What DON'T you like about your Highlander? - Page 17 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Highlander 3rd Generation (2014-2019) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 3rd generation Toyota Highlanders.

 83Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #241 of 299 Old 11-15-2018, 08:55 PM
New TN User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Have had my Highlander for 3 months. 2018 HL Limited Platinum.

LOVE almost everything!
BUT, some things I would tweak:
1. Folding outside mirrors
2. Have heated steering wheel heat whole wheel, not just part of it.
3. LED headlights

All I can think of now, but it is a TOP NOTCH SUV.
willow_boy likes this.
toyofam2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #242 of 299 Old 11-24-2018, 09:44 PM
New TN User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I am so frustrated that 3 days after I purchased my Highlander, Toyota was so kind as to remove the only apps included with Entune that I actually used. What is left is the same system included on automobiles 15 years ago. I understand that Apple CarPlay is being included on other 2019’s with Entune 3.0. Since they have proven they can push an update to the automobile, when are they going to push the update for my $40k Highlander to provide me with Apple’s CarPlay, where I can have a “real” interface to my phone? Using a phone with Entune is simply dangerous. It is no different than trying to operate a phone with no interface. It is an accident waiting to happen!!!

Please push out the update that includes CarPlay.
jontykay likes this.
Bobhighlander is offline  
post #243 of 299 Old 11-27-2018, 08:12 PM
New TN User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Exterior and interior lights don’t come on when remotely unlocking. Not good when your in a dark area.
Center console is too wide, at the drivers leg area.
So far that’s all I got.
Bullnamedalgee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #244 of 299 Old 11-27-2018, 08:30 PM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 304
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Thanks: 5
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullnamedalgee View Post
Exterior and interior lights don’t come on when remotely unlocking. Not good when your in a dark area.
Center console is too wide, at the drivers leg area.
So far that’s all I got.
Some of my outside lights flash with remote unlocking. Maybe there is an option or setting to keep the lights on?
I haven't noticed the console problem.
hoonose_2000 is offline  
post #245 of 299 Old 11-27-2018, 08:57 PM
New TN User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoonose_2000 View Post
Some of my outside lights flash with remote unlocking. Maybe there is an option or setting to keep the lights on?
I haven't noticed the console problem.
If they had just curved it in a little, It rubs just at lower knee. If you get a chance jump in a Honda Pilot. See the curve on the Honda’s console it made a difference I never felt it in the Honda. Noticed it right away in HL. Attached some pictures not the best, but you can see the curve vs the straight dash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ED1C0E33-588D-426D-A359-6870E2E2F7E9.jpeg
Views:	173
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	228768   Click image for larger version

Name:	8AD49EBD-AA71-4614-B3F4-D7AF1B0D7333.jpeg
Views:	165
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	228770  
Bullnamedalgee is offline  
post #246 of 299 Old 11-27-2018, 09:04 PM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 304
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Thanks: 5
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullnamedalgee View Post
If they had just curved it in a little, It rubs just at lower knee. If you get a chance jump in a Honda Pilot. See the curve on the Honda’s console it made a difference I never felt it in the Honda. Noticed it right away in HL. Attached some pictures not the best, but you can see the curve vs the straight dash.
Well mine's a 2017. Maybe they changed something there? I've got 3 or 4 fingers width between my knee and the console.
hoonose_2000 is offline  
post #247 of 299 Old 11-27-2018, 11:12 PM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhighlander View Post
I am so frustrated that 3 days after I purchased my Highlander, Toyota was so kind as to remove the only apps included with Entune that I actually used. What is left is the same system included on automobiles 15 years ago. I understand that Apple CarPlay is being included on other 2019’s with Entune 3.0. Since they have proven they can push an update to the automobile, when are they going to push the update for my $40k Highlander to provide me with Apple’s CarPlay, where I can have a “real” interface to my phone? Using a phone with Entune is simply dangerous. It is no different than trying to operate a phone with no interface. It is an accident waiting to happen!!!

Please push out the update that includes CarPlay.

need Android Auto for the rest of us

2018 Highlander XLE AWD w/ OEM hitch
Michelin Latitude Tour tires
Donut spare replaced with full-sized spare
billy_kidd is offline  
post #248 of 299 Old 05-29-2019, 02:29 PM
2019 HL XLE
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I wish the radio knobs were at the bottom and therefore easier to reach. At the top they are tilted away. Also the radio and heater knobs are too thin/slippery. They need a better grip either with a taller profile or maybe knurl the finish.
Right now I am trying to find some aftermarket blind spot mirrors that will allow me to see near the tires when parking. The stock mirrors are mounted in a position that they do not allow easy viewing of parking lot lines or curbs. The body side contour gets in the way. Maybe an adjustable factory convex mirror like the Fords have would be a good solution.
I hate the compass. It is the least intuitive thing I have ever seen. Why can't it operate with either a simple N E NE NW etc. or make the outside circle spin so the direction you are moving is always at the top like a normal compass? Also it should not be on it's own dedicated screen. Maybe integrate it with the display above the radio.
The controls for the radio and functions on the steering wheel can be improved by moving some stuff like volume to the back of the wheel.
Put some charging ports in the center console.
Nirvada is offline  
post #249 of 299 Old 05-29-2019, 02:35 PM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 304
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Thanks: 5
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvada View Post
I wish the radio knobs were at the bottom and therefore easier to reach. At the top they are tilted away. Also the radio and heater knobs are too thin/slippery. They need a better grip either with a taller profile or maybe knurl the finish.
Right now I am trying to find some aftermarket blind spot mirrors that will allow me to see near the tires when parking. The stock mirrors are mounted in a position that they do not allow easy viewing of parking lot lines or curbs. The body side contour gets in the way. Maybe an adjustable factory convex mirror like the Fords have would be a good solution.
I hate the compass. It is the least intuitive thing I have ever seen. Why can't it operate with either a simple N E NE NW etc. or make the outside circle spin so the direction you are moving is always at the top like a normal compass? Also it should not be on it's own dedicated screen. Maybe integrate it with the display above the radio.
The controls for the radio and functions on the steering wheel can be improved by moving some stuff like volume to the back of the wheel.
Put some charging ports in the center console.
Thank god there's a fix for the compass. If I remember right, go into the navigation screen and if you click on the compass icon it changes to 3D view. Now reflected as a usable compass in the center screen.
hoonose_2000 is offline  
post #250 of 299 Old 05-29-2019, 03:20 PM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Thanks: 11
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
1: purchase price
2:city mpg
3:auto stop start
4:standard transmission mode selects too higher gear in the 30 to 50 mph range, quite often pulling 1200 rpm which on slow down speed up situations causes the vehicle to fall in a performance hole.
All these things more detract from the enjoyment of a good vehicle and are not major issues.
poker838 likes this.
Nzott is offline  
post #251 of 299 Old 05-29-2019, 03:32 PM
2019 HL XLE
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoonose_2000 View Post
Thank god there's a fix for the compass. If I remember right, go into the navigation screen and if you click on the compass icon it changes to 3D view. Now reflected as a usable compass in the center screen.
THANKS! I saw the compass in the multi-functional display was "NAV linked" but didn't think to look around in the NAV Map Options setup. Something I think they need to point out in plain language in the owners manual. It's better now. I still think it needs to be available on the display above the radio.

