Rear Glass Conversion Kit? - Page 3 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Highlander 3rd Generation (2014-2019) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 3rd generation Toyota Highlanders.

33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 55 Old 05-15-2019, 02:22 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdisselhorst View Post
Serious question: Why do people even bother posting replies like this?

If someone posted a question asking about where you can buy a great steak, why would someone bother posting that they do not like steak? How is your not liking steak relevant to the question?

Did you really think you were making a contribution by informing people that you don't find this feature to be very handy?

I just wanted to know if there was a way anyone knew of to add it later, and you for some reason just had to chime in and say you don't see the need.

It just amazes me.
Because maybe what they're really trying to advise you is to think very hard about whether or not this conversion is really worth it to you.

Here's some amazing info (since posts like this amaze you): I agree with the other poster. The pop-up glass sounds like a great thing - IME it is not, and it especially is not if you use a cargo cover (you can't retract the cover in order to drop something in through the glass hatch). I've just found in practice it's not that useful of a feature. But, obviously, YMMV.
Vangm25 likes this.

2018 Predawn Gray Mica Limited AWD, 2nd row bench seat, running boards, funman1's Start-Stop module, interior LEDs, XenonDepot H11/9005/H16 upgrades
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 55 Old 05-15-2019, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Quincy Highlander

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Now I get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander56 View Post
Because maybe what they're really trying to advise you is to think very hard about whether or not this conversion is really worth it to you.

Here's some amazing info (since posts like this amaze you): I agree with the other poster. The pop-up glass sounds like a great thing - IME it is not, and it especially is not if you use a cargo cover (you can't retract the cover in order to drop something in through the glass hatch). I've just found in practice it's not that useful of a feature. But, obviously, YMMV.
I guess I misunderstood the point of this forum.

I now see that its true purpose is to get advice on what I should want my vehicle to be.

I thought my vehicle should be whatever I want it to be.

Tell me, what color should it be?

I got a kind of purplish grey, but I don't know if that is right.

Should it be blue?
post #33 of 55 Old 05-15-2019, 03:57 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangm25 View Post
So have you learned anything yet? Have you done any research on this? Or do you expect other people to do all of your work for you? Go look at a wiring diagram and find what components you need, go look at a parts diagram and find what components you need. You can get a junkyard hatch but you still gotta get the electrics for it. You've yet to input any information that says you know what you are doing. We can give you help but you have to find the answer to what you want yourself.
All the guy asked originally was whether or not anyone knew of a conversion kit for the rear hatch. Instead he gets a lecture on what he should've bought or what he shouldn't want or need. It's responses like these that really discourage new forum members like myself from even participating in any of these discussions or asking dumb questions. OP, good luck whether or not you decide to pursue this conversion.
ukrkoz, Gman_yota, Tired and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 55 Old 05-15-2019, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Quincy Highlander

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabjohitol View Post
All the guy asked originally was whether or not anyone knew of a conversion kit for the rear hatch. Instead he gets a lecture on what he should've bought or what he shouldn't want or need. It's responses like these that really discourage new forum members like myself from even participating in any of these discussions or asking dumb questions. OP, good luck whether or not you decide to pursue this conversion.
Thank you.
Gman_yota likes this.
post #35 of 55 Old 05-15-2019, 04:28 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 673 Post(s)
Looks like I'm an idiot because I thought the rear window slides up and down (or maybe it does). There's a "kit" but you still gotta find it yourself. I found it in ten minutes, whether or not you can take the time to look at a parts diagram like I did to find it is up to you. Whether or not there are any additional electronics you need, that is up to you to find. It's not hard to find what you need but you gotta put in the work.

post #36 of 55 Old 05-15-2019, 04:30 PM
Gman_yota

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Rear Glass Conversion Kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdisselhorst View Post
I guess I misunderstood the point of this forum.
I now see that its true purpose is to get advice on what I should want my vehicle to be.
I thought my vehicle should be whatever I want it to be.
Tell me, what color should it be?
I got a kind of purplish grey, but I don't know if that is right.
Should it be blue?

Dude, you go ahead and keep researching this. If it can be done then really great, and if itís too much of a hassle (you decide) then let it go.
I had one of these rear window thingyís on another vehicle, and used it often. With other vehicles Iíve owned, they did not have this feature, and quite frankly I really miss having it. Anyway, just my 2 cents.
Itís your car, you do what you want. If you really want it and you find a decent solution, then Great! Go for it !
Tired likes this.
post #37 of 55 Old 05-15-2019, 05:06 PM
Got Pyro?

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
This thread needs to simmer down.
OP does not need a lecture, either help or move on to another thread please.
MR2Jedi, ukrkoz, Gman_yota and 3 others like this.

Professional Pyro..
No really; I get paid to blow stuff up...

Last edited by Phil Indeblanc; 05-16-2019 at 08:34 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to funman1 For This Useful Post:
BMR (05-15-2019), MR2Jedi (05-16-2019), Redbelly (05-18-2019)
post #38 of 55 Old 05-15-2019, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 827 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabjohitol View Post

I actually agree with this.
Forums have been life savers for me for years.
You come to what you expect to be experienced, knowledgeable and friendly forum. you ask question that bothers you. You get answer to the question. You are happy, helpers earned the right kind of deposit on their karma account.
It literally hurts to come with hope and leave being schooled like a child. I know several forums like this. Mazdaspeed one, as example. Dodge forums, for some reason.

There is forum etiquette rule, normally ignored by many. If you do not have something supportive and constructive - on topic - to post, then do not post at all.

Though, there is caveat to this. Internet all mighty takes few seconds to research even most complicated topics. It is another forum good etiquette rule - do your own homework. And, if you did and failed to find the answer - sure, come and ask.
BMR likes this.

post #39 of 55 Old 05-15-2019, 11:28 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangm25 View Post
Looks like I'm an idiot because I thought the rear window slides up and down (or maybe it does). ...
The 4Runner's rear window slides up and down, Highlander's pops out at the bottom and then you manually lift it up.

2018 Predawn Gray Mica Limited AWD, 2nd row bench seat, running boards, funman1's Start-Stop module, interior LEDs, XenonDepot H11/9005/H16 upgrades

Last edited by Highlander56; 05-15-2019 at 11:31 PM.
post #40 of 55 Old 05-16-2019, 06:13 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I hope the OP finds a workable solution. Not sure why there is so much angst in this thread.

I have an XLE with the pop up rear window but never used it aside from accidentally. I don't understand the point since it doesn't seem to be controlled fro. The driver's seat as far as I can tell. If I could control it from there it would be great for helping blow hot air out with Windows down after parking in the sun. But not if I can't shut it after driving a few minutes.

OP, best wishes for finding a solution .

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
post #41 of 55 Old 05-16-2019, 12:17 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
I try to use the rear glass as much as possible since the rear door takes FOREVER to open.
Gman_yota and Tired like this.

post #42 of 55 Old 05-16-2019, 05:51 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA4993 View Post
I try to use the rear glass as much as possible since the rear door takes FOREVER to open.
Number 1 reason I use mine! Sometimes throwing something small/light in the back is not worth the wait-time (geologic time-scales).

Plus it saves a cycle on the power lift mechanisms. Maybe Iíd use it less if I had an LE manual gate.
Gman_yota likes this.
post #43 of 55 Old 05-16-2019, 08:34 PM
2014 Highlander V6 2WD LE

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1728 Post(s)
Supreme Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by funman1 View Post
This thread needs to simmer down.
OP does not need a lecture, either help or move on to another thread please.
Its really just Vangm25

I already warned him.

post #44 of 55 Old 05-17-2019, 07:35 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Having read this thread I used the pop up window on purpose yesterday, for the first time ever. I reached in and grabbed a bag of groceries that was in there. Faster than the actuated hatch for sure. Not sure if I will use it frequently but maybe once I a while now!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Phil Indeblanc likes this.
post #45 of 55 Old 05-18-2019, 08:00 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA4993 View Post
Me, too. Plus, If I carry something long, I can stick it out the window and bungee the window down onto the long item. I use the flip window ten times for every time I open the hatch.
Gman_yota likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > Highlander 3rd Generation (2014-2019)