Accessories Advice: New Highlander Purchase! - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Highlander 3rd Generation Forum dedicated to the discussion of 3rd generation Toyota Highlanders.

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 04-05-2019, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Accessories Advice: New Highlander Purchase!

I'm in the process of buying a 2019 Highlander SE, Blizzard Pearl (White) in Nightshade.
Thinking about putting the following on it immediately, but would love advice and have some questions.
  1. Protective Seat Covers
    - I'm thinking of covering the original leather seats with leather, first and second. Is this a bad idea for any reason? I'm considering CalTrend. HELP!
  2. Steering Wheel Cover
    - Will a leather cover on the wheel impact the "touch the wheel" sensing for safety feature usage? HELP!
  3. Rear Bumper Protector
    - Since it is all black trim on the outside, I'm thinking of foregoing the silver OEM one (PU06048214P1) in favor of Amazon's "Dawn Enterprises RBP-005 Rear Bumper Protector." Advice?
  4. Door Edge Guards
    - Leaning OEM to avoid sticky melting adhesives. Is this a good plan?
  5. Cargo Cover & Cargo Net
    - Is OEM the way to go here?
  6. Body Side Moldings
    - OEM. Not sure if I'll spring for the cost on these.
  7. Mudguards
    - Does the SE include them? I'm thinking down the road?
  8. OEM All-Weather Floor Mats throughout
    - We'll see how OEM compares with WeatherTech
  9. OEM Remote Start
    - What's the range?
  10. Thule Horizontal Roof Bars
    - Long distance apart for Oversize Loads (see Username)
  11. Amber Construction-Type Hazard Lights for Oversize Loads (see Username)
    - Professional Installation, I'll figure that out soon.
  12. Bull Bar?
    - Lots of deer around... Other than the Kluger (Austrialian Highlander) designed ones, what options will not impact the safety systems? HELP!

Last edited by Hangglide; 04-05-2019 at 10:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 04-06-2019, 02:59 AM
2019 Highlander XLE

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
The only one that I can help you with is the all weather floormats. They are really nice and I would put them in the same ballpark as the weather tech.

2019 Highlander XLE
post #3 of 31 Old 04-06-2019, 06:25 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Check that cargo cover may already be included already on XLE and above trims (stored below floor in back). In general, I think Husky Weatherbeaters provide more coverage than OEM or Weathertech for floor mats. My past experience with Weathertechs is that they eventually curl. Another interesting one is "Maxpider" Kagu. Check them out on Youtube. I have them on order. Popular with the Tesla crowd.

OEM cargo liner looks best, as it is made to cover the back of the 3rd row seats, whether they are up, or folded flat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 04-06-2019, 06:40 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Decorated gas cap? You are going to see that thing a lot...

If worried about hitting a deer and want a bull bar buy a pickup truck. I remember being in a pickup with a bullbar and had a 30 mph collision with another pickup, part of the bull bar broke off and impaled itself in the hood, that piece of 2inch steel pipe could have gone thru the windshield quite easily, the bull bar was fitted to protect the vehicle against scrapes etc during off road use, in collisions it is a liability.
Just a note about the cargo liner, it is good to have, but in designing it for the 3rd row it has grooves to allow the fold for the seats and this makes it hard to sweep out and the grooves will drain spilled liquids of the edge of the liner, negating the ability of said liner to contain spills...ah the joys of great design.
corollacoaster likes this.

Last edited by Nzott; 04-06-2019 at 06:51 AM.
post #5 of 31 Old 04-06-2019, 10:05 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
All Weather Mats...I like body side molding.. Id add HID or LED headlights, LED fog lights, replace interior lights with LEDs as well.. Mine came with mudguards..:
post #6 of 31 Old 04-06-2019, 10:38 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I have both the OEM all weather mats and the WeatherTech and the WeatherTech have much better hight coverage and contain liquids (snow, rain) better. No comparison.
I have the WT in the front seats and the OEM in the second row.

The OEM remote start sucks; line of sight and not so far at that.

Get the OEM cargo liner; it's the best for and functionality for this car.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by abellofiore; 04-06-2019 at 10:40 AM.
post #7 of 31 Old 04-06-2019, 10:46 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Hey sorry for late response on the other thread but let me chime in on a few things.