One more area of improvement. Link the clock to be set automatically with the NAV GPS.
Nirvada is offline  
post #252 of 299 Old 05-29-2019, 06:50 PM
New TN User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Other car is a 2003 Expedition and the 2018 HyHy was the first new car we purchased since then so 15 years in between new car purchases. So some of the following items I bring up are from comparing what our 15 year old Expedition offers. After 1 year ownership and 15k miles here's what I've got:
1) Read the entire thread and didn't see this mentioned once; outdoor temp display. Why can't it be in the middle next to the clock? On driver's side in small font, really? Definitely not a cost issue so what gives? Exp has temp front and center, can easily be read from the 3rd row.
2) Another item I haven't seen anyone mention; the visors. Seems when Yugo went belly up someone at Toyota jumped on the surplus. I've owned many autos in my 45 years of driving and can honestly say I've never experienced a cheaper or smaller visor. In Exp there are double large visors which come in handy especially when driving curvy roads. In HyHy you have to constantly switch it front to side. Lousy choice by Toyota to save money here.
3) What happened to air conditioned seats? Yes, it is better to have non-cooled ventilation than nothing at all. On the Exp the leather seats have filtered air pumping true air conditioning(and heat as well) with 5 settings. Works beautifully and is really appreciated as most know how hot those seats can get. I could imagine just about anyone living anywhere it's pretty damn hot for 5-6 months out of the year would really like this feature.
4) Would like hood struts. Again, Exp has them and in 15 years they have never failed.
5) When you push button for AC it would be nice if some part of the button lit up to indicate AC is on(like in the Sienna). Instead a tiny "ac" indicator comes on in climate display.
6) Another feature no one mentioned is to have the ability to change temp and fan control on steering wheel. On the Exp I use those controls constantly. You learn where they are so you don't have to take your eyes off the road when using them. Also, audio controls and cruise controls are all on steering wheel.
7) Wish I could adjust Nav screen angle(like in the Sienna) so the sun wouldn't wash it out, especially with moon roof open.
8) Folding mirrors would be nice in tight parking lots and garage parking. Also, tilt down on reverse would be a big help.
9) Lane assist is annoying and kicks in when not warranted so turned it off.
10) Auto high beams react to the least shiny items like a beer can on the side of the road so turned that off as well. Plus, they would react too slowly to an oncoming driver so they had to endure blinding light for a bit.
11) Due to another thread concerning the sub vibrating like crazy was able to get a fix under "warranty" so that is no longer an issue. Sound system is okay and at my age I won't upgrade.
psrider is offline  
post #253 of 299 Old 05-31-2019, 04:32 PM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Thanks: 20
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
The big one for me (in the XLE) is no memory seat/mirrors. ALL cars with power seats should have memory divers seat. I’m sure it would add almost nothing to the cost of manufacturing the vehicle.
I’m 6’3... my wife is 4’11” and I feel like I’m constantly adjusting the seat & mirrors.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rseward is offline  
post #254 of 299 Old 06-01-2019, 11:52 AM
New TN User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhighlander View Post
I am so frustrated that 3 days after I purchased my Highlander, Toyota was so kind as to remove the only apps included with Entune that I actually used. What is left is the same system included on automobiles 15 years ago. I understand that Apple CarPlay is being included on other 2019’s with Entune 3.0. Since they have proven they can push an update to the automobile, when are they going to push the update for my $40k Highlander to provide me with Apple’s CarPlay, where I can have a “real” interface to my phone? Using a phone with Entune is simply dangerous. It is no different than trying to operate a phone with no interface. It is an accident waiting to happen!!!

Please push out the update that includes CarPlay.


Just saw this on the Sienna owners forum.. Hopefully we get an upgrade too


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
psrider likes this.
jontykay is offline  
post #255 of 299 Old 06-01-2019, 05:48 PM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Thanks: 11
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jontykay View Post
Just saw this on the Sienna owners forum.. Hopefully we get an upgrade too


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not this again, those vehicles were sold with entune 3.0, the highlander has a version of 2.0 which dates back to 2014...sorry it ain't happening...please read

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Entune

Nzott is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > Highlander 3rd Generation (2014-2019)

Bookmarks

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome