2019 Highlander voice in guidance or navigation - Page 3 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Highlander 3rd Generation (2014-2019) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 3rd generation Toyota Highlanders.

148Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 319 Old 12-28-2018, 07:59 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Thanks, will try to press it twice faster, then start the car with the brake pedal... so far i have not had any luck with the workaround
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 319 Old 12-28-2018, 09:52 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Hey Slitelytoasted,
Sorry to hear the workaround I was made aware of by my Toyota dealer has not worked for you. Several other people on this forum have had success with it, so don't know what to say. Another one that I found by myself, before going to the dealer that also works for me and some others, is this: Start the car as normal, shut it off and then restart. Voice activation should be there. Worth a try I guess until Toyota comes up with a fix.
Remote start: I used a company here in central Wisconsin that installs aftermarket remote starts and also heated seats. That probably won't help you, so here's the brand, model number etc. Compustar FMX Prime R3 by Firstech, model # RF-2WR3-FM, has 3000 ft range, 2-way LED confirmation, 1-yr warranty about $475 installed. Had it on my 2016 Highlander Hybrid Limited Platinum also. works gr8, love it up here in the cold. Can probably Google it. Good luck!
post #33 of 319 Old 12-29-2018, 01:48 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anyone know if there is a similar workaround for getting voice guidance to work in the hybrid Highlander? It doesn’t have the start/stop button. I just bought a 2019 limited platinum hybrid and am experiencing the same issues described-didn’t see a similar post in the hybrid forum.

Edit-I’m assuming the button referred to for the workaround is the Start/Stop override button to the left of the steering wheel on gasonline-only highlanders...if it is the start/stop button (ignition) to the right of the steering wheel then please disregard my earlier question

Last edited by psu_ben; 12-29-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 319 Old 12-29-2018, 10:32 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by psu_ben View Post
Anyone know if there is a similar workaround for getting voice guidance to work in the hybrid Highlander? It doesnít have the start/stop button. I just bought a 2019 limited platinum hybrid and am experiencing the same issues described-didnít see a similar post in the hybrid forum.

Edit-Iím assuming the button referred to for the workaround is the Start/Stop override button to the left of the steering wheel on gasonline-only highlanders...if it is the start/stop button (ignition) to the right of the steering wheel then please disregard my earlier question
They are referring to the ignition button.

2018 Highlander Limited Platinum
post #35 of 319 Old 01-11-2019, 08:30 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
BTW I called my dealer and their service department had never heard of the problem. Then again I doubt they have sold many 2019 Highlander Hybrid Limited Platinum models (maybe not more than one). They did make a note in my file in case a TSB or recall comes out.

ET ~ 2019 Highlander Hybrid Limited
W1⚡QED
The Following User Says Thank You to etkal For This Useful Post:
etp7 (07-10-2019)
post #36 of 319 Old 01-15-2019, 06:18 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We bought 2019 Highlander LP on December 23. Same issue with no gps voice guidance. The double tap on the start button does make voice guided navigation work and also playing of texts. I’m super disappointed that the car already has a work around issue. This is our first Toyota. Will Toyota fix this issue eventually?
post #37 of 319 Old 01-15-2019, 10:21 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have the same issue with the navigation system on my 2019 Highlander Limited Platinum. I take it to the dealer twice but the issue is the same. Toyota knows about it and they issued article for work around the issue which turn the switch to ACC WITHOUT pressing the brakes (some times you have to push twice) once the beep is heard you can press the brake and strat the engine then the voice will work. What kills me this expensive car and I don't see Toyota doing anything to fix it soon.
post #38 of 319 Old 01-15-2019, 10:33 PM
New TN User

I agree with Balooo2 We are gonna need to make noise about it.
post #39 of 319 Old 01-15-2019, 10:52 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
I got my new 2019 highlander on 31st dec, Luckily I've not experienced the above problem. HL was manufactured on 12/18.
post #40 of 319 Old 01-15-2019, 11:09 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Sad indeed....

that for what we paid for these otherwise fine vehicles, that there has to already be a workaround, with no apparent attempt by Toyota to rectify problem. At least the workaround allows the voice activation to be able to be used. Unlike an even bigger issue I have that you can find in this forum with the subject line of PAIRING PHONE? Pairing either of the 2 Tracfones I own, 1 an older LG and the other a brand new Alcatel, very shortly makes the whole 8" screen go blank, unusable. Audio/homescreen/apps buttons on L of screen totally inoperable, as is everything else. Unpairing phones returns to screen to full use. An entire whole new head unit has been installed, with same results. No known solution from Toyota so far on this issue either. Pretty frustrating to not be able to use a couple of the features that I paid for!
post #41 of 319 Old 01-16-2019, 10:06 AM
New TN User

I heard from Toyoda that this is a software issue that they are working on and when solved there will be a software update either directly with the vehicle or it might require a trip to the dealer. The work around does work, I had an issue originally, after turning on the accessories (press ignition without foot on brake) I was starting the car too soon and the workaround failed. I needed to wait for the apps to start before starting the car (press ignition with foot on brake).
post #42 of 319 Old 01-16-2019, 07:22 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My problem is that if you research the timing Toyota may have known the units were defective and elected to sell the Highlanders without notifying potential customers. We would not have bought this one until issues like this was corrected. I asked the dealer if we could return the automobile within days of finding out the problem and timing and they said no as this wasnít a mechanical or drivetrain problem.
post #43 of 319 Old 01-17-2019, 01:38 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Just purchased a 2019 Limited Platinum Trim December 2018 and the same thing with mine. I've read about the "push the start button twice, then push on the brake and start it and everything works great"...I called my dealership where I purchased it and of course...we've never heard of this happening...I'm not sure, but from what I've read, this Entune radio has been in their vehicles for a good while. So they tell me to make a appointment and they will try to do some updates...AND...its also rebooted 2 times after crossing a railroad track ( at a super slow speed )..One time the voices and sounds work, next time they dont...this would be a BIG ISSUE on a vacation trip !!!
I'll post at a later time what happens after they do the updates...from what I've read, the ONLY TRUE FIX is changing out the entire radio head unit....

Last edited by Harleyrider421; 02-28-2019 at 12:50 AM.
post #44 of 319 Old 01-17-2019, 11:21 AM
New TN User

I did the updates and a new radio unit and neither solved the sound issue. I was told that it is a communication issue between the expansion box (provides additional features such as navigation) and the radio unit.
post #45 of 319 Old 01-17-2019, 12:16 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeh0615 View Post
I did the updates and a new radio unit and neither solved the sound issue. I was told that it is a communication issue between the expansion box (provides additional features such as navigation) and the radio unit.

So are you satisfied with what they tried or is there another solution ?

2019 Toyota Highlander Limited Platinum

Last edited by Harleyrider421; 02-28-2019 at 12:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > Highlander 3rd Generation (2014-2019)