2014 Highlander: Need help choosing a model - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Highlander 3rd Generation (2014-2019) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 3rd generation Toyota Highlanders.

 14Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 Old 02-27-2014, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
New TN User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vernon Hills, IL
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2014 Highlander: Need help choosing a model

Hello forum - long time lurker, very limited poster.....

My wife and I are ready to pull the trigger on a 2014 Highlander. We've already test driven, chosen colors, etc. She's coming out of a 2003 Honda Pilot with cloth seats (bought new - we keep cars for the long haul). Up until this morning I was gonna shoot for a Limited, but I am not-in-the-least-bit a fan of chrome wheels - much less chome wheel covers. I'm very disappointed that the ChromeTech wheel is the only option for the Limited. So here's my dilemma - if I buy a XLE with the second-row captains chairs, what am I really giving up aside from the BSM, rear parking sensors and cooled seats? I'm also assuming for the time being that the 18" wheel might be more quiet and smooth riding that the 19" wheel, but in all fairness I haven't yet researched that comparison.

Needless to say, whichever model we choose will be light-years ahead in terms of comfort compared to the Pilot (which up until now has been a champ of a vehicle, sans the luxury features) - just curious to know everyone's opinions on the above concerns. Many thanks for everyone's time.....
LouG is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 44 Old 02-27-2014, 09:28 AM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: The Deep South
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thanks: 17
Thanked 60 Times in 47 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouG View Post
Hello forum - long time lurker, very limited poster.....

My wife and I are ready to pull the trigger on a 2014 Highlander. We've already test driven, chosen colors, etc. She's coming out of a 2003 Honda Pilot with cloth seats (bought new - we keep cars for the long haul). Up until this morning I was gonna shoot for a Limited, but I am not-in-the-least-bit a fan of chrome wheels - much less chome wheel covers. I'm very disappointed that the ChromeTech wheel is the only option for the Limited. So here's my dilemma - if I buy a XLE with the second-row captains chairs, what am I really giving up aside from the BSM, rear parking sensors and cooled seats? I'm also assuming for the time being that the 18" wheel might be more quiet and smooth riding that the 19" wheel, but in all fairness I haven't yet researched that comparison.

Needless to say, whichever model we choose will be light-years ahead in terms of comfort compared to the Pilot (which up until now has been a champ of a vehicle, sans the luxury features) - just curious to know everyone's opinions on the above concerns. Many thanks for everyone's time.....
I think the Limited has a better sound system. Aside from that, I'm not sure b/c the 2nd row captain's chairs were a deal breaker for us. We need the bench and you can't get that on the Limited.
exigent is offline  
post #3 of 44 Old 02-27-2014, 10:38 AM
New TN User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: nantucket MA
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouG View Post
Hello forum - long time lurker, very limited poster.....

My wife and I are ready to pull the trigger on a 2014 Highlander. We've already test driven, chosen colors, etc. She's coming out of a 2003 Honda Pilot with cloth seats (bought new - we keep cars for the long haul). Up until this morning I was gonna shoot for a Limited, but I am not-in-the-least-bit a fan of chrome wheels - much less chome wheel covers. I'm very disappointed that the ChromeTech wheel is the only option for the Limited. So here's my dilemma - if I buy a XLE with the second-row captains chairs, what am I really giving up aside from the BSM, rear parking sensors and cooled seats? I'm also assuming for the time being that the 18" wheel might be more quiet and smooth riding that the 19" wheel, but in all fairness I haven't yet researched that comparison.

Needless to say, whichever model we choose will be light-years ahead in terms of comfort compared to the Pilot (which up until now has been a champ of a vehicle, sans the luxury features) - just curious to know everyone's opinions on the above concerns. Many thanks for everyone's time.....

Go under the Toyota website and go under shopping tools, explore and view brochures. Click on the Highlander and starting on page 14 and on it gives you a great comparision of all the features each vehicle has.
drag is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 44 Old 02-27-2014, 10:54 AM
Senior TN Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 2,274
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 735 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 148 Times in 132 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
When buying a car I always try to break it down by features.

#1 - What features do you actually want/need?

#2 - What features would you like to have, but not really important.

#3 - What features don't you like and don't want.

For me...I'm a minimalist. I don't require a lot of features. My wife likes a more refined vehicle (that's why she owns a Lexus).

Just because one model may have MORE features then another...you have to decide if those features are important to you.

For me...I can do without Navigation or Leather seats. But I needed/wanted V6 and AWD. Then I narrowed it down to features that might be nice. You really have to decide if you want to pay for them. Luckily for me the HL came loaded with features I wanted.

Features I DON'T like in high-end vehicles.

Navigation built-in. My IPhone-5s works fine for me.
Power Seats - I HATE power seats. Useless feature if you ask me. When ever I drive my wifes Lexus...I press the #2 seat preset button....and then wait about 2 minutes for everything to adjust to me. With manual seats I would have already backed out of the garage and out the driveway by then.
Leather Seats - Slippery and HOT. Wife likes them in her Lexus. I've never been fond of leather seats. Good cloth seats for me. Just scotch-guard them once a year. Keep up with the cleaning and they'll last and look good for years and years.
Upgraded Stereo - I prefer to listen to my music at home. Too much road noise for me to spend a lot of money on a stereo in a car.

Obviously MY opinion on features may not be the same as yours. So take a hard look at what you really like and what you don't like. Then go from there.

Good Luck
Phil Indeblanc likes this.
MikeInNH is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeInNH For This Useful Post:
TrailDust (02-27-2014)
post #5 of 44 Old 02-27-2014, 11:01 AM
Official TN Member
 
Sparkland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 825
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Thanks: 19
Thanked 93 Times in 85 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Believe me, you will regret buying that vehicle with those chromatic wheels. You could buy the vehicle you want and change the wheels later. I am sure someone will sell their XLE wheels and upgrade to custom. It will take some time.

I love all those options available on the Limited, but the Platinum has all the real tech goodies. I am not sure they are really worth the cost difference ($5,000) -especially if you have to fork over more cash to trade out the wheels.

Unfortunately with regard to a vehicle purchase their are no redo's. So if you need/want those expensive options just get the Limited or Platinum. I have never really been able to afford the top-of-the-line model in anything but a dishwasher (and I am sad I paid more for adjustable racks we never adjust).

The XLE is a really nice vehicle for a reasonable price and it has good looking wheels.

Happy shopping.
Phil Indeblanc likes this.

Last edited by Sparkland; 02-27-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Sparkland is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Sparkland For This Useful Post:
FlyFL1PgUy99 (02-27-2014)
post #6 of 44 Old 02-27-2014, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
New TN User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vernon Hills, IL
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for all the replies guys.....

FWIW, there's already an unused set of 2014 XLE wheels on Ebay for $625. I don't plan on buying them but it does show that it doesn't take long for new parts to come up for sale once new owners start modding their new toys.

Looks like I'm gonna start the process with pricing on a base Limited. I'll post here and in the 2014 price paid thread once something happens. Regardless, it looks like I'm going to have to place an order from the factory - the dealer told me that the Champagne/Almond combination is very rare in what is already a very tight supply.
LouG is offline  
post #7 of 44 Old 02-27-2014, 12:09 PM
OUS
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Thanks: 148
Thanked 54 Times in 50 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouG View Post
Thanks for all the replies guys.....

FWIW, there's already an unused set of 2014 XLE wheels on Ebay for $625. I don't plan on buying them but it does show that it doesn't take long for new parts to come up for sale once new owners start modding their new toys.

Looks like I'm gonna start the process with pricing on a base Limited. I'll post here and in the 2014 price paid thread once something happens. Regardless, it looks like I'm going to have to place an order from the factory - the dealer told me that the Champagne/Almond combination is very rare in what is already a very tight supply.
The only thing I can add to this is; if you are purchasing the car with an eye toward future resale value, get all the bells and whistles now. Used buyers seem to be impressed with them probably because they don't have to pay new retail prices.

I do agree the Limited has a superior sound system. If you are sitting in your driveway by yourself. Road noise, driving distractions, conversations will bring the sound system right back down to radio.
OUS is offline  
post #8 of 44 Old 02-27-2014, 12:09 PM
Do you feel lucky?
 
TrailDust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kalifornication
Posts: 33,873
Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7542 Post(s)
Thanks: 4,040
Thanked 8,597 Times in 6,047 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNH View Post
When buying a car I always try to break it down by features.

#1 - What features do you actually want/need?

#2 - What features would you like to have, but not really important.

#3 - What features don't you like and don't want.

For me...I'm a minimalist. I don't require a lot of features. My wife likes a more refined vehicle (that's why she owns a Lexus).

Just because one model may have MORE features then another...you have to decide if those features are important to you.

For me...I can do without Navigation or Leather seats. But I needed/wanted V6 and AWD. Then I narrowed it down to features that might be nice. You really have to decide if you want to pay for them. Luckily for me the HL came loaded with features I wanted.

Features I DON'T like in high-end vehicles.

Navigation built-in. My IPhone-5s works fine for me.
Power Seats - I HATE power seats. Useless feature if you ask me. When ever I drive my wifes Lexus...I press the #2 seat preset button....and then wait about 2 minutes for everything to adjust to me. With manual seats I would have already backed out of the garage and out the driveway by then.
Leather Seats - Slippery and HOT. Wife likes them in her Lexus. I've never been fond of leather seats. Good cloth seats for me. Just scotch-guard them once a year. Keep up with the cleaning and they'll last and look good for years and years.
Upgraded Stereo - I prefer to listen to my music at home. Too much road noise for me to spend a lot of money on a stereo in a car.

Obviously MY opinion on features may not be the same as yours. So take a hard look at what you really like and what you don't like. Then go from there.

Good Luck
^ This. Mike says it for me.



-------------------------


2008 Highlander Base 4WD
2002 Avalon XL
1987 Suzuki Samurai 4X4 - Treading where no Jeep can follow....
TrailDust is online now  
post #9 of 44 Old 07-17-2014, 10:55 AM
*Just the Facts, Ma'm*
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,742
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Thanks: 366
Thanked 139 Times in 101 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Love the Chrometech wheels...... just talked to the company and they have over 20 million wheels on vehicles...... they couldn't do that and have any problems or the warranty replacement would bankrupt them, I am sure..... so they are thoroughly, scientifically tested and outperform real chrome by a long shot.....

Easy to clean, no worries about delamination, pitting, or rusting. I love them!!!

Copied and pasted from another thread.... but wanted to emphasise that these wheels are built for the long haul.... if you run it into a curb (like I did) you'd get damage on any wheel; real chrome, chrometech, aluminum, etc....

But in everyday normal use - Chrometech will outperform any of them and retain their good looks longer.
Toddsta is offline  
post #10 of 44 Old 07-17-2014, 11:54 AM
2014 Highlander V6 2WD LE
 
Phil Indeblanc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CA, USA
Posts: 7,621
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1728 Post(s)
Thanks: 357
Thanked 395 Times in 371 Posts
Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailDust View Post
^ This. Mike says it for me.

Me too. Mike hit all the points that are important to me. KISS

I look at it in this way, The base of the car is about $29K. What features can you add to this to justify the added cost? When you think of $10-15K for added cost...
I can get a very usable used car for $15K for one of my kids at some point.
I can redo part of my front yard for that, change a roof. Update a bathroom.
Maybe put that in your kids education fund.

I already did all these a few years back, but you have to ask yourself how much are these gadgets worth to you?
How long do I plan on keeping the car?

Another reason I avoid all the bells/whistle electronics is that they tend to falter at some point or another. Then you have repair costs that are ridiculous. These are just my added perspective, others will have different prioritys, reasons, and wants that justify their needs.

Having said that I agree with Mike's list...... One thing I do enjoy is a good stereo, but I rather put that in myself anyway, as I do like music in the car, and I'm picky about quality and what my ear likes.
If you are an audiohead, as good as the JBL is, or as better as it is from basic, you may want to read the feedback for that particular feature of the car...as other features you have expectations of.
I'm actually fine for right now with the Basic none JBL model, as I don't want to lose some Entune stuff..errr ...well..its just too new :-)

_____________
2014 Highlander LE-V6,FWD, XD-HID&LED, StereoUpgrade, Airfreshner-Cedar
Phil Indeblanc is online now  
post #11 of 44 Old 07-17-2014, 12:11 PM
baf
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 356
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Thanks: 7
Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Lou, ignore these minimalists

If you were set on the Limited, get the Limited. Just change out the rims. End of story.
lensterman and Phil Indeblanc like this.
baf is offline  
post #12 of 44 Old 07-17-2014, 12:34 PM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 262
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thanks: 39
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Try and get what you want and can also afford!
Everyone's situation is different!
The chrometech wheels once you have them and see how easy they are to maintain you will not want to swap them!
Toddsta likes this.

2014 Limited Platinum AWD Blizzard Pearl w/Almond
lensterman is offline  
post #13 of 44 Old 07-17-2014, 04:58 PM
Official TN Member
 
JTS07TLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Plainfield, IL
Posts: 367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Thanks: 38
Thanked 32 Times in 30 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Limited Platinum hands down! Chrometech wheels look awesome and they aren't chrome, and I don't know why everyone keeps saying that. They are a really cool looking almost brushed aluminum look. Basically, they match the aluminum look of the other chrometech things on the car like the roof rails. The wheels look great and will stay in great condition for a long time. There should be no differences in ride quality as even the larger Limited wheels have beefy tires with tons of sidewall.
Oh and btw, like mentioned you do know wheels can easily be removed and swapped right? Lol don't get a lower base model just because you don't like the wheels. Infact there are two sets of new XLE takeoff wheels and tires in the Chicago area on Craigslist right now.

2nd row captains chairs are amazing! Pano roof completes the interior! Radar cruise, cross path detection, blind spot monitoring all seal the deal.
If you keep vehicles for a long time, get the best!

'14 Toyota Highlander Platinum

JTS07TLS is offline  
post #14 of 44 Old 07-17-2014, 05:05 PM
Official TN Member
 
Calif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 452
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Thanks: 21
Thanked 34 Times in 33 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Calif is offline  
post #15 of 44 Old 07-17-2014, 05:10 PM
Official TN Member
 
Calif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 452
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Thanks: 21
Thanked 34 Times in 33 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Just noticed how old this thread is
Phil Indeblanc likes this.
Calif is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > Highlander 3rd Generation (2014-2019)

Bookmarks

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome