2015 Highlander XLE - Entune and/or Android Auto? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Highlander 3rd Generation (2014-2019) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 3rd generation Toyota Highlanders.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 11-15-2018, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2015 Highlander XLE - Entune and/or Android Auto?

I'm posting for my sister.

She just purchased a CPO 2015 Highlander XLE (I think that's what she said).
From what I can tell, it has Entune (not sure if it's 3.0 or not), but from the Toyota site, it asks what type of head unit.
The one on the left (has apps button, no maps?)
or the right one (Entune premium audio)

She says it's the right-side one:
Entune Premium Audio

Now, from my reading of the Toyota website, it seems that Entune and it's app are um, lacking, in terms of app integration? (No offense here, there's far worse app integration like Kia/Hyundai/NissanConnect, IMO).

It also appears that it does not use/work with Android Auto or CarPlay?

Although my sister refuses to switch to iPhone again, and has a Samsung Galaxy S9 with AA.

What she would really like to be able to do:
1) Use the voice activation (OK Google) to read/compose text message (even if it has to route only the audio through the car head unit via BT)

2) Listen to her music from the phone (again, BT to the head unit is OK)

3) Possibly Google Maps. Although I don't see Entune support for that.

I *think* (again, based on my preliminary reading of Entune and the Android App) that realistically, none are possible.

A workaround may/could be:

Use a Car Dock, so that the S9 senses it's in car mode, and thus engages AA, and use BT to link the audio to the car head unit and then #1, 2, should be possible. #3 may work via audio only (the voice says turn left here, etc.) unless the car dock is mounted on the dash somewhere so you can look at the phone display, but I don't recall if AA allows for that (I'm on iPhone, and have a Hyundai with Carplay support).

Any insight/info you all can give would be great, as to any solutions, or enlightenment on what Entune can do for you (haha).

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-20-2018, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
From what I can gather, sounds like Entune is pretty much worthless (unless you have a 2019 and can get Entune 3.0 and wait for Toyota to have the firmware update for Carplay and maybe AA later).

This article did a good job with the choices then:

https://www.howtogeek.com/270947/wha...using-a-phone/

Sister will probably opt for the car dock option rather than $1,000 for the head unit replacement.
The Following User Says Thank You to mjonis For This Useful Post:
Frankenscript (01-08-2019)
post #3 of 5 Old 11-21-2018, 01:06 AM
2014 Highlander V6 2WD LE

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1728 Post(s)
Supreme Member
Hi, there are a number of threads on this topic. On the 3rd Gen landing page, to the right at the top is a Search tool. In that dropdown, there is Advanced, so you can use your keywords to help get the info you need. And the stereo should be no reason to change your preferred OS for your phone. If I were forced to switch to Apple for my phone, I may as well move to North Korea. ;-)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-21-2018, 08:35 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Supreme Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjonis View Post
Use a Car Dock, so that the S9 senses it's in car mode, and thus engages AA, and use BT to link the audio to the car head unit and then #1, 2, should be possible. #3 may work via audio only (the voice says turn left here, etc.) unless the car dock is mounted on the dash somewhere so you can look at the phone display, but I don't recall if AA allows for that (I'm on iPhone, and have a Hyundai with Carplay support).
I think you've got it right there.

Entune 2.0 doesn't integrate with either Apple or Android, so no need to pick one over the other. To the phone, the car is just a giant Bluetooth headset for the phone and a Bluetooth speaker for audio. There's a small amount of support for text messaging in Entune, but it's weak. And as you've found, Entune can't display any apps or other visuals from your phone. Google Maps just isn't happening on the head unit.

The Entune phone app is merely a conduit to get the apps in the head unit connected to the Internet. The head unit apps talk to the phone app, and the phone app gathers data from the Internet.

Toyota is finally warming up to Android Auto and CarPlay, and it's on some other models now. Maybe we'll see it on the next generation Highlander. I wouldn't expect it to be a firmware update for current Highlanders, though.

2016 Highlander Limited Platinum
2018 Tacoma Limited 4x4

Last edited by toto; 11-21-2018 at 08:37 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to toto For This Useful Post:
post #5 of 5 Old 01-08-2019, 09:07 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Thanks guys for the information in this thread. This answered some questions I hard regarding my Entune-equipped 2015 XLE. Bummer we don't have AA support, but it answered my questions.

I've found just using OK Google and various voice commands works well, but of course on a small phone screen only.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > Highlander 3rd Generation (2014-2019)