what is purpose of this rd lense? Int. rear doors. - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Avalon 4th Generation (2013-2018) Specific discussion of the fourth generation Toyota Avalon

 1Likes
  • 1 Post By pianewman
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 06-10-2019, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
New TN User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
what is purpose of this rd lense? Int. rear doors.

The front and passenger door are clear and light up.
But what is the purpose of these?
I pulled one out yesterday and there is nothing behind it. No bulb or wiring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC09208.JPG (133.6 KB, 35 views)
Hybridgrl92 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 06-10-2019, 08:55 AM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Ft. Worth, TX
Posts: 482
Blog Entries: 1
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Thanks: 2
Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Reflector, when you're on the side of the road, so cars can see the open door.

2014 AvalonHybrid Limited
2015 Nissan Leaf S
2013 Ford CMax SEL
2017 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium
pianewman is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 06-10-2019, 09:24 AM
Senior TN Member
 
Vangm25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 3,120
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Thanks: 23
Thanked 165 Times in 159 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Reflective lenses for when people can't see your opened door.

Vangm25 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 14 Old 06-10-2019, 09:40 AM
BeerSteakTxas
 
molson.david's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Intersection of Steak Ave. and Beer St.
Posts: 10,380
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Thanks: 467
Thanked 1,195 Times in 1,005 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
I'm not sure about reflective capabilities of this reflector. It's pretty small, positioned very low and based on what I've seen doesn't reflect much. Imo it was destined as a lens for the light, like on EU cars but for some reason engineers scrapped this idea.

2017 Avalon XLE premium
molson.david is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 06-10-2019, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
New TN User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianewman View Post
Reflector, when you're on the side of the road, so cars can see the open door.

Blah...


Why didn't they just run a wire and bulb to it.


I wonder how difficult it would be to run a wire to this housing and make it functional?
Hybridgrl92 is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 06-10-2019, 10:50 AM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Ft. Worth, TX
Posts: 482
Blog Entries: 1
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Thanks: 2
Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybridgrl92 View Post
Blah...


Why didn't they just run a wire and bulb to it.


I wonder how difficult it would be to run a wire to this housing and make it functional?
$$$...every little bit of cost-cutting helps. Whoever designed the reflector/light into the door design lost out when it came time to FUND the wiring/bulb socket/bulb/install cost. ALL manufacturers do similar things.

I'll bet someone here has installed the wiring and bulb...for me, it's not worth the time/effort/cost.
Vangm25 likes this.

2014 AvalonHybrid Limited
2015 Nissan Leaf S
2013 Ford CMax SEL
2017 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium
pianewman is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 06-10-2019, 11:50 AM
BeerSteakTxas
 
molson.david's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Intersection of Steak Ave. and Beer St.
Posts: 10,380
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Thanks: 467
Thanked 1,195 Times in 1,005 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybridgrl92 View Post
Blah...


Why didn't they just run a wire and bulb to it.


I wonder how difficult it would be to run a wire to this housing and make it functional?
Not difficult at all. Run a wire from a door trigger and find a suitable bulb holder or a small LED plate.

2017 Avalon XLE premium
molson.david is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 06-10-2019, 11:54 AM
BeerSteakTxas
 
molson.david's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Intersection of Steak Ave. and Beer St.
Posts: 10,380
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Thanks: 467
Thanked 1,195 Times in 1,005 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianewman View Post
$$$...every little bit of cost-cutting helps. Whoever designed the reflector/light into the door design lost out when it came time to FUND the wiring/bulb socket/bulb/install cost. ALL manufacturers do similar things.
+1 I played with my headliner a few days ago and looks like whoever destined the headliner and sunroof lost out as well and lost out big time, when it came to funding.

2017 Avalon XLE premium
molson.david is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 06-10-2019, 12:31 PM
New TN User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: San Marcos, TX
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Thanks: 15
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I stuck 6 inches of Red DOT reflective on the side of the door. When get round to it I will put some along the bottom too.

2013 TAH Limited 120k mi
Dan Raff is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 06-16-2019, 09:34 AM
Official TN Member
 
ToyoJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kansas
Posts: 512
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Thanks: 4
Thanked 56 Times in 55 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybridgrl92 View Post
The front and passenger door are clear and light up.
But what is the purpose of these?
I pulled one out yesterday and there is nothing behind it. No bulb or wiring.
The diagrams show these modules as being lighted on the gen 4 Avalon Limited hybrid but not on less expensive trims.

