Aftermarket LED headlights/taillights - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Highlander 3rd Generation (2014-2019) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 3rd generation Toyota Highlanders.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By deontologist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 07-11-2019, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Aftermarket LED headlights/taillights

I'm seriously considering to upgrade a plug-in LED headlights and taillights on my '19 Highlander SE. I would like to see if anyone on this forum have upgraded it, if so, any pros/cons?

Headlights:

or

Taillights:

or

Lmk if you need links, most of them I found through aliexpress.com and type Highlander LED headlights/taillights. Any reviews on those products?

Last edited by asecondfaster; 07-11-2019 at 02:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-11-2019, 05:29 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Id think it would be very expensive. It had LED tail lights anyway just not like those and LED headlights are avail but replacing the bulb ..
post #3 of 11 Old 07-11-2019, 05:38 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
These on eBay? Looks cool, but I'd be concerned with the quality - all that money and time spent on installation and then they crap out after a month.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 07-11-2019, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hardy View Post
Id think it would be very expensive. It had LED tail lights anyway just not like those and LED headlights are avail but replacing the bulb ..
Expensive? It is a sequential turn lights for tails and heads...so tempting.

Video:

sequential taillights

sequential headlights

post #5 of 11 Old 07-11-2019, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
It comes with one year warranty .... www.aliexpress.com, I've ordered multiple items through that store, no issues so far.

post #6 of 11 Old 07-14-2019, 01:30 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
For your sake and everyone else's sake, don't do it. There's no engineering that goes into these Chinese LED headlamps. Headlamps are designed to keep you and other people safe first and foremost--they are not fashion accessories first, but rather safety equipment first (and fashion accessories second).

Granted, this study is not directly applicable to full-on headlamp assembly replacements, but, it is rather illuminating with regard to the level of engineering put into lighting products that are coming out of China. The fact is that there is 0 engineering put into these products, and yet they are being sold with promises of better lighting, safer driving, etc.

https://www.sae.org/publications/tec.../2019-01-0850/

Quote:
Several different LED replacement bulb kits, each designed to replace a conventional 55-W H11 halogen bulb, were purchased and tested in three different low-beam headlight units. Photometric measurements at several critical test points for headlight performance revealed that none of the resulting distributions met all of the test point photometric requirements.
Vangm25 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to deontologist For This Useful Post:
CharleyDC5 (07-17-2019)
post #7 of 11 Old 07-14-2019, 02:39 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deontologist View Post
For your sake and everyone else's sake, don't do it. There's no engineering that goes into these Chinese LED headlamps. Headlamps are designed to keep you and other people safe first and foremost--they are not fashion accessories first, but rather safety equipment first (and fashion accessories second).

Granted, this study is not directly applicable to full-on headlamp assembly replacements, but, it is rather illuminating with regard to the level of engineering put into lighting products that are coming out of China. The fact is that there is 0 engineering put into these products, and yet they are being sold with promises of better lighting, safer driving, etc.

https://www.sae.org/publications/tec.../2019-01-0850/
Generally speaking, for me, as long as Andy's Auto Sport or Car ID has an aftermarket light available I am more likely to trust them than... a generic light from eBay. Granted I look on those sites but I buy from eBay instead. I bought my Spyder LED Tailights back in 2014 and they have not caused me any issues since then, no leaks, no color distortion. On the other hand I do not trust aftermarket headlights. More so the angel eye, halo's, and LEDs are the ones I will avoid. My plan is to get a nice retrofit whenever my lights are finally sun burnt.
  • OEM headlights with Morimoto H11 HIDs, Morimoto 9005 LEDs, OEM Turn/Side Markers
  • Spyder LED Tail Lights, VLED Reverse Lights LED, OEM Turn/Side Markers (probably built in China but there is only one of each model, not one generic model copied over twenty times)
  • Morimoto Projector LED Fog Lights with Yellow Film (previously had iJDMtoy Amber LEDs, generic eBay Yellow Halogen)
https://www.andysautosport.com/proje...ota_camry.html
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...wtpackage=true

post #8 of 11 Old 07-14-2019, 04:40 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Personally, I don't understand the urge to play with aftermarket lighting parts, especially when major aftermarket suppliers such as Depo can't even design replacement headlamps that physically fit on such exotic vehicles as the Ford Taurus.

https://www.capacertified.org/wp-con...ALighting3.pdf

That's without getting into the photometrics, which are similarly laughably bad. And these are "certified" aftermarket parts from major suppliers.

My life is already sufficiently endangered by clueless drivers sharing the road with me. I personally don't feel any such urge to gamble with higher insurance rates and possible bodily harm to play with "Morimoto" and Spyder parts.

Also, I have a certain reverence for federal law, so I refuse to support "Morimoto," which uses a variety of tactics to circumvent federal law and detection by customs officials.

I could lecture for days about the stuff "Morimoto" pulls, but let's start with a laboratory analysis of some $1500 "Morimoto" headlamps for the Ford F-150. It revealed that they are using "Chi Mei Wonderlite" polycarbonate for the lens material. That is some bottom-of-the barrel crap, rated to last only 3 years of sun exposure maximum with a 30% haze tolerance if a proper UV hardcoat is applied. This is stuff used for chocolate boxes and high-heel shoes. In other words, if you spend $1500 to rip out the OEM Ford headlamps, you get headlamps that can only last 3 years in the sun without hazing significantly (up to 30% haze!)

There are plastics rated to last 5+ years and cost slightly more, but nope, "Morimoto" feels the need to milk people for every last cent when the headlamp itself probably cost like $100 to make. Most OEMs now are speccing 5+ year plastics now anyway; that's why you don't see 2014 F-150s with hazy headlamps (yet).

Last edited by deontologist; 07-14-2019 at 05:15 AM.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-14-2019, 01:19 PM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deontologist View Post
Personally, I don't understand the urge to play with aftermarket lighting parts, especially when major aftermarket suppliers such as Depo can't even design replacement headlamps that physically fit on such exotic vehicles as the Ford Taurus.

https://www.capacertified.org/wp-con...ALighting3.pdf

That's without getting into the photometrics, which are similarly laughably bad. And these are "certified" aftermarket parts from major suppliers.

My life is already sufficiently endangered by clueless drivers sharing the road with me. I personally don't feel any such urge to gamble with higher insurance rates and possible bodily harm to play with "Morimoto" and Spyder parts.

Also, I have a certain reverence for federal law, so I refuse to support "Morimoto," which uses a variety of tactics to circumvent federal law and detection by customs officials.

I could lecture for days about the stuff "Morimoto" pulls, but let's start with a laboratory analysis of some $1500 "Morimoto" headlamps for the Ford F-150. It revealed that they are using "Chi Mei Wonderlite" polycarbonate for the lens material. That is some bottom-of-the barrel crap, rated to last only 3 years of sun exposure maximum with a 30% haze tolerance if a proper UV hardcoat is applied. This is stuff used for chocolate boxes and high-heel shoes. In other words, if you spend $1500 to rip out the OEM Ford headlamps, you get headlamps that can only last 3 years in the sun without hazing significantly (up to 30% haze!)

There are plastics rated to last 5+ years and cost slightly more, but nope, "Morimoto" feels the need to milk people for every last cent when the headlamp itself probably cost like $100 to make. Most OEMs now are speccing 5+ year plastics now anyway; that's why you don't see 2014 F-150s with hazy headlamps (yet).
People take a chance, nothing else to it. I won't change my head lights until they are finally sun burnt because that part of safety concerns me. I'm willing to take a chance with the tail lights because as long as I know the red and then the RED lights up brightly during the day and night I believe I am good. Been driving with them since 2014 and have had no issues of anyone ramming into the back of me unlike most cars on the road with dead tail lights.

Designed by Morimoto, retrofitted by a retrofitter, or retrofitted by the owner. Headlights you can see from a website, headlights you need to talk about, headlights you need to learn about. There are multiple ways to get unique headlights, it's just a matter of what you want and luckily with Morimoto you will be able to see it already finished. If they got cheap plastic, then they got cheap plastic because if they were not cheap plastic they would not be the price they are listed at.

It's up to what you want OP. I personally would not get those "generic" lights because I don't trust them but if you want them then get them. It's your choice. Just make sure they are safe and if they are safe get some pictures to share with everyone. Good luck!

post #10 of 11 Old 07-20-2019, 07:46 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
If you end up trying any out, would love to get your feedback, as I have never seen a highlander with any of these headlights here in Toronto, let alone any aftermarket headlights.

So would be interesting to see as I would consider them in the future. Especially with the halo rings.

2018 - Highlander Hybrid XLE
2015 - Corolla S 50th Anniversary Edition
post #11 of 11 Old 07-20-2019, 08:02 PM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamG89 View Post
If you end up trying any out, would love to get your feedback, as I have never seen a highlander with any of these headlights here in Toronto, let alone any aftermarket headlights.

So would be interesting to see as I would consider them in the future. Especially with the halo rings.
At that point a retrofit may be worth looking into.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > Highlander 3rd Generation (2014-2019)