Time for coolant flush? Is this coolant low? 92k miles - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Camry 7th Generation (2012-2017) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2012-2017

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 07-12-2019, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Time for coolant flush? Is this coolant low? 92k miles

So my 2014 Camry has 92k miles. I think around 40 or 50k I asked the dealer to top it off since it was sorta like this and they added distilled water only I believe. Anyway now that it's at 92k I popped the hood open and this is what I saw.

The first pic is the coolant when it's cold, second pic is after it's been hot and driven. Is that considered low on coolant? And do I need to do a flush yet? Dealer wants to charge $198 for coolant fluid exchange. I have to get it done at a shop, if not Toyota since I live at an apartment and can't do car work.

This car got transitioned to a family member now, since I got a new Lexus IS. So mileage wise it's gonna go from being driven 13-18k miles a year to maybe only 3k a year. Do I need to add any coolant at this moment? And if i do can I just get this from autozone and fill it up? https://www.autozone.com/antifreeze-...20595_668568_0

https://imgur.com/a/Ep9NKts Cold
https://imgur.com/ndrAO4W after being driven

Last edited by NewportBeach24; 07-12-2019 at 07:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-12-2019, 08:02 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1651 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I would dump and replace the fluid based on it being 5+ years old... not so much the mileage. Coolant loses its corrosion protection over time. It looks good... no rust colored staining in the reservoir and the color looks good.

As far as the levels, I think you're just fine. You will lose some through evaporation over time. Just note where it is dead-cold and check it every couple of months. Also use a mirror to inspect around the water pump for signs of leakage, that is one of Toyota's few weak spots. My '08 Tacoma was noticeably throwing a small amount of coolant at 90k... I finally replaced the pump at around 110k. Wife's 04 Rav4 started showing some signs of weeping under the pump some time before 140k.

-- Rich

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry 7th Generation (2012-2017)