Low Braking Power Engine Wouldn’t Start 2018 AWD Limited - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Highlander 3rd Generation (2014-2019) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 3rd generation Toyota Highlanders.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 08-16-2018, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Low Braking Power Engine Wouldn’t Start 2018 AWD Limited

Have a 2018 Highlander AWD Lmited w Platinum package. It’s about a month old with 2000 miles.

Love the vehicle so far but my wife and I were at lunch today and came out, tried to start the vehicle and got a message something to the effect “low braking power” and the vehicle wouldn’t start. I did not have the presence of mind to take a photo because I was so flustered. About the time I was ready to give up it started and has started twice since.

I did do an internet search and saw this was an issue with RAV 4s a few years ago. Anyone have any ideas what this may be and particularly if it might leave me stranded. Yes I will take it to the dealer but with no photo and the unlikelihood that they can recreate the issue, not sure what they can do unless it stores a code?

Was planning on doing a 6 hour road trip this weekend otherwise would take it to the dealer tomorrow and leave it.

Any insight is appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 08-16-2018, 06:12 PM
Toyota Collector

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 2433 Post(s)
Thanked 1,363 Times in 1,273 Posts
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
On the RX there was a recall of the brake booster not sure if the same deal is going on for your Highlander. There could very well be stored codes, also this error is quite specific so the dealer can't try the excuse that they don't have enough information.

2000 Lexus ES300 Millenium Edition
1990 Camry LE V6 Anniversary Edition 5-Speed
1990 Camry LE V6 WAGON
1987 Camry LE I4 5-Speed
post #3 of 33 Old 08-16-2018, 06:36 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 731 Post(s)
Could be that the computer is not detecting enough pressure on the brake pedal when trying to start (engine won't start unless foot is on the brakes). This could be a problem with the brake pedal mechnism, or a problem with the person trying to start the vehicle.

I would try pumping the brakes hard while in Park, and also apply the parking brake hard and release it about 5 times. On some vehicles, this helps with self-adjusting brakes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 08-16-2018, 06:38 PM
Limited

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
I have taken vehicles with problems to dealer service departments before and I didn't have a picture. Never knew it was required. And if I had a pic and they couldn't replicate the problem, what then?

2017 Highlander Limited AWD, Blizzard Pearl on Black
post #5 of 33 Old 08-16-2018, 07:26 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Can you take it by the dealer and see if it stored a code? If it did not and it cannot be duplicated go on your trip.

2017 Highlander Limited
2009 Camry SE V6
2002 Camry LE
1996 T100 SR5
1993 Corolla DX Wagon
1981 Tercel
post #6 of 33 Old 08-17-2018, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017Highlander View Post
I have taken vehicles with problems to dealer service departments before and I didn't have a picture. Never knew it was required. And if I had a pic and they couldn't replicate the problem, what then?

Thanks. Helpful. I too normally do not take a picture or a video, but because I could not remember exactly what the message displayed, or what other information was displayed, I thought it might be helpful in case no code was stored AND I continued to have a problem. I think you would agree that even if a code is not stored if your vehicle will not start, that is a problem, even if a computer says there is no problem.

My thoughts were that photographic and or videographic documentation was evidence that there is a problem which could be important if the problem persists.

I did take the vehicle to the dealer this morning and there were no codes stored and no other problems were noted with the vehicle. I will move on and chalk it up to a perfect storm sequence of events (no idea what they would be) or a one off that hopefully will not occur again. Would not be fun to be stuck in a remote location and have this occur and the vehicle ultimately NOT start.

Thanks for the feedback and if anyone else has had this happen would appreciate hearing about it even if it was just a one off and did not happen again.

Hikariknight likes this.
post #7 of 33 Old 08-20-2018, 10:56 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
More and likely this caused by a vacuum leak. Engine and brake vacuum are all part of the same system. If Vacuum is low then engine will have a problem starting.
post #8 of 33 Old 08-21-2018, 11:27 AM
2014 Highlander V6 2WD LE

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1730 Post(s)
Supreme Member
https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/3...l#post13704234

post #9 of 33 Old 08-21-2018, 12:56 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Indeblanc View Post

Not a vacuum leak as I said...but it seems to be vacuum related.
Phil Indeblanc likes this.
post #10 of 33 Old 08-21-2018, 02:34 PM
2014 Highlander V6 2WD LE

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1730 Post(s)
Supreme Member
I thought it is likely differnet, with little thought to it... in the off chance there is a relation, or a need of TSb...might as well have it looked at :-)

post #11 of 33 Old 08-30-2018, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Indeblanc View Post

My vehicle is not part of this recall and what is described in the recall notice is not what is happening with my vehicle although the low braking power light IS what I am seeing when the vehicle will not start.

When I put my foot on the vehicle to start it the low brake power light comes on and the vehicle will not start. I have no braking issues at all.

This happened again last night and I had the presence of mind to take a photo so that I could show it to the dealer since he looked at me like I had 2 heads when I took it in last time.

Last night I quickly took my foot off the brake and cut the ignition off, and then went through the start up procedure again at which time it fired right up. Almost like re-booting a computer.

My wife thinks I need to take it back to the dealer. As long as I can just go through the start up sequence and get it to start quickly I don’t plan on taking it back to the dealer. I know they will tell me they could not recreate the problem and that no code was thrown. Just hoping this doesn’t keep happening or if it does i can get it to start quickly by cutting the ignition off and then going through the start up sequence a second time.

post #12 of 33 Old 08-30-2018, 07:39 AM
2018 HL Limited AWD

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefty7333 View Post
My vehicle is not part of this recall and what is described in the recall notice is not what is happening with my vehicle although the low braking power light IS what I am seeing when the vehicle will not start.

When I put my foot on the vehicle to start it the low brake power light comes on and the vehicle will not start. I have no braking issues at all.

This happened again last night and I had the presence of mind to take a photo so that I could show it to the dealer since he looked at me like I had 2 heads when I took it in last time.

Last night I quickly took my foot off the brake and cut the ignition off, and then went through the start up procedure again at which time it fired right up. Almost like re-booting a computer.

My wife thinks I need to take it back to the dealer. As long as I can just go through the start up sequence and get it to start quickly I don’t plan on taking it back to the dealer. I know they will tell me they could not recreate the problem and that no code was thrown. Just hoping this doesn’t keep happening or if it does i can get it to start quickly by cutting the ignition off and then going through the start up sequence a second time.

What you are describing is not normal and I would caution against your ostrich strategy. Things don’t generally “go away” and it could be(come) a major issue. Your best avenue is to have the attempts to repair/resolve well documented by the dealer.
post #13 of 33 Old 08-30-2018, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRoadTrip View Post
What you are describing is not normal and I would caution against your ostrich strategy. Things don’t generally “go away” and it could be(come) a major issue. Your best avenue is to have the attempts to repair/resolve well documented by the dealer.

Yea.... Even though my inclination at this point is to not go back to the dealer, if it continues I probably will take it back....just feel confident it will be to no avail unless the occurrence frequency increases. Then I will be left with a lemon law fight.

Really like this vehicle and hate this is happening. I have had Toyota smart key vehicles for years, so not like I don’t know how to push the button and start them!

post #14 of 33 Old 08-30-2018, 11:47 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefty7333 View Post
Yea.... Even though my inclination at this point is to not go back to the dealer, if it continues I probably will take it back....just feel confident it will be to no avail unless the occurrence frequency increases. Then I will be left with a lemon law fight.

FWIW...Going to dealer can be a PIA. As mentioned & u need paper trail (r/o listing your issue) on this no start with msg. Somekinda glitch for sure. Your no where near Lemon law at this time. Yeah, decisions, decisions. Anyhow, good luck on outcome.

2014 HL Blizzard Pearl XLE AWD V6 Ash Int. M. Latitude Tour 245/60R18. OEM Tow hitch/4 pin. B/D 04/14
post #15 of 33 Old 11-12-2018, 05:37 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have just experienced this issue on a 2018 Toyota Kluger in Australia. I was unable to start the car for a few hours.

The error is "Braking Power Low. Stop in a Safe Place. See Owner's Manual". If you Google that error in full you will see that it occurs on Lexus as well. There is nothing on this error in the manual.

The dealer was able to replicate the issue on my car by pumping the brake. They were not able to replicate the issue on another car of the same model. This suggests to me that it is a fault and not normal behaviour.*

The dealer said that there was no fault with the car and did nothing top fix the underlying problem.

What are Toyota / Lexus doing to fix the problem?

At the very least they should upgrade the software to make the warning more sensible. The warning suggests to consult the manual but the error is not listed in my manual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > Highlander 3rd Generation (2014-2019)