Rev Up Your Highlander - Scotty Kilmer Pimps the Highlander - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Highlander 3rd Generation (2014-2019) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 3rd generation Toyota Highlanders.

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 07-10-2019, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Rev Up Your Highlander - Scotty Kilmer Pimps the Highlander

Maybe Scotty Kilmer isn't your cup of tea - I personally enjoy his videos - but if you're a fan of the Highlander you may agree with him on this assessment although he claims the four cylinder is OK but other reviews I've read seem to pan it - never driven one so I can't really comment one way or the other.

funman1, 2017Highlander and Mjl714 like this.

2017 Highlander Hybrid XLE Alumina Jade Metallic

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 07-10-2019, 10:20 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
To be honest, he was the main reason I bought the highlander two weeks ago. Three other prominent youtube mechanic also recommended the highlander.
post #3 of 19 Old 07-11-2019, 03:24 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
That guy looks drunk in every video. He would make a great Dennis Hopper impersonator.

2014 Highlander XLE AWD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 07-11-2019, 06:06 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Guy is definitely a character. Don't think his reviews are anything special...

post #5 of 19 Old 07-11-2019, 07:53 PM
Limited

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
His reviews are great. I bet they'd be even better if he was drunk while doing them.
Phil Indeblanc likes this.

2017 Highlander Limited AWD, Blizzard Pearl on Black
post #6 of 19 Old 07-11-2019, 11:52 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
I watch Scotty most every day - some of his advice is definitely suspect, but for the most part he's on the money. And, if nothing else, his videos are entertaining.

2018 Predawn Gray Mica Limited AWD, 2nd row bench seat, running boards, funman1's Start-Stop module, interior LEDs, XenonDepot H11/9005/H16 upgrades
post #7 of 19 Old 07-12-2019, 02:32 AM
2014 Highlander V6 2WD LE

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1766 Post(s)
Supreme Member
I have watched him for a long time. While his video titles are a bit on the ClickBate side, his content is solid. Not really seen anything that he puts out being "suspect".

No frills and tells it like it is. Smart guy.

post #8 of 19 Old 07-12-2019, 06:47 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
How does he fix people's cars while making at least one YouTube video a day? What happens when it rains as he does not seem to have a sheltered facility to work in, he has an old shed full of junk? Does he crawl under each car to do an oil change and the constantly run to a dealer for the parts required for all the different cars he works on, more time lost?Does he have a decked out facility elsewhere and this shoddy setup is part of the gig? Is he a guy that did a lot of work on cars 20 years ago and hasn't touched many cars since except his old celica, so all his info on newer cars is just guessing based on the past?How many people on this forum could fix cars with his setup on a daily basis and not go crazy? Just sayin....
post #9 of 19 Old 07-12-2019, 07:08 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzott View Post
How does he fix people's cars while making at least one YouTube video a day? What happens when it rains as he does not seem to have a sheltered facility to work in, he has an old shed full of junk? Does he crawl under each car to do an oil change and the constantly run to a dealer for the parts required for all the different cars he works on, more time lost?Does he have a decked out facility elsewhere and this shoddy setup is part of the gig? Is he a guy that did a lot of work on cars 20 years ago and hasn't touched many cars since except his old celica, so all his info on newer cars is just guessing based on the past?How many people on this forum could fix cars with his setup on a daily basis and not go crazy? Just sayin....

I just love how you dillweeds speculate and speculate when you haven't got a clue. Typical chatroom hogwash. You'd be fortunate to have a mechanic like Scotty Kilmer in your neighborhood that actually knows what he's doing instead of all the part-changers that call themselves auto technicians these days. He's showing you how to do things yourself rather than vastly overspend at typical shops and dealerships. My god man, he's saving you hundreds if not thousands. Cut the mindless chatter and listen.
Haya...

aka Slick from Ada
post #10 of 19 Old 07-12-2019, 08:29 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusafalcon View Post
I just love how you dillweeds speculate and speculate when you haven't got a clue. Typical chatroom hogwash. You'd be fortunate to have a mechanic like Scotty Kilmer in your neighborhood that actually knows what he's doing instead of all the part-changers that call themselves auto technicians these days. He's showing you how to do things yourself rather than vastly overspend at typical shops and dealerships. My god man, he's saving you hundreds if not thousands. Cut the mindless chatter and listen.
Haya...
Should i apologise for not buying a 1994 celica? The fact is reliability is not a good reason to buy a car anymore, as most cars these days are inherently reliable in relative terms .Toyota maybe better on average than most ,but buying a Toyota purely because it might be more reliable when one does not really like Toyota's is asking for disappointment. The 4cylinder highlander has to pull around 4500 lbs, if vehicle unladen, fully laden over 6000 lbs, he can't in good conscience recommend the highlander as a 4cylinder, the rav4 would be the better choice for that.He has good advice in an old fashioned way but he is the type of guy who would of said when the the 1994 Celica new , " I would never buy that dinky little thing, Toyota's were terrible rust buckets in the 1970s , i will stick with my trusty 1973 buick Le sabre..."

If you own one of these he will keep it in top shape using the spares in his garage.." Dont worry i have just the part for you i put it in here in the summer of 77, I am sure of it"

Last edited by Nzott; 07-12-2019 at 08:44 AM.
post #11 of 19 Old 07-12-2019, 04:16 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Should i apologise for not buying a 1994 celica? The fact is reliability is not a good reason to buy a car anymore, as most cars these days are inherently reliable in relative terms .Toyota maybe better on average than most ,but buying a Toyota purely because it might be more reliable when one does not really like Toyota's is asking for disappointment. The 4cylinder highlander has to pull around 4500 lbs, if vehicle unladen, fully laden over 6000 lbs, he can't in good conscience recommend the highlander as a 4cylinder, the rav4 would be the better choice for that.He has good advice in an old fashioned way but he is the type of guy who would of said when the the 1994 Celica new , " I would never buy that dinky little thing, Toyota's were terrible rust buckets in the 1970s , i will stick with my trusty 1973 buick Le sabre..."

If you own one of these he will keep it in top shape using the spares in his garage.." Dont worry i have just the part for you i put it in here in the summer of 77, I am sure of it"

2012 Highlander Sport
V6 AWD
post #12 of 19 Old 07-12-2019, 04:22 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I enjoy listening to this guy....when I am having a few "sodas" after work.
Most entertaining.....he gives me a good laugh!

2012 Highlander Sport
V6 AWD
post #13 of 19 Old 07-12-2019, 06:06 PM
Limited

Lol @ "dillweeds"
macE734 likes this.

post #14 of 19 Old 07-12-2019, 07:29 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Quote:
How does he fix people's cars while making at least one YouTube video a day?
I would imagine that he makes a bunch of videos on the weekend and releases them throughout the next week.
Quote:
What happens when it rains as he does not seem to have a sheltered facility to work in, he has an old shed full of junk?
I imagine that the shed in his videos is not where he operates his business from (it's probably just a storage shed at his home).

2018 Predawn Gray Mica Limited AWD, 2nd row bench seat, running boards, funman1's Start-Stop module, interior LEDs, XenonDepot H11/9005/H16 upgrades
post #15 of 19 Old 07-12-2019, 11:05 PM
Limited

^ what an imagination
Highlander56 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > Highlander 3rd Generation (2014-2019)