Rev Up Your Highlander - Scotty Kilmer Pimps the Highlander - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Highlander 3rd Generation (2014-2019) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 3rd generation Toyota Highlanders.

 15Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 07-10-2019, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member
 
lloyd123's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Central MA
Posts: 360
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Thanks: 7
Thanked 42 Times in 40 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Rev Up Your Highlander - Scotty Kilmer Pimps the Highlander

Maybe Scotty Kilmer isn't your cup of tea - I personally enjoy his videos - but if you're a fan of the Highlander you may agree with him on this assessment although he claims the four cylinder is OK but other reviews I've read seem to pan it - never driven one so I can't really comment one way or the other.

funman1, 2017Highlander and Mjl714 like this.

2017 Highlander Hybrid XLE Alumina Jade Metallic

lloyd123 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 Old 07-10-2019, 10:20 PM
New TN User
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
To be honest, he was the main reason I bought the highlander two weeks ago. Three other prominent youtube mechanic also recommended the highlander.
BagofLemons is offline  
post #3 of 19 Old 07-11-2019, 03:24 PM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Bloomington, IL
Posts: 481
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Thanks: 5
Thanked 39 Times in 35 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
That guy looks drunk in every video. He would make a great Dennis Hopper impersonator.

2014 Highlander XLE AWD
Vinny68 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 19 Old 07-11-2019, 06:06 PM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Guy is definitely a character. Don't think his reviews are anything special...

KA4993 is offline  
post #5 of 19 Old 07-11-2019, 07:53 PM
Limited
 
2017Highlander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,409
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Thanks: 132
Thanked 96 Times in 79 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
His reviews are great. I bet they'd be even better if he was drunk while doing them.
Phil Indeblanc likes this.

2017 Highlander Limited AWD, Blizzard Pearl on Black
2017Highlander is offline  
post #6 of 19 Old 07-11-2019, 11:52 PM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: SoCal
Posts: 244
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Thanks: 5
Thanked 26 Times in 25 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I watch Scotty most every day - some of his advice is definitely suspect, but for the most part he's on the money. And, if nothing else, his videos are entertaining.

2018 Predawn Gray Mica Limited AWD, 2nd row bench seat, running boards, funman1's Start-Stop module, interior LEDs, XenonDepot H11/9005/H16 upgrades
Highlander56 is offline  
post #7 of 19 Old 07-12-2019, 02:32 AM
2014 Highlander V6 2WD LE
 
Phil Indeblanc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CA, USA
Posts: 7,656
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1766 Post(s)
Thanks: 358
Thanked 398 Times in 374 Posts
Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I have watched him for a long time. While his video titles are a bit on the ClickBate side, his content is solid. Not really seen anything that he puts out being "suspect".

No frills and tells it like it is. Smart guy.

_____________
2014 Highlander LE-V6,FWD, XD-HID&LED, StereoUpgrade, Airfreshner-Cedar
Phil Indeblanc is offline  
post #8 of 19 Old 07-12-2019, 06:47 AM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 497
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Thanks: 11
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
How does he fix people's cars while making at least one YouTube video a day? What happens when it rains as he does not seem to have a sheltered facility to work in, he has an old shed full of junk? Does he crawl under each car to do an oil change and the constantly run to a dealer for the parts required for all the different cars he works on, more time lost?Does he have a decked out facility elsewhere and this shoddy setup is part of the gig? Is he a guy that did a lot of work on cars 20 years ago and hasn't touched many cars since except his old celica, so all his info on newer cars is just guessing based on the past?How many people on this forum could fix cars with his setup on a daily basis and not go crazy? Just sayin....
Nzott is offline  
post #9 of 19 Old 07-12-2019, 07:08 AM
Official TN Member
 
Hayabusafalcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Michigan (snow belt)
Posts: 510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 66 Times in 54 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzott View Post
How does he fix people's cars while making at least one YouTube video a day? What happens when it rains as he does not seem to have a sheltered facility to work in, he has an old shed full of junk? Does he crawl under each car to do an oil change and the constantly run to a dealer for the parts required for all the different cars he works on, more time lost?Does he have a decked out facility elsewhere and this shoddy setup is part of the gig? Is he a guy that did a lot of work on cars 20 years ago and hasn't touched many cars since except his old celica, so all his info on newer cars is just guessing based on the past?How many people on this forum could fix cars with his setup on a daily basis and not go crazy? Just sayin....

