Using factory fob to lower windows - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Highlander 3rd Generation (2014-2019) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 3rd generation Toyota Highlanders.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 06-04-2019, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Using factory fob to lower windows

Just leased a new 2019 XLE Highlander. Anyone know of a way to program factory key fob to lower windows on car remotely?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 06-04-2019, 08:11 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by runner97 View Post
Just leased a new 2019 XLE Highlander. Anyone know of a way to program factory key fob to lower windows on car remotely?
I have a 2016 Highlander. You will need Carista, TechStream or the dealer to change it. Not sure if it works on all models. I have the XLE and holding down unlock on the remote will roll down all the windows and open the sunroof.

If you can just pop by the dealer and they should configure it for you since it is new. Only takes a minute or 2

Vehicle: 2016 Highlander XLE, Black on Black
Mods: Hood Protector, Cargo Mat, Door Ghost LED's, WeatherTech Floor Mats, Body Side Mouldings
post #3 of 29 Old 06-05-2019, 05:57 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Quote:
Customizations start on pg 682 of your owners manual. It’s default is set to off but your dealer can change it for you for free. Best to study all the changes you want and then have them program all of them for you at one time. Of course you can use Carista or other equipment but why spend money for something you can get done free since it’s a leased vehicle?

2018 Toyota Highlander Limited Platinum Blizzard Pearl w/Almond Leather
2018 Nissan Rogue SV Premium GunMetal w/Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 06-05-2019, 06:23 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgb0250 View Post
C Of course you can use Carista or other equipment but why spend money for something you can get done free since it’s a leased vehicle?
I used Carista and found it useful to be able to try several different settings before doing the final programming. Some settings you need to try before deciding what works the best for you. An example would be the auto turn signal turn off number - factory is three flashes but can go all the way up to seven - I kept changing before finally deciding on the seven. I don't think a dealer would tolerate multiple trips back to try different settings. Also, having a Carista allowed me to program other Highlanders owned by friends.
camelk likes this.

2017 Highlander Hybrid XLE Alumina Jade Metallic

post #5 of 29 Old 06-05-2019, 07:29 AM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Supreme Member
How "free" the service is will depend on the dealer. Toyota doesn't promise that these changes are free, only that your dealer can do them. And it's not covered by the 3/36 warranty.

Many dealers will do it one time for free as a courtesy since you bought the car from them.

If you're already taking the car to them for other service work, then they'll be more inclined to do it without charge.

Beyond that, I'd expect to pay the minimum labor charge (1/2 an hour, if not a full hour) for the work.
rseward likes this.

2016 Highlander Limited Platinum
2018 Tacoma Limited 4x4
post #6 of 29 Old 06-05-2019, 02:13 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
My dealer changed the coding via computer when I took it in for my first oil change.

Z

2018 Limited Platinum
post #7 of 29 Old 06-05-2019, 09:38 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toto View Post
How "free" the service is will depend on the dealer. Toyota doesn't promise that these changes are free, only that your dealer can do them. And it's not covered by the 3/36 warranty.

Many dealers will do it one time for free as a courtesy since you bought the car from them.

If you're already taking the car to them for other service work, then they'll be more inclined to do it without charge.

Beyond that, I'd expect to pay the minimum labor charge (1/2 an hour, if not a full hour) for the work.

Agreed... my dealer doesn’t offer any freebies or discounts on a technicians labor. The techs get paid by hours invoiced, not hours worked.
That said, they will discount parts sometimes. They gave me 15% off my running boards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 29 Old 06-06-2019, 09:57 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Garage
This feature has been on some Lexus vehicles since the 1990's and was formerly enabled by default.

There have been a number of reports on Lexus forums about windows and sunroofs being opened inadvertently due to a problem I have called "TPS", i.e. Tight Pants Syndrome. Something carried in the same pocket as the key/fob presses continuously against the unlock button and opens the windows and sunroof. It's not a problem if the vehicle is in a garage but it's a different story when the vehicle is parked outside during rain or snow which has sometimes been reported.

I have wondered if these reported occurrences have been the reason that the feature is now disabled by default.

My Lexus vehicles were always in my garage when something in my pocket - probably a Swiss army knife - caused the windows and sunroof to open. I even had it happen while I was working on - sometimes under - one of our vehicles in the garage. I've become more vigilant about what I carry in the same pocket as a key fob and usually remove fobs from my pocket when working on a vehicle and as soon as I enter my house.

I've sometimes had a similar problem with our Sienna - something in my pocket presses against the sliding door or hatch buttons on the fob and causes a door to open. It's usually a sliding door that I find open but I suspect it has also happened on the rear hatch door since there are a few chips in the bottom edge that might have been caused by the door opening and contacting the garage door. I've never found the hatch door open since it would automatically reverse when it hits the garage door. Maybe the hatch door problem can't happen on recent Highlanders - the parking sensors on a friend's Highlander prevents the hatch door from being opened with the remote when the door is near an obstacle.

I don't mean to dissuade anyone from having the window/sunroof remote open feature enabled on a Highlander but only to alert owners about, and to explain how to mitigate, the risk. It's a very nice feature to have on hot sunny days when parked outside. On my last Lexus LS, I could roll down the windows and open the sunroof to let hot air escape from over 100 yards away by pressing the fob against my chin while I pressed the unlock button. I can open the side and hatch doors of our Sienna from nearly the same distance by using the chin-press technique.

Original owner of 2012 Prius v Five and 2014 Sienna Limited - both Blizzard Pearl with Advanced Technology Package

Last edited by ToyoJim; 06-06-2019 at 04:00 PM. Reason: gwammer corecshun
post #9 of 29 Old 06-07-2019, 07:21 AM
Senior TN Member

Supreme Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyoJim View Post
I've sometimes had a similar problem with our Sienna - something in my pocket presses against the sliding door or hatch buttons on the fob and causes a door to open. It's usually a sliding door that I find open but I suspect it has also happened on the rear hatch door since there are a few chips in the bottom edge that might have been caused by the door opening and contacting the garage door. I've never found the hatch door open since it would automatically reverse when it hits the garage door. Maybe the hatch door problem can't happen on recent Highlanders - the parking sensors on a friend's Highlander prevents the hatch door from being opened with the remote when the door is near an obstacle.
The problem with an accidental press thanks to something else in your pocket is very real. I modded one of my remotes to disable the rear hatch door button so it can't open accidentally and hit the garage door. How did your friend find out that that the rear parking sensors could prevent the door from opening? The last thing I want to do is test it with the garage door closed! My owners manual for 2016 doesn't mention anything like this. Maybe they added it in a later model year?

2018 Tacoma Limited 4x4
post #10 of 29 Old 06-07-2019, 08:14 AM
Official TN Member

Garage
Quote:
How did your friend find out that that the rear parking sensors could prevent the door from opening? The last thing I want to do is test it with the garage door closed!
Maybe I misunderstood what took place when my friend pressed the hatch open button on his remote while his 2013 Highlander Limited was parked in his garage with the garage door shut. I thought he was demonstrating that the hatch door wouldn't open if the parking sensors sensed an obstacle. I suppose he could have pressed the button again to cancel/reverse the hatch door opening. I suppose you could see by opening your hatch door with your remote while your garage door is closed to see if it reverses automatically and cancel the hatch door opening if it doesn't.

I've got "garage envy". My friends custom built McMansion has an extra deep garage that allows opening the Highlander's rear hatch door with the garage door closed if it's pulled in far enough. I have car envy too. Here's a photo of the new car he bought last year parked in his garage next to his Highlander.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013 Highlander next to 2018 Porsche.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	242310  

Original owner of 2012 Prius v Five and 2014 Sienna Limited - both Blizzard Pearl with Advanced Technology Package
post #11 of 29 Old 06-07-2019, 09:11 AM
Senior TN Member

Supreme Member
The 2013 didn't have parking sensors. Maybe there was some misunderstanding there about what was going on.

But it's a great idea - if the car knows there's something behind it, it shouldn't let you open the power back door.

2018 Tacoma Limited 4x4
post #12 of 29 Old 06-07-2019, 10:41 AM
Official TN Member

Garage
Quote:
The 2013 didn't have parking sensors. Maybe there was some misunderstanding there about what was going on.

But it's a great idea - if the car knows there's something behind it, it shouldn't let you open the power back door.
Thanks for the correction. My friend texted me back this morning that he didn't remember the incident but it's been a long time ago. He could have been playing me after I complained that my then new 2014 Sienna Limited with parking sensors wasn't smart enough to know that the garage door was closed when the hatch door open button on its remote was pressed.

Toyota could certainly do better with this technology. My wife's Prius has what looks like parking assist sensors but they're used only for the automated parking feature and not to warn about obstructions when manually parking. You'd think that a car that can park itself could also tell you when you are going to hit something when you are manually parking - strange.

Last edited by ToyoJim; 06-07-2019 at 10:42 AM. Reason: grammer koreksion
post #13 of 29 Old 06-08-2019, 05:26 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Quote:

I based my “free” comment off of the OP saying he just leased this vehicle. A diligent salesperson, granted there are very few, would have went through the owners manual and brought up customization and asked if there were any changes he wanted made before delivery.

2018 Toyota Highlander Limited Platinum Blizzard Pearl w/Almond Leather
2018 Nissan Rogue SV Premium GunMetal w/Black
post #14 of 29 Old 06-08-2019, 07:22 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgb0250 View Post
I based my “free” comment off of the OP saying he just leased this vehicle. A diligent salesperson, granted there are very few, would have went through the owners manual and brought up customization and asked if there were any changes he wanted made before delivery.

Yes, at time of sale, or maybe during a Toyota Care service, I could see them making a change or two as a curtesy.

You shouldn’t expect to be able to drop into the service dept., requesting changes to the custom settings, and not be charged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #15 of 29 Old 06-09-2019, 06:05 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
List of Features

Hello, So what features can be activated either by dealer or Carista for my 2019 Toyota Highlander XLE ??? Can you guys make a list please...I am intrigue now .. Thank You

2019 Toyota Highlander XLE.
2013 Toyota Avalon XLE Touring V6
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited 4.7L V8

Last edited by Alk3r0; 06-09-2019 at 06:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > Highlander 3rd Generation (2014-2019)