Blind spot warning doesn't work for merge? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Avalon 4th Generation (2013-2018) Specific discussion of the fourth generation Toyota Avalon

4Likes
  • 1 Post By Gadgetjq
  • 1 Post By raylor4
  • 2 Post By pianewman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 05-15-2019, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Blind spot warning doesn't work for merge?

Has anyone noticed, that when merging onto a freeway, left blinker on, if there's a car in the blind spot, the warning in the mirror doesn't come on? This only happens to me when merging into traffic. It works OK otherwise when cars come into my blind spot from behind. Wife tells me I HAVE to look over my shoulder when merging. So far, she's right. I've been honked more than once.
Ray A.

2004 Highlander AWD - Sold to a good home.
2011 Lexus RX350 - Wife's baby.
2016 Avalon Limited - My sweet ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-16-2019, 05:04 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raylor4 View Post
Has anyone noticed, that when merging onto a freeway, left blinker on, if there's a car in the blind spot, the warning in the mirror doesn't come on? This only happens to me when merging into traffic. It works OK otherwise when cars come into my blind spot from behind. Wife tells me I HAVE to look over my shoulder when merging. So far, she's right. I've been honked more than once.
Ray A.
Your wife is correct! Do not become dependent on all those goofy gadgets that are supposed to make driving safer-they don't!
The Following User Says Thank You to chuckoff For This Useful Post:
raylor4 (05-16-2019)
post #3 of 6 Old 05-16-2019, 07:37 AM
PJSMITH

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Garage
2016 should be under warranty.
Dealer service dept can check and as a safety issue it should be covered under warranty if it needs adjustment or has a part failure.
My experience is that the blind warning is usually good when cars are in the adjacent lane and nearby and the warning system is VERY specific to aim directly behind and beside you in the lane next to the car.
Most on-ramps are a bit askew to directly behind the car. More like a 15-25 degree oblique. It would be teh second lane over if you were on the freeway.
The sensor "AIM" would be crazy, if it was wide and aimed the beam 30 degrees wide. The car would be sensing two lanes over at every car that was near you. You and I would turn off the system if it was beeping all of the time.

Reasonable observation would be a careful test of the system if you are concerned. Look for that specific on-ramp that you are not warned with, and look at the angles. Take a careful look to see if you are expecting more than what it is capable of.
Remember that the sensor has a window to look at and see if it's asking too much. My wife has told me this same issue and the on-ramp to the 5 that she has it happen, is below the freeway level by 4 feet and is about 25 degrees off the rear of the car.

I think the dealer should be able to check it and don't expect more than what it is capable of.

Phil

2014 Avalon Hybrid Limited (TECH) 75K miles
2012 Volvo S60 T5 (Pumpkin)
2005 Triumph Rocket III

Completely Retired
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-16-2019, 07:48 AM
Inveterate Tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by raylor4 View Post
I've been honked more than once.
Drivers use horns in Cali now? Gads, not so long ago if someone used the horn you could be pretty sure they were a tourist from the (far) right side of the country. Same here in Arizona. During summer (when the snowbirds have gone home) you never hear a car horn but winter? Locals look at each other and say "they're back."

Seriously, as others have already mentioned if your on ramp is at an angle or not at the same level as that right freeway lane there's a chance the sensor won't see the vehicle. That's what the Mark I Eyeball is for.

Cheers!
pjsmithres likes this.

CLEVERLY DISGUISED AS A RESPONSIBLE ADULT
2014 Avalon Limited w Tech Pkg
Check Out Gadget's Avalon Mods Page
Link to Gadget's 'How-To' Movies
The Following User Says Thank You to Gadgetjq For This Useful Post:
raylor4 (05-16-2019)
post #5 of 6 Old 05-16-2019, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsmithres View Post
2016 should be under warranty.
Dealer service dept can check and as a safety issue it should be covered under warranty if it needs adjustment or has a part failure.
My experience is that the blind warning is usually good when cars are in the adjacent lane and nearby and the warning system is VERY specific to aim directly behind and beside you in the lane next to the car.
Most on-ramps are a bit askew to directly behind the car. More like a 15-25 degree oblique. It would be teh second lane over if you were on the freeway.
The sensor "AIM" would be crazy, if it was wide and aimed the beam 30 degrees wide. The car would be sensing two lanes over at every car that was near you. You and I would turn off the system if it was beeping all of the time.

Reasonable observation would be a careful test of the system if you are concerned. Look for that specific on-ramp that you are not warned with, and look at the angles. Take a careful look to see if you are expecting more than what it is capable of.
Remember that the sensor has a window to look at and see if it's asking too much. My wife has told me this same issue and the on-ramp to the 5 that she has it happen, is below the freeway level by 4 feet and is about 25 degrees off the rear of the car.

I think the dealer should be able to check it and don't expect more than what it is capable of.
Thank you, Phil. You've answered my question. Ray A.
pjsmithres likes this.

2004 Highlander AWD - Sold to a good home.
2011 Lexus RX350 - Wife's baby.
2016 Avalon Limited - My sweet ride.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-16-2019, 08:49 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
All good explanations, especially the one that says, " Do not become dependent on all those goofy gadgets that are supposed to make driving safer-they don't!" I have the blind spot warning, and still make the effort to turn and look. Helps to keep my neck/back young and supple! (might even be helping minimize the number of my chins...)
pjsmithres and arh like this.

2014 AvalonHybrid Limited
2015 Nissan Leaf S
2013 Ford CMax SEL
2017 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium
The Following User Says Thank You to pianewman For This Useful Post:
raylor4 (05-16-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > Avalon 4th Generation (2013-2018)