I just love how you dillweeds speculate and speculate when you haven't got a clue. Typical chatroom hogwash. You'd be fortunate to have a mechanic like Scotty Kilmer in your neighborhood that actually knows what he's doing instead of all the part-changers that call themselves auto technicians these days. He's showing you how to do things yourself rather than vastly overspend at typical shops and dealerships. My god man, he's saving you hundreds if not thousands. Cut the mindless chatter and listen.
Haya...

aka Slick from Ada
Hayabusafalcon is offline  
post #10 of 19 Old 07-12-2019, 08:29 AM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 497
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Thanks: 11
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusafalcon View Post
I just love how you dillweeds speculate and speculate when you haven't got a clue. Typical chatroom hogwash. You'd be fortunate to have a mechanic like Scotty Kilmer in your neighborhood that actually knows what he's doing instead of all the part-changers that call themselves auto technicians these days. He's showing you how to do things yourself rather than vastly overspend at typical shops and dealerships. My god man, he's saving you hundreds if not thousands. Cut the mindless chatter and listen.
Haya...
Should i apologise for not buying a 1994 celica? The fact is reliability is not a good reason to buy a car anymore, as most cars these days are inherently reliable in relative terms .Toyota maybe better on average than most ,but buying a Toyota purely because it might be more reliable when one does not really like Toyota's is asking for disappointment. The 4cylinder highlander has to pull around 4500 lbs, if vehicle unladen, fully laden over 6000 lbs, he can't in good conscience recommend the highlander as a 4cylinder, the rav4 would be the better choice for that.He has good advice in an old fashioned way but he is the type of guy who would of said when the the 1994 Celica new , " I would never buy that dinky little thing, Toyota's were terrible rust buckets in the 1970s , i will stick with my trusty 1973 buick Le sabre..."


If you own one of these he will keep it in top shape using the spares in his garage.." Dont worry i have just the part for you i put it in here in the summer of 77, I am sure of it"

Last edited by Nzott; 07-12-2019 at 08:44 AM.
Nzott is offline  
post #11 of 19 Old 07-12-2019, 04:16 PM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: canada
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Thanks: 8
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzott View Post
Should i apologise for not buying a 1994 celica? The fact is reliability is not a good reason to buy a car anymore, as most cars these days are inherently reliable in relative terms .Toyota maybe better on average than most ,but buying a Toyota purely because it might be more reliable when one does not really like Toyota's is asking for disappointment. The 4cylinder highlander has to pull around 4500 lbs, if vehicle unladen, fully laden over 6000 lbs, he can't in good conscience recommend the highlander as a 4cylinder, the rav4 would be the better choice for that.He has good advice in an old fashioned way but he is the type of guy who would of said when the the 1994 Celica new , " I would never buy that dinky little thing, Toyota's were terrible rust buckets in the 1970s , i will stick with my trusty 1973 buick Le sabre..."


If you own one of these he will keep it in top shape using the spares in his garage.." Dont worry i have just the part for you i put it in here in the summer of 77, I am sure of it"

2012 Highlander Sport
V6 AWD
Syntecguy is offline  
post #12 of 19 Old 07-12-2019, 04:22 PM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: canada
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Thanks: 8
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I enjoy listening to this guy....when I am having a few "sodas" after work.
Most entertaining.....he gives me a good laugh!

2012 Highlander Sport
V6 AWD
Syntecguy is offline  
post #13 of 19 Old 07-12-2019, 06:06 PM
Limited
 
2017Highlander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,409
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Thanks: 132
Thanked 96 Times in 79 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Lol @ "dillweeds"
macE734 likes this.

2017 Highlander Limited AWD, Blizzard Pearl on Black
2017Highlander is offline  
post #14 of 19 Old 07-12-2019, 07:29 PM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: SoCal
Posts: 244
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Thanks: 5
Thanked 26 Times in 25 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzott View Post
How does he fix people's cars while making at least one YouTube video a day?
I would imagine that he makes a bunch of videos on the weekend and releases them throughout the next week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzott View Post
What happens when it rains as he does not seem to have a sheltered facility to work in, he has an old shed full of junk?
I imagine that the shed in his videos is not where he operates his business from (it's probably just a storage shed at his home).

2018 Predawn Gray Mica Limited AWD, 2nd row bench seat, running boards, funman1's Start-Stop module, interior LEDs, XenonDepot H11/9005/H16 upgrades
Highlander56 is offline  
post #15 of 19 Old 07-12-2019, 11:05 PM
Limited
 
2017Highlander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,409
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Thanks: 132
Thanked 96 Times in 79 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
^ what an imagination
Highlander56 likes this.

2017 Highlander Limited AWD, Blizzard Pearl on Black
2017Highlander is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > Highlander 3rd Generation (2014-2019)

Bookmarks

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome