What DON'T you like about your Highlander? - Page 11 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Highlander 3rd Generation (2014-2019) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 3rd generation Toyota Highlanders.

83Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 299 Old 06-20-2018, 02:24 AM
2014 Highlander V6 2WD LE

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1767 Post(s)
Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Shhhhhhhh....Its OK
(whisper, in my best Sebastian Meniscalco voice)

http://a.co/cYTXTNO
2017Highlander likes this.

Advertisement

post #152 of 299 Old 07-20-2018, 01:02 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
hated items

the headlights are dangerous. The 'beams' are cutoff at the top quite sharply! Try driving into a dip...the other side is dark due to the upper sharp cutoff.

There is no adjustment. The lamps are recessed so far that the beams are restricted.
post #153 of 299 Old 07-20-2018, 02:54 AM
2014 Highlander V6 2WD LE

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1767 Post(s)
Supreme Member
Cut offs are pretty common in projector style lights....

The good news is that you can put Xenon Depot Philips HIDS, and you will not worry about the lights (Same cut off position for the most part but way more light).
I agree that the stock lights are dangerous, but more so that I could hardly see a thing in front of me in the rain at night. I plugged in the XD HIDs and it is a night and day difference.
I also use some bright LED ofgs, and XD LED highbeams, and they all help. I DO wish when pulling on the stock for the lights that the Highbeams would turn on independently from the low beam lights. But they both come on.

You might also just check and make sure yours are aligned properly. Not uncommon for them to be misaligned from factory.

Advertisement

post #154 of 299 Old 07-20-2018, 08:21 AM
b15
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgadgethighlander View Post
the headlights are dangerous. The 'beams' are cutoff at the top quite sharply! Try driving into a dip...the other side is dark due to the upper sharp cutoff.

There is no adjustment. The lamps are recessed so far that the beams are restricted.
Is this your first projector style car? There are adjustments to raise and lower. What are you looking to do? I wouldn't raise them as they are already aimed somewhat high from the factory.

Also the cutoffs are only OK.... it becomes apparent once brighter bulbs are installed.
post #155 of 299 Old 07-20-2018, 09:02 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by b15 View Post
I echo most of what has already been noted here. My biggest compliant at this price point are the lights. Halogen headlights and no LED tails? Come on Toyota, at least make it an upgrade in the Limited & Platinum trims.

One thing that bugs me is the HVAC functions. If I turn it off, the rear stays on until I press rear. To me, Off means off, including rear. Also when I turn on the HVAC, it doesn't automatically have all zones sync'd. All my other cars do this when you first turn it on.
With the high temps lately, this OFF oversight is really starting to bug me.
You're right. OFF means OFF for everything!
post #156 of 299 Old 07-20-2018, 10:11 AM
b15
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Wiz View Post
With the high temps lately, this OFF oversight is really starting to bug me.
You're right. OFF means OFF for everything!
I've been driving my wife's HL a lot more this summer and have come to the conclusion that the HVAC logic is just poorly thought out, especially control of the rear. For example, there's times where I want to change the fan speed of the rear HVAC but the only way to do it from the front is sync it, change everything, then hit the rear temp button to unsync from the front. Same applies if I want to change rear air direction.

It's almost like they designed the rear to work completely independent from the front then realized.....wait there's no way for the driver to control it. Then proceeded to implement a half baked solution by adding a rear temp & on/off button. With two little kids in rear facing seats, it'd be nice to have full control of the rear.
paperdad and Phil Indeblanc like this.
post #157 of 299 Old 07-20-2018, 12:11 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Garage
I use Google Maps on my phone a lot for destinations in the city. Then I realize I am not getting any audible commands. You have to change the blue tooth connection in the phone menu to no blue tooth media in order for the phone speaker to work. So it defaults to blue tooth media but there is no directions from the car speakers wither. So you have to change it in the menu but you cannot get to that part of the menu unless the car is in park. So I have to wait for a stop light or pull over to fix if I don't remember when I first get into the car. It does not remember the last setting so this is every time. I have not been able to find a setting on phone or car to fix unless I take phone off blue tooth but I like getting calls over the speaker. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Phil Indeblanc likes this.

It is unlucky to be superstitious.
post #158 of 299 Old 07-21-2018, 10:36 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I only have one complaint regarding our two week od Highlander XLE, we are totally unable to sync the Homelink with our garage door opener. Tried working with the dealership, followed all instructions on youtube and spent time with Homelink on phone and nada. Unable to get the Homelink beyond hard orange light. Nobody seems to know why, opener and handset are both compatible.
Other than that the car is fantastic, quiet, great quality materials and comes as advertised.
post #159 of 299 Old 07-21-2018, 10:43 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddybear9 View Post
I only have one complaint regarding our two week od Highlander XLE, we are totally unable to sync the Homelink with our garage door opener. Tried working with the dealership, followed all instructions on youtube and spent time with Homelink on phone and nada. Unable to get the Homelink beyond hard orange light. Nobody seems to know why, opener and handset are both compatible.
Other than that the car is fantastic, quiet, great quality materials and comes as advertised.
With our 2017 I got 2 of 3 to work. Maybe move your HL and try to do it from a different spot.
post #160 of 299 Old 07-21-2018, 10:43 AM
b15
Official TN Member

Quote:
Have you tried clearing the memory of the garage door opener? Maybe it has a Max? What kind of opener do you have?
post #161 of 299 Old 07-21-2018, 10:46 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Chamberlain opener, fully compatible, cleared memory with buttons 1 and 3 and cannot get this thing to sync. Been trying for two weeks, now have given up and will do it the old fashioned way with a remote.
post #162 of 299 Old 07-21-2018, 03:37 PM
b15
Official TN Member

Interesting. Ours paired with our Chamberlain with no issues, sucks you're having issues. I meant try clearing all stored remotes on the opener side. Worth a shot. What year Highlander?
post #163 of 299 Old 07-21-2018, 08:29 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Chamberlain opener, fully compatible, cleared memory with buttons 1 and 3 and cannot get this thing to sync. Been trying for two weeks, now have given up and will do it the old fashioned way with a remote.
I had a couple issues with my Chamberlain.
On my other car, I simply pressed the learn button in the garage and sync'd my car Homelink button and it was finished.

However, on my Highlander, I had to:
1. Sync my Chamberlain remote with the Homelink button first. (Hold remote button and Homelink button until orange flashing turns to green)

2. Press the learn button in the garage

3. Hold down the programmed Homelink button for a couple seconds, repeatedly until garage opens/closes.
post #164 of 299 Old 07-22-2018, 06:02 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
It's my wife's car, (2017) but I think she agrees with me on these things that we aren't thrilled with-

1. Not a fan of the Stop/Start "Feature".
2. The sound of the JBL "Premium" stereo sucks and the positioning of it on the dash is awkward.
3. The (reasonably expensive) navigation system is not very user friendly compared to google maps.
4. 8 Speed transmission is a dog. Had the software update done and it's slightly better, but I still prefer my 4Runner tranny.
post #165 of 299 Old 07-22-2018, 09:31 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
The auto cut off feature at a red light to save gas is absolute TRASH! The fact that there’s no option to turn it off completely without having to do it every time you enter the vehicle is even worse!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > Highlander 3rd Generation (2014-2019)