installing HID bulbs into projector housing

(2X) COROLLA 2001,
COROLLA 1993,
HONDA CIVIC 2009,
CAMRY 2014 LE (REBUILT)
post #10 of 21 Old 07-01-2019, 11:19 AM
Captain Camry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdi200 View Post
yes installed in my 2014 LE 2.5 used the same housing, the bulbs i installed was morimoto Elite HID Kit H11B bought used from a member on here and he had bought from theretrofitsource.com; it was direct plug and play been using it for almost 6 months and nobody has ever flashed at me as other used to say we need to bend the "squirrel spotters" (which i never did) before installing HID bulbs into projector housing
There's a lot of truth to this statement and molson.david's statement. As far as stock projectors go, this generation Camry's projectors do a pretty good job of managing aftermarket HID bulb light output. Side by side with my neighbor's brand new 4 series BMW, for example, the Camry is the clear winner. I do not think that the squirrel spotters are creating excess glare at all for those using HID bulbs. Some really easy, basic headlight alignment adjustments reduce a good amount of glare. Some recent NHTSA reports say that some 90%+ of new cars have excess glare. Not that it makes it right, but you're certainly not going to be the worst offender by any means.

However to molson.david's point... there's "good enough" and doing it right. A full conversion is going to give you the best results, most importantly: better visibility at night. All of the light is going to be properly aimed, which equals more light on the road and less where it doesn't belong (glare). Personally, I can't justify the spend as a city driver to do a full conversion, and I've got money to burn if that says anything about how pleased I am with the results in my stock projectors. But for the love of God, please make sure you adjust and aim your headlights if you do add HID or LED. It's super easy on this generation.
Vangm25 likes this.

2015 Camry SE

Last edited by CorollaPants; 07-01-2019 at 11:24 AM.
post #11 of 21 Old 07-01-2019, 11:36 AM
Senior TN Member

• I've only been flashed about twice in the fiveish years since I had my Morimoto's. I have thought about but have never blocked the squirrel spotters because I would like to keep these OEM lights as stock as possible should I ever sell the vehicle (which I won't).
  • I would like to do a retrofit but I would prefer to pay someone to do it because I would rather not deal with cooking the lights and making sure everything is water tight. I plan on doing it but it very low on my priorities list after stupidly expensive seat covers yet before a stupidly expensive tablet-style stereo.
  • Whenever I do get my head lights retrofitted, it will be with a aftermarket set. I plan to display my OEM head lights like with my tail lights for emergency situations that may never occur.

post #12 of 21 Old 07-02-2019, 06:18 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Iíve had XenonDepotís HID kit in my 2016 Camry for 3+ years and itís pretty much plug and play. Just find a good spot for the ballast and use industrial grade double-sided tape to secure them.

As some suggested, search for XenonDepot and GreatAvalonís threads for install pics and ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #13 of 21 Old 07-02-2019, 06:58 PM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaibh2012 View Post
Iíve had XenonDepotís HID kit in my 2016 Camry for 3+ years and itís pretty much plug and play. Just find a good spot for the ballast and use industrial grade double-sided tape to secure them.

As some suggested, search for XenonDepot and GreatAvalonís threads for install pics and ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Still surprised I don't see this often. If you have the space, an easier way to mount HID ballast is just to use an L-bracket. I obviously have a sorta different car but I always found it more beneficial to use that L-bracket because it makes removal and/or replacement of the HID system much easier. Especially if they are faulty. I also get to "show-off" my ballast. It's not a good picture but if you look for the orange bracket of the older Morimoto's you will see them attached to an L-bracket. I also know that my Morimoto's are pretty rugged and overall weatherproof too.

Last edited by Vangm25; 07-02-2019 at 07:08 PM.
post #14 of 21 Old 07-03-2019, 10:55 AM
Captain Camry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangm25 View Post
Still surprised I don't see this often. If you have the space, an easier way to mount HID ballast is just to use an L-bracket. I obviously have a sorta different car but I always found it more beneficial to use that L-bracket because it makes removal and/or replacement of the HID system much easier. Especially if they are faulty. I also get to "show-off" my ballast. It's not a good picture but if you look for the orange bracket of the older Morimoto's you will see them attached to an L-bracket. I also know that my Morimoto's are pretty rugged and overall weatherproof too.
Exactly where I installed mine on the driverís side as well. Check out this video for where I installed on the passengerís side (not my video, but I used their install location) see around 7 min mark:

2015 Camry SE
post #15 of 21 Old 07-03-2019, 10:58 AM
Captain Camry

These are the brackets I used for the new Morimoto ballasts, absolutely perfect fit!
Vangm25 likes this.

2015 Camry SE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry 7th Generation (2012-2017)