Of course there is no wiring for rear door lights on lower trims but the part numbers for the lenses and bulb holders for all the door lights for the Limited hybrid are as follows:

81080N LAMP ASSY, INTERIOR ILLUMINATION, NO.1
81080-07020

81362B LENS, INTERIOR ILLUMINATION LAMP
81362-07040 FRONT RH
81362-07050 FRONT LH
81362-07060 REAR RH
81362-07070 REAR LH

If you want some blazingly bright flashing amber warning/safety lights that come on when you open your front doors check out these from MIT: https://www.ebay.com/itm/MIT-TOYOTA-...0AAOSwB-1Yt8oV

These warning lights come in pairs - one for each front door - but I installed them only on our driver doors since that is where we are exposed when we parallel park on dark streets at night. I didn't see any point in installing them on our front passenger doors although doing that might be useful for those who parallel park on the left side of a one-way street. For some reason, the MIT product for the 2010-2015 Prius is less expensive but it "might" be the same product since the cheaper one for the Prius fit our Sienna Limited.

Original owner of 2012 Prius v Five and 2014 Sienna Limited - both Blizzard Pearl with Advanced Technology Package
ToyoJim is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 06-16-2019, 10:11 AM
PJSMITH
 
pjsmithres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Thanks: 10
Thanked 107 Times in 93 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Mine are lighted

Phil

2014 Avalon Hybrid Limited (TECH) 75K miles
2012 Volvo S60 T5 (Pumpkin)
2005 Triumph Rocket III

Completely Retired
pjsmithres is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 06-16-2019, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
New TN User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyoJim View Post
The diagrams show these modules as being lighted on the gen 4 Avalon Limited hybrid but not on less expensive trims.

Of course there is no wiring for rear door lights on lower trims but the part numbers for the lenses and bulb holders for all the door lights for the Limited hybrid are as follows:

81080N LAMP ASSY, INTERIOR ILLUMINATION, NO.1
81080-07020

81362B LENS, INTERIOR ILLUMINATION LAMP
81362-07040 FRONT RH
81362-07050 FRONT LH
81362-07060 REAR RH
81362-07070 REAR LH

If you want some blazingly bright flashing amber warning/safety lights that come on when you open your front doors check out these from MIT: https://www.ebay.com/itm/MIT-TOYOTA-...0AAOSwB-1Yt8oV

These warning lights come in pairs - one for each front door - but I installed them only on our driver doors since that is where we are exposed when we parallel park on dark streets at night. I didn't see any point in installing them on our front passenger doors although doing that might be useful for those who parallel park on the left side of a one-way street. For some reason, the MIT product for the 2010-2015 Prius is less expensive but it "might" be the same product since the cheaper one for the Prius fit our Sienna Limited.



Does these door warning lights have to flash?
When installed do they replace the door light on the bottom of the door?
Or can the be connected with the door lights do both light up on the door?
Hybridgrl92 is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 06-16-2019, 12:36 PM
Official TN Member
 
ToyoJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kansas
Posts: 512
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Thanks: 4
Thanked 56 Times in 55 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybridgrl92 View Post
Does these door warning lights have to flash?
When installed do they replace the door light on the bottom of the door?
Or can the be connected with the door lights do both light up on the door?
The MIT warning lights do not replace or affect the operation of the existing lights at the bottom of the doors.

The MIT warning lights have an in-line module in their wiring harness that causes them to flash at about the same rate as emergency flashers. There is no provision for turning the flashing off. I don't think I would want them if they didn't flash.

These door open warning lights replace the round plastic plug on the rear edges of the front doors. A YouTube video shows the warning lights on a Sienna:
Installation requires removing the door trim panel - easy to do but I've removed a lot of them and have the right tools.

There are at least three versions of this MIT product. The version for Toyotas with existing courtesy lights at the bottom of the front doors is the easiest to install since the MIT wiring harness connects to the existing courtesy light harness. In this version, the MIT amber light flashes only when the door is open - not like in the YouTube video which shows a more expensive and difficult to install product version that is sold for less expensive Toyotas that have reflectors instead of courtesy lights at the bottom of their front doors.

These door open warning light may not be beneficial for others as much as for us, e.g. we parallel park on a limited visibility sharp curve on a narrow street every time we pick up our mail from a community mailbox.

Original owner of 2012 Prius v Five and 2014 Sienna Limited - both Blizzard Pearl with Advanced Technology Package
ToyoJim is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old 06-16-2019, 09:39 PM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Ft. Worth, TX
Posts: 482
Blog Entries: 1
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Thanks: 2
Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Hmm...my 2014 TAH Limited does NOT have lights in the rear door reflectors. Another example of manufacturers de-contenting cars during production...to save costs...

2014 AvalonHybrid Limited
2015 Nissan Leaf S
2013 Ford CMax SEL
2017 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium
pianewman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > Avalon 4th Generation (2013-2018)

Bookmarks

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome