Water Pump Bad at such low miles - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Highlander 3rd Generation (2014-2019) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 3rd generation Toyota Highlanders.

8Likes
  • 2 Post By lvit
  • 1 Post By MikeInNH
  • 1 Post By RollingRock
  • 2 Post By lvit
  • 1 Post By Nzott
  • 1 Post By lvit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 05-23-2019, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Water Pump Bad at such low miles

Noticed my 2015 Highlander and been making noise at idle that wasn't there when I purchased a year and a half ago. I suspected water pump bearing, so I stopped by Toyota just a little while ago and the service guy came out took a listen and said yep water pump is bad. But with the car having only 50,000 miles and under 5yr old they are replacing it under power train warranty. They also took the car in immediately and gave me a loaner for the day as this is a 6hr job. Not happy about the water pump, I have never had one go bad at such low miles. I am fortunate that it's still covered under warranty and blessed that they took it in so quick to get it done without an appointment. Kudos to Don Joseph Toyota in Kent Ohio, they are a great dealership to go to.
TableRocked and andrewst02 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-23-2019, 09:20 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
This is a known problem with Toyota for the past 10+ years.

My wife's 07 Lexus had a water pump failure at about 60k miles around 2010. Replaced it with a TRW water pump. That was 9 years and 150k miles ago. The failure rate isn't real high, but higher then normal or should be. That's the only water pump we've ever had to replace on any vehicle we've owned in the past 30+ years.

Here is one case where aftermarket is far far better then OEM (or whoever is the OEM provider for Toyota).
TableRocked likes this.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-23-2019, 11:37 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
That is low miles for a water pump to fail. We traded in our 2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 V8 for a 2017 Highlander limited. We put over 220,000 miles on the Genesis and the water pump never failed. The Genesis alternator did fail at just over 200,000 miles. I hope our Highlander gives us that kind of service.
TableRocked likes this.

current vehicles
2017 Highlander Plat. Limited
2018 GMC Yukon XL Denali
2011 Mercedes E63 AMG
1965 Ford Mustang 289 V8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-23-2019, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Dealership called said it was the water pump and it was all fixed and ready to go. Huge shout out to Don Joseph in Kent Ohio. Took my car in without an apt this morning at 9:30 and called to say it was done at 2:30. Best dealership I have every done business with, excellent service and friendly associates.
TableRocked and andrewst02 like this.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-23-2019, 03:39 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Nice to see there are still good dealerships after all the horror stories on here.
andrewst02 likes this.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-23-2019, 04:04 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
What's happening?

Man,y'all must be beating on your cars/driving in harsh conditions or are just plain unlucky. Timing covers, water pumps, transmissions going bad.
What on god's earth is going on?
post #7 of 11 Old 05-23-2019, 04:12 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonxls20052 View Post
Man,y'all must be beating on your cars/driving in harsh conditions or are just plain unlucky. Timing covers, water pumps, transmissions going bad.
What on god's earth is going on?
People with complaints tend to post, those that don't have issues have less incentive to visit forums etc. But some people are hard on cars that cannot be denied, it is probably the biggest single issue affecting reliability, as the driver that treats their vehicle well get good service life from most makes and models unless a faults are inherent to the vehicle.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-23-2019, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
So are you trying to say that driving my Highlander to and from work doing the speed limit maybe 5 miles over is being hard on my vehicle. I take very good care of my vehicles and do not abuse them. Preventative maintenance is always performed. People should not assume that all people who have problems with their vehicles are abusive of them. Remember that no matter how well you treat your vehicle or abuse it, everything is mechanical and guaranteed to work till it breaks. Toyota has a bad track record when it comes to water pumps and that is a fact. I did not come to complain about the situation. I visited to give a huge shout out to the dealership and how well they handled the situation as well as making sure it was all taken care of under warranty as most on this forum have done nothing but bad mouth the dealerships.
tomcoul likes this.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-23-2019, 09:24 PM
Do you feel lucky?

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7580 Post(s)
Thanked 8,611 Times in 6,057 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvit View Post
Noticed my 2015 Highlander and been making noise at idle that wasn't there when I purchased a year and a half ago. I suspected water pump bearing, so I stopped by Toyota just a little while ago and the service guy came out took a listen and said yep water pump is bad. But with the car having only 50,000 miles and under 5yr old they are replacing it under power train warranty. They also took the car in immediately and gave me a loaner for the day as this is a 6hr job. Not happy about the water pump, I have never had one go bad at such low miles. I am fortunate that it's still covered under warranty and blessed that they took it in so quick to get it done without an appointment. Kudos to Don Joseph Toyota in Kent Ohio, they are a great dealership to go to.

Some things never change. For the Highlander and Tacoma, water pump failure is typically in the 50K to 60K range based on observation in these forums. Mine failed in the Highlander at 52K.

-------------------------

2008 Highlander Base 4WD
2002 Avalon XL
1987 Suzuki Samurai 4X4 - Treading where no Jeep can follow....
post #10 of 11 Old 05-23-2019, 11:06 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Water pump on my Lexus RX400H didn't out right fail, but it was corroded pretty bad at 100K mile timing belt change. I was refilling the coolant reservoir with half pint of coolant every two months at that point.

2017 Highlander Limited Platnum Aluma Jade
2006 Lexus RX400h AWD Mica Grey
post #11 of 11 Old 05-24-2019, 07:42 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
IMHO you are lucky your dealer stepped up and covered it under warranty. I would definitely do business with a dealer like that again.

Our '98 Avalon water pump started showing signs of going out around 80k miles, per our mechanic. It went another 10-15k miles before we had to replace it. That was a known failure around 100k mi for that model and year, so no surprise for us. That and the big woofer speaker in the rear window that died early (another known issue) were the only problems we ever had with that wonderful car.

2018 Highlander Limited AWD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > Highlander 3rd Generation (2014-2019)