What DON'T you like about your Highlander? - Page 4 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Highlander 3rd Generation (2014-2019) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 3rd generation Toyota Highlanders.

83Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 299 Old 04-20-2018, 05:51 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
It's like getting married... that girl looked so sexy in the beginning... then you start noticing one or two things... then before you know it, it's a list.

2017 HL XLE AWD
The Following User Says Thank You to dchobo For This Useful Post:
lgb0250 (04-20-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 299 Old 04-20-2018, 07:38 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchobo View Post
It's like getting married... that girl looked so sexy in the beginning... then you start noticing one or two things... then before you know it, it's a list.
Now I understand!!😂😂

2018 Toyota Highlander Limited Platinum Blizzard Pearl w/Almond Leather
2018 Nissan Rogue SV Premium GunMetal w/Black
post #48 of 299 Old 04-20-2018, 11:00 PM
2014 Highlander V6 2WD LE

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1766 Post(s)
Supreme Member
Just because people dislike things about a vehicle, doesn't mean they don't like the entire car.
Besides, its not like there are any better options in this range of a car. There are a few, but I happen to like Toyota's for their lack of planned obsolescence approach to cars...for the most part at least.

I bought this more for the reliability than any feature. Just as Dave above, those added features just get in the way after some time, and some occasions they do a great job. I rarely find myself in those latter occasions.
So I think I rather save the amount of money that is enough to buy a decent used car ($15+K) instead of paying them for those options.
I thought about the Volvo that was coming out in 2014/15. That was around $50+K, yet the reliability of that new design I didn't have all the info on.
I didn't wait for the Honda either. Nissan was CVT, so that was out. Mitsubishi was small, and hardly available here, and Mazda was lacking much in 2014 models of CX7to9. Now they are great again. Now you have a all time AWD Subaru based on the Highlander, that also looks great(I think they have a v6 option on the top trim? not sure).

I really like Toyota. Have had a couple before this and appreciate the no frills approach. Happy with it so far!

So I will take a solid engine, trans, and nice looking and functioning interior...I never purchase a car for the sound system or wheels, as I often change something in that area. Lights can always be upgraded as well.

The cross bar is a functional flaw which I can live with as I don't use it that often.
Most others are cosmetic.

So if you take out all the extras to the car, it is pretty solid, and a good value in the $28K -35K range....for me at least.
G Wiz likes this.

Last edited by Phil Indeblanc; 04-21-2018 at 05:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 299 Old 04-20-2018, 11:17 PM
2014 Highlander V6 2WD LE

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1766 Post(s)
Supreme Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by b15 View Post
I didn't realize LED or HID headlights were only expected at that price point. Oh wait...

Sure these are "luxuries" and if you have a base model, you don't expect any of this, but at the price point of Limited and Platinum it'd be nice to see some of these "luxuries", like factory LED/HID, available. Furthermore, these standard in 20k cars these days. Sure I could go aftermarket, but there are somethings I like better from the factory, headlights are one of them.
How do you know you'll like the factory lights without seeing them. Its like saying I like the JBL sound system upgrade because it sounds great. It doesn't. And its not just my opinion. They had a set budget and that is what they got.
But it jumps in trim and price for it, and I bet many used that feature at least to some degree for the higher trim.

The rear hatch. I tried it, I have had a rear hatch that auto opens, and oddly my wife didn't care for it. After seeing the speed...I don't have the patients to wait for that. If I REALLY want it, its a $400-500 (~$200-to install) upgrade for a much better after market unit. Same with Sunroof.

Safety features? Eat a better diet and you just shaved you chances of dying in a hospital. Apparently the #3 death in the US is hospital error. Plenty airbags to bounce around in, and a seatbelt that might save or kill me. The rest I expect to do myself. ;-)
Luxury? The best thing you can do is sound deaden the car, good tires, makes an amazing difference. Add a sound system, and now you have custom tailored luxury stuff...in a Toyota :-)

I know...I am being rare...Most people want these things from the MFG, and expect them to work well when it is offered. I agree, but often have been let down before when I have done in the past. So maybe my experience helped a bit, at least for my expectations. Its also due to the fact that I keep some cars more than 4 years, or even 7 years. This is one of them.
I think it maybe a Toyota growing pain syndrome in these departments?....Or they have it calculated in their marketing vs engineering costs? I don't know why one model car like Camry has one thing while the other does not?

Last edited by Phil Indeblanc; 04-25-2018 at 10:01 PM.
post #50 of 299 Old 04-21-2018, 03:30 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Lot of info here. Toyota best ROI, Wife asked me this : When the auto braking happens, cruise, etc. Does the brake lights come on ?

Crank
Phil Indeblanc likes this.
post #51 of 299 Old 04-21-2018, 05:44 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix1 View Post
...Wife asked me this : When the auto braking happens, cruise, etc. Does the brake lights come on ?

