Limited Platinum Aftermarket Stereo - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Highlander 3rd Generation (2014-2019) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 3rd generation Toyota Highlanders.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 06-07-2019, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Limited Platinum Aftermarket Stereo

Anyone with a Limited Platinum replace their stereo to add Carplay that can comment on if you lost your birds eye view (360) camera? I haven't been able to find anything about that.

I know like in the Sienna the backup camera can be retained, but we've found the Maestro interface with Pioneer stereo to be rather finicky. Pioneer's software is clunky IMO. Also, the backup camera interface between Maestro/Pioneer something gets goofed up where my wife is driving down the road and the backup camera comes on the screen. Got me!

Not sure I want to wait for the 2020 Highlander and frankly I prefer the looks of the 2019. I do like the "integrated" concept of the 2020 electronics where it's all designed to work together, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-08-2019, 07:12 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by atothek View Post
Anyone with a Limited Platinum replace their stereo to add Carplay that can comment on if you lost your birds eye view (360) camera? I haven't been able to find anything about that.

I know like in the Sienna the backup camera can be retained, but we've found the Maestro interface with Pioneer stereo to be rather finicky. Pioneer's software is clunky IMO. Also, the backup camera interface between Maestro/Pioneer something gets goofed up where my wife is driving down the road and the backup camera comes on the screen. Got me!

Not sure I want to wait for the 2020 Highlander and frankly I prefer the looks of the 2019. I do like the "integrated" concept of the 2020 electronics where it's all designed to work together, though.
Just curious which Pioneer model you chose for your Sienna? I have been looking at the Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX , but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Last edited by dtown40; 06-08-2019 at 07:15 AM.
post #3 of 14 Old 06-08-2019, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
AVH-2440NEX only because my wife wanted a CD player. If it were my car I would have gotten a multimedia only model as they are cheaper and I haven’t used CDs in 10+ years. Also multimedia units are probably more popular so I am assuming the software gets better testing and more updates but that’s just a guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtown40 View Post
Quote:

Just curious which Pioneer model you chose for your Sienna? I have been looking at the Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX , but haven't pulled the trigger yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 06-08-2019, 12:43 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
i have the 8400 NEX
post #5 of 14 Old 06-08-2019, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hardy View Post
i have the 8400 NEX

Do you have the birds eye camera working with it?
post #6 of 14 Old 06-09-2019, 08:42 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Quote:
Do you have the birds eye camera working with it?
I only have the Limited not platinum...But all my steering wheel controls work EXCEPT the screen by the speedo and tach.. Plus any settings yr using on the OEM screen are gone.But I use Carista anyway
post #7 of 14 Old 06-19-2019, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Anyone replace their Limited Platinum stereo able to comment on the birds eye camera?
post #8 of 14 Old 06-25-2019, 12:08 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
The only main stream brand that will retain 360 camera function is Kenwood units with idatalink maestro interface.

Otherwise, you can purchase the Chinese Android head units (from Dasaita only, they are currently the only company that has the ability to retain the 360 function).

Look at the Dasaita threads for more information.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2017 Highlander Lmt Plt
post #9 of 14 Old 06-25-2019, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Kenwood and Daisata (and Sony, oh my)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwong84 View Post
The only main stream brand that will retain 360 camera function is Kenwood units with idatalink maestro interface.

Otherwise, you can purchase the Chinese Android head units (from Dasaita only, they are currently the only company that has the ability to retain the 360 function).

Look at the Dasaita threads for more information.

Thanks, @drwong84 !

What differentiates Kenwood allowing this? For example, I see Sony XAV-AX210 has 3 camera interfaces. I'm interested in that model, but I see the input is RCA so no idea if it will work with the iDatalink providing the camera feed.
post #10 of 14 Old 06-25-2019, 01:00 PM
Official TN Member

I chatted with the engineers at idatalink.

Kenwood has dedicated interface/program developed with idatalink for the advanced camera function.

The Highlander's 360 system is managed by a standalone system. All cameras are feed to this unit, the unit will then dictate what is outputting to the car's screen based on commands from the car. (ie. When the car is in reverse, low speed view, and parked view)

Most other aftermarket radios can only activate reverse camera view (yes, the highlander will output reverse view with 360)

Kenwood has an additional function will it will tell the camera control unit to turn on on command (parked view and low speed view)

The engineers at idatalink say any company can offer this too if they developed the program for their headunits (as Kenwood has done)

I approached Alpine about it but they straight up told me to buy their aftermarket multi camera system (money grab move!)

Too bad, because I would buy the Halo 9 unit in a heartbeat if they could retain my oem 360 cam.

2017 Highlander Lmt Plt
post #11 of 14 Old 06-25-2019, 01:03 PM
Official TN Member

Dasaita on the other has done the same thing but developed it completely on their own, which is pretty damn impressive.

2017 Highlander Lmt Plt
post #12 of 14 Old 06-25-2019, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Which stereo do you have, @drwong84 ? Agreed on the Halo9, although appears the screen is a gripe for many of the owners.
post #13 of 14 Old 06-25-2019, 01:18 PM
Official TN Member

I was running the Dasaita unit for a few months then ended up selling it.

The only reason for selling was because my wife found it a bit distracting/complex to operate, so it had to go since she is the primary driver.

The unit was pretty nice especially when you run a custom skin. But my wife's complaint is partly valid. The unit is a good fit for power users like me who basically wants an android tablet mounted on the dash. But my wife wants simplicity.

We are back to the stock headunit now.

2017 Highlander Lmt Plt
post #14 of 14 Old 06-25-2019, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Man you're a lifesaver, @drwong84 . Agree, my wife is going to be using the vehicle a lot and she would probably prefer a more mainstream head unit as I assume Android head units are very powerful but less user friendly. FYI for anyone else, iDatalink said last 2 model years of both Kenwood and JVC should work and to check compatibility on maestro.idatalink.com

Last edited by atothek; 06-25-2019 at 04:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > Highlander 3rd Generation (2014-2019)