Toyota Nation Forum banner

"popping feeling" in drivers seat back

6K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Larrystew67 
#1 ·
Anyone else have a popping feeling about mid back on their drivers seat? Any time I move around it feels like something behind my back popping or moving around. Kind of difficult to describe.

#2 ·
Yeah I think I know what you mean. I think it's called cost cutting. I had a 1990 Toyota hilux and it had what must of been the worst seat put in that era of vehicle, of course it fell apart and had to be redone by an independent shop and improved as a result. The rest of that vehicle was a tank. Not saying the highlander seat is bad or will fall apart but there is a touch of Toyota cheap skate there, basic vehicle though seems like tank lol

#6 ·
If under warranty I would take it in. Just keep in mind, these seats are the ame as the ones in the Corolla with different pad design and mounts. So popping is an issue of bad part. I have not had that issue.

#7 ·
Yeah it’s still under warranty. I am at 19,500 so going in very soon for the 20k service with a list of things to be looked at.

Vibrating brakes(tsb)
Rattle underneath when closing doors
Squeaky lift gate(tsb)
This seat issue

#8 ·
I’ve had the same thing for a couple of years now in my 17 Platinum. I searched the threads and even posted a question, but no resolution that I’ve seen. I’ve asked the service tech at my local dealer, but they can’t replicate. It mostly happens when I go around corners, or shift weight in the seat.

#13 ·
Has anyone taken this issue to the dealership? My '19 currently has 23k miles and the seat popping is not a pleasant feeling.

Also the constant squeaking

#14 ·
I have a 2010 model Highlander with the power driver's seat and lumbar support. It's doing the same thing. Seems very random, but I do know that it doesn't do it until I've driven it for a while during the day. I let all the support out of the lumbar feature and it seems to be less, but it still does it. I'm wondering if the lumber feature is loose inside the seat. Certainly seems like the area where it occurs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.