Toyota Nation Forum banner

Rattle from underneath when closing doors

10K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  bought the ranch 
#1 ·
Anyone else have a rattle when they close the doors? Sounds like possibly exhaust shields rattling. Didn’t know if this was a common problem or if maybe I may have a loose part or stone somewhere causing it.

#2 ·
Rattle when closing door

I have a 2018 XLE and had the same issue. I could hear the rattling the most when closing the right rear door (vibrating sound that faded). Took it to the dealer. If it’s like mine, it’s likely the heat shield corner rubbing against another panel. The dealer could see that the panel had been rubbing and placed a piece of felt in between. The rattling has been gone, for 2-3 months now.

They did say it was within specs, i.e., won’t do anything other than placing something in between the corner and the panel.

#4 · (Edited)
Location where to install felt to absorb vibration

I believe closing the door vibrates the car. It’s possible the the noise occurs when traveling over bumpy roads as well but you wouldn’t know driving the car. Never heard it from outside while it’s idling.

I’m attaching a picture of where the felt was installed: underneath the car, under the left rear door passenger area, in particular where the plastic shield to the front is crimped into a corner, and comes into contact with the thin metal heat shield.

Attachments

#5 ·
I believe closing the door vibrates the car. It’s possible the the noise occurs when traveling over bumpy roads as well but you wouldn’t know driving the car. Never heard it from outside while it’s idling.

I’m attaching a picture of where the felt was installed: underneath the car, under the left rear door passenger area, in particular where the plastic shield to the front is crimped into a corner, and comes into contact with the thin metal heat shield.
Thanks for the pic, very helpful for others that may have this noise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.