Crank
Yes, it's in the owner's manual somewhere and quoted in another thread - just don't know where right now and haven't had enough coffee yet to motivate me to go looking.

'18 Ltd AWD - Blizzard Pearl/Black
If I don't respond to an ignorant or asinine post it's not that I agree with you - I'm just ignoring you.
post #52 of 299 Old 04-21-2018, 08:45 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchobo View Post
Maybe good idea to look seriously at her mom. Genes play a big part of this. I married at 28 years of age, took time, it has lasted.
Crank
post #53 of 299 Old 04-21-2018, 09:50 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver18xle View Post
1) The map display is nearly impossible to read in the sunlight
2) Still haven't figured out how to turn OFF the route guidance during a trip. I have to DELETE the destination????
3) The driver's side mirror is not dimming like the rear view mirror
4) No LED low beams -- I had to install aftermarket to be able to see in the rain at night
5) Interior overhead lights are yellow and dim -- upgraded those, too
6) Do you know how long it took me to get used to hitting the fuel door release button???
7) That silly Toyota cruise control stick -- put it on the steering wheel already
8) In radar cruise control, the trans downshifts so much that it will tach around 4,000 rpm going down a hill.
9) Wind noise around the side windows above 40 mph
10) Getting water on me when I open the door when the roof is wet. Seems like the roof should have a better gutter system to keep the inside drier.
11) A default of start/stop always being ON. No way to defeat that annoying feature. Start/stop has to do a number on the starter over time, I would think.
12) Try lifting that hood if you have arthritic hands and then reaching for the strut to hold it up. Ouch.
13) Would be nice to have a luggage light on the left and top as well as the right side.

That's my baker's dozen. But I really like the heft of the vehicle, the solid build feel and the ride is really nice. I find the seats very comfortable. Compared to the 2008 Tahoe LS I used to have, you can't be the luxury and better gas mileage and safety features.
I've seen that on #8, but the MPG meter was still pegged on high.
post #54 of 299 Old 04-21-2018, 09:55 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsmitty10 View Post
I’m sure most of us did our “due diligence” before buying I made this thread as a “cmon Toyota” type of thing. If I wanted all these things the Highlander is missing I would have bought a top spec domestic of any brand(Durango, Explorer, Acadia etc) but like I said earlier in the thread I went that route once and I’m back to Toyota. And like others said, they sell like hot cakes either way so why change it? Same thing with when I bought my 2012 Camry. EVERY comparable car on the market at the time had turn signals on the mirrors. Not a biggy but people on this forum were modding theirs with venza mirrors to get that feature that “should” have already been included but camrys sell like hot cakes too so I think it took another two or so years til they actually added that feature to them lol. I really enjoy my Highlander(even know the wife gets to drive it mostly) and wouldn’t buy anything else on the market right now. Heck we can complain all we want about our 40-50k landers not having remote start but do Lexus even come with it? I know an 85k land cruiser doesn’t. Just Toyota for ya I guess
I sure did when I bought a fully loaded Platinum FWD sans roof rack but including running boards, and then cripes, no remote start?

These are a bit too complicated to remember and consider all features, needs and options.

There was a knee airbag. The Chevy Traverse this HL replaced, about wrecked my right knee in our devastating crash.
post #55 of 299 Old 04-21-2018, 11:20 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Vehicles have so many characteristics, these days, that there are literally dozens of trade-offs that one has to make. I use Apple everything from PC to AirPods so it bugs me that Toyota is the major holdout among the big car companies in trying to keep CarPlay and Android Auto out. That definitely putting Toyota's marketing interests before its customers. They know that they won't be able to sell their $1500 NAV/infotainment packages unless they are being used for something. It doesn't even work well as a touch screen compared to a smartphone. Looking at the interior of the new RAV, they seem to be doubling down by sticking the screen up and saying "Why aren't you looking at this instead of your stupid smartphone?"

Obviously, I liked a bunch of other things more so much that I don't think I had ever been inside a Highlander until I got in to drive it home. No test drive. I had never even seen a 2017 since mine was one of the first that they received.

2017 Highlander SE AWD

Last edited by StatCoder; 04-21-2018 at 11:27 AM.
post #56 of 299 Old 04-21-2018, 04:11 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
I did not like the stop start feature, that has been corrected. No transmission dipstick I know they all do it now but still annoying. Sun roof did not want it but stuck with it.

2017 Highlander Limited
2009 Camry SE V6
2002 Camry LE
1996 T100 SR5
1993 Corolla DX Wagon
1981 Tercel
post #57 of 299 Old 04-21-2018, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StatCoder View Post
Vehicles have so many characteristics, these days, that there are literally dozens of trade-offs that one has to make. I use Apple everything from PC to AirPods so it bugs me that Toyota is the major holdout among the big car companies in trying to keep CarPlay and Android Auto out. That definitely putting Toyota's marketing interests before its customers. They know that they won't be able to sell their $1500 NAV/infotainment packages unless they are being used for something. It doesn't even work well as a touch screen compared to a smartphone. Looking at the interior of the new RAV, they seem to be doubling down by sticking the screen up and saying "Why aren't you looking at this instead of your stupid smartphone?"

Obviously, I liked a bunch of other things more so much that I don't think I had ever been inside a Highlander until I got in to drive it home. No test drive. I had never even seen a 2017 since mine was one of the first that they received.
Yeah I’m not a fan of the tablet sticking out of the dash look..

2018 Highlander Platinum Blizzard Pearl
Morimoto 35w 5500k HIDs
2012 Camry SE V6 Loaded Barcelona Red
Morimoto 35w 5000k HIDs~
post #58 of 299 Old 04-22-2018, 09:01 AM
b15
Official TN Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNH View Post
Actually the cost manufacturing cost difference is minuscule for them.

And if that's your argument for what was cost cut...you missed my point completely.
What are you trying to achieve here? Your 200k response clearly indicates you missed what I and many others are stating about some of these parts bin options being omitted for the 40k+ spent. I never said I wasn't expecting cost cutting. Furthermore, even if the cost to add HID, for example, is so miniscule as you so confidently state....that minimal cost times all the models that have sold and, could have had it standard, further proves my point that these were most likely omitted for costs.

Its a volume seller so yes, minimal cost cutting definitely factors into the big picture of margin. On the flip side, sure Toyota could've offered it with an additional charge to maintain their margin targets but I'm sure the business case to support it meant pushing the price of the HL even higher into a territory that would jeporadize sales and cross into Lexus markets, which coicindently is where you find these options.
post #59 of 299 Old 04-22-2018, 09:03 AM
b15
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgb0250 View Post
I understand what you’re saying but my point of view is that if people do their due diligence before purchasing a vehicle and still decide to buy it, they don’t really have a leg to stand on when it comes to complaining about the known issues or have nots! Are their things I wish that were different? Absolutely. Am I going to complain about it or become annoyed? At my age I enjoy everything I can get. Well, maybe not the shingles I recently had. It is what it is.
I get what you're saying. To me, these are fairly minor annoyances that weren't enough to justify crossing it off the list. Safety was my top priority and HL exceeds that category!
post #60 of 299 Old 04-22-2018, 09:16 AM
b15
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Indeblanc View Post
How do you know you'll like the factory lights without seeing them. Its like saying I like the JBL sound system upgrade because it sounds great. It doesn't. And its not just my opinion. They had a set budget and that is what they got.
But it jumps in trim and price for it, and I bet many used that feature at least to some degree for the higher trim.

The rear hatch. I tried it, I have had a rear hatch that auto opens, and oddly my wife didn't care for it. After seeing the speed...I don't have the patients to wait for that. If I REALLY want it, its a $400-500 (~$200-to install) upgrade for a much better after market unit. Same with Sunroof.

Safety features? Eat a better diet and you just shaved you chances of dying in a hospital. Apparently the #3 death in the US is hospital error. Plenty airbags to bounce around in, and a seatbelt that might save or kill me. The rest I expect to do myself.
Luxury? The best thing you can do is sound deaden the car, good tires, makes an amazing difference. Add a sound system, and now you have custom tailored luxury stuff...in a Toyota :-)

I know...I am being rare...Most people want these things from the MFG, and expect them to work well when it is offered. I agree, but often have been let down before when I have done in the past. So maybe my experience helped a bit, at least for my expectations. Its also due to the fact that I keep some cars more than 4 years, or even 7 years. This is one of them.
I think it maybe a Toyota growing pain syndrome in these departments?....Or they have it calculated in their marketing vs engineering costs? I don't know why one model car like Camry has one thing while the other does not?
I see a lot of justifications for why you bought an LE which is great for you. But that's not for me. Do I need the options especially the extra safety ones? No but do I feel better at night that my wife and kids are riding around with them? Yep! Nothing wrong with either view we all just get what fits our wants/needs.

My soap box in regards to my lightning experiences.....There's is never a case where a properly designed factory HID system is worse than just slapping a kit on a halogen designed system. Sure they both utilize projectors but it's not that simple. I've been all routes, from simply slapping on a kit, which I wasn't happy with, to retro fitting proper projectors, which was a pain but great learning experience and what I was most happy with. Factory usually falls in the middle for me and I don't need to worry about ballast issues. It's been some years since I've owned an aftermarket system so I'm sure they're much better reliability wise but I gave that up many years and ago and decided to stick with factory.
Phil Indeblanc likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > Highlander 3rd Generation (2014-2019)