Required maintenance other than oil changes? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Highlander 3rd Generation (2014-2019) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 3rd generation Toyota Highlanders.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Greasymechtech
  • 1 Post By Greasymechtech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 05-15-2019, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Required maintenance other than oil changes?

Hi all,

New member here, and new Toyota owner. Thumbing through the owners manual of my wife's 2016 highlander. The manual doesn't recommend much at the service intervals other than routine oil changes and filter changes. Is there no recommended interval for coolant replacement? Or transmission service? PCV valve replacement? At 23k I'm a ways off from those things, but just curious...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-15-2019, 04:14 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spenbass View Post
Hi all,

New member here, and new Toyota owner. Thumbing through the owners manual of my wife's 2016 highlander. The manual doesn't recommend much at the service intervals other than routine oil changes and filter changes. Is there no recommended interval for coolant replacement? Or transmission service? PCV valve replacement? At 23k I'm a ways off from those things, but just curious...
My guess is that part of the "Check Coolant" at each interval is that in theory the tech would use the coolant tester to make sure that the coolant is good so whenever it goes bad they would replace it. Thing is that I don't believe many people are gonna open the steaming hot coolant radiator cap to check it with the tester because... it is steaming hot coolant ready to burn them.

Otherwise the interval is up to you. For me, I would preferred to have replaced my original coolant at 150,000 miles but I ended up getting a engine rebuild then I destroyed my radiator for my 08 Camry so I basically got a couple drain and fills. I still plan on doing a coolant flush and thermostat at 150,000 miles.

post #3 of 11 Old 05-15-2019, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Coolant is good for 150K miles.
Plugs for 110K.
ATF is lifetime.
If you have AWD, you need to do transfer case and rear diff at around 60K under normal driving conditions.
You have EPS, so no worries there.
MAy take a close look at brake fluid interval. I had 2015 NX200t and for some reason they required brake fluid change at 35 000 miles.

That's about it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-15-2019, 08:16 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
I would not go over 5 years on the coolant, if I remember correctly my 09 Camry and 10 Corolla is 5 years or 100k?and has the same coolant. I do mine every 5 years, old coolant becomes acidic that's the reason to get fresh in there. If your planning on keeping it forever the ATF is not lifetime and after being told about my Camrys tranny fluid at 90k service, I will being changing mine at 30k but that's just me.

2017 Highlander Limited
2009 Camry SE V6
2002 Camry LE
1996 T100 SR5
1993 Corolla DX Wagon
1981 Tercel
post #5 of 11 Old 05-15-2019, 08:24 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty360 View Post
I would not go over 5 years on the coolant, if I remember correctly my 09 Camry and 10 Corolla is 5 years or 100k?and has the same coolant. I do mine every 5 years, old coolant becomes acidic that's the reason to get fresh in there. If your planning on keeping it forever the ATF is not lifetime and after being told about my Camrys tranny fluid at 90k service, I will being changing mine at 30k but that's just me.
I totally agree with above. NO transmission fluid is lifetime unless you mean lifetime=75,000 to 100,000 miles.

current vehicles
2017 Highlander Plat. Limited
2018 GMC Yukon XL Denali
2011 Mercedes E63 AMG
1965 Ford Mustang 289 V8
post #6 of 11 Old 05-15-2019, 08:39 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 619 Post(s)
Most intervals are negligent..... marketing extended intervals lowers the cost of ownership and reduces the hassle of service appointments...

All fluids/filters need changing. All machinery needs maintenance. Do what you want and when you want.

Oil, oil filter, ATF, ATF filter, coolant, brake fluid, differential, transfer case, engine air filter.... need maintenance whether the automaker states it or not, or claims its lifetime or overly extended

I change my gear oils every 30k.
I drain/refill my ATF every year and change the ATF filter every 100k.
I bleed my brakes every 2-3 years or every 24k-30k miles, and at every brake service.
I drain/refill my antifreeze every 4-5 years or 50k completely(radiator/block/bottle), or a simply 1/2 drain/refill(radiator only) every 2-3 years or 30k miles. Thermostat is changed at 5-7 years, and serpentine belt every 5/60.
Rusty360 likes this.

So many trolls so little time
post #7 of 11 Old 05-15-2019, 10:52 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasymechtech View Post
I change my gear oils every 30k.
I drain/refill my ATF every year and change the ATF filter every 100k.

Those intervals are a bit excessive, aren't they? I thought ATF fluid is good for 70-100k miles and gear oils every 50-60k miles.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-16-2019, 07:51 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 619 Post(s)
Its not at all excessive if you plan on keeping the vehicle beyond the loan payment and expect the kids or grandkids to drive it through their high school or college years.
And yes, you thought wrong as ATF/gear oil isn't as good as marketed by automakers and oil companies.

American consumers are disposal addicts, most without a pissdrop worth of mechanical knowledge. They are also quick to cry when someone isn't right or when something goes wrong. Many common mechanical issues are preventable with maintenance. If your vehicle is not disposable and you want to keep it, you take care of it. Or, you turn it into the next junkyard car crushing shredding video or driveway/lawn ornament.
jiantao likes this.

So many trolls so little time
post #9 of 11 Old 05-16-2019, 12:18 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 730 Post(s)
Quote:
Its not at all excessive if you plan on keeping the vehicle beyond the loan payment and expect the kids or grandkids to drive it through their high school or college years.

I've given my kids and other relatives my older vehicles for college. We've been able to keep our past 5 previous vehicles well past 300k miles with using more then double your recommended change intervals. In 2005 I gave my 98 Pathfinder ( with about 320k miles) to my oldest when she started college. She gave it to her ex boy-friend after she finished grad school and got a real job. I saw her ex a couple years ago and he junked it after an accident...it was over 500k miles by then. Let me know when you've owned a vehicle with over 300k miles.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-16-2019, 01:19 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNH View Post
We've been able to keep our past 5 previous vehicles well past 300k miles with using more then double your recommended change intervals.
Same here. Well not 5 vehicles, but definitely 3.

Those change intervals are over kill IMO.

2018 Highlander Limited AWD
post #11 of 11 Old 05-16-2019, 07:23 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Changing ATF every year? What a waste of oil and money. My sister's 1995 Camry had 350K miles, and she only change the ATF according to Toyota schedule. I know people can be OCD about the maintenance, but stop spreading bad advice. None of the million mile vehicle owners said they changed ATF that often. They only changed according to schedule.

A lot of time, power train works perfectly fine when people give up on their vehicle, due to rust, electronic, or suspension issues. Stop lying to yourself about how long you will drive that old car.

Don't waste resource for no good reason.

2017 Highlander Limited Platnum Aluma Jade
2006 Lexus RX400h AWD Mica Grey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > Highlander 3rd Generation (2014-2019)