1/2) I wouldn’t personally put the covers on the seat or steering wheel because it defeats the purpose. The steering wheel has nice girth to it and feels good. The steering wheel is very similar feeling to my 16 rx350 f sport. The seats are leather so they will require some maintenance. I think you’ll be fine with monthly cleaning and leather conditioning.

3) I also wouldn’t put that chrome protector. If you want protection I would have a reputable paint protection film installer make a custom piece for that area, or have the entire rear bumper filmed.

4) My nightshade already came with the oem door edge guards installed. I will be completely honest with you, since they’re already installed I will be leaving them but I wouldn’t have put them on if they didn’t come with it.

5) cargo net - i find it extremely necessay so stuff such as groceries aren’t moving around as much. I will be ordering the oem net soon.
Cargo cover - if you will be using the 3rd row or are constantly lowering and raising it, I wouldn’t buy the cargo cover. It will become an inconvenience.

6) I’m 50/50. I want them for protection but I’m not sure how the car will look. I’ve been trying to track down another white nightshade that has them installed already at a dealership but they’re so rare to find to begin with in blizzard pearl and even more rarer to find one with the side moldings already installed.

7) the SE comes with them installed already.

8) my car came with the oem allweather mats front and 2nd row. It didn’t come with the 3rd row so I ordered a complete set of weather tech. Weather tech is great but IMO the oem are just as good and the front say highlander on driver side. If I can go back, I would have kept OEM all weather and just ordered the additional oem 3rd row for $50. Also the nightshade come with the special nightshade edition fabric mats.

9) I don’t believe there is an OEM remote start. Only Plug and play aftermarket that has the same range as your current key fob range.

10) not a fan of the cross bars. I think the black roof side bars look great as is.

12) not a fan of bull bars.

Also the 19 SE fog lights comes with white/blue light output. The low beams are halogen so I suggest replacing those. No need to change the fogs.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask or PM me. Congrats on the blizzard pearl nightshade SE.

2015 Camry SE
The Following User Says Thank You to bwsteg For This Useful Post:
Hangglide (04-06-2019)
post #8 of 31 Old 04-06-2019, 10:47 AM
New TN User

I also have the oem cargo liner that stays out to the third row seat so it goes up and down with the seats.

2015 Camry SE
post #9 of 31 Old 04-06-2019, 01:39 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I also have the OEM all weather mats. They have been so fricking helpful with two kids bent on destroying this brand new vehicle. I added the XenonDepot HID lowbeams and enjoy the increased light output. I added a rear bumper cover from Amazon that has an OEM look. It even has a Highlander badge in the center of the cover. I also love my hood deflector from FormFit. Has saved my hood from rock chips many times. Doesn’t help my windshield though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	69EEDA66-642F-4B5C-A68F-D836064C84CB_1554575697614.png
Views:	89
Size:	996.3 KB
ID:	237398   Click image for larger version

Name:	3C564651-FEE3-43D9-912F-BC0ED945F3AC_1554575897278.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	339.8 KB
ID:	237400  
The Following User Says Thank You to Dragonzspirit For This Useful Post:
Hangglide (04-06-2019)
post #10 of 31 Old 04-06-2019, 02:39 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwsteg View Post
... I think youíll be fine with monthly cleaning and leather conditioning. ...
I'm pretty sure that the leather used in the Highlander's seats are coated with a "clear coat" (as are most modern cars' leather seats); this means that there is no need to "condition" them (the conditioning won't be able to soak into the leather). All that's necessary is periodic cleaning.

2018 Predawn Gray Mica Limited AWD, 2nd row bench seat, running boards, funman1's Start-Stop module, interior LEDs, XenonDepot H11/9005/H16 upgrades
post #11 of 31 Old 04-06-2019, 02:48 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Honestly, the first thing I'd do (and, in fact, actually did do) is replace all the interior lights with LEDs and replace the low beams (and, optionally, the fog lights and high beams) with better lamps. You may also want to replace the backup lights too (it can give you better backup camera visibility at night). There's plenty of good info here on TN about this.

The second thing I did was to purchase @funman1 's circuit board (you can get it on eBay) that automatically disables Auto Start-Stop when you start the Highlander.

I have the OEM all-weather mats and they work great, although I'm sure that WeatherTech liners will work just as well and probably cost less.

2018 Predawn Gray Mica Limited AWD, 2nd row bench seat, running boards, funman1's Start-Stop module, interior LEDs, XenonDepot H11/9005/H16 upgrades
The Following User Says Thank You to Highlander56 For This Useful Post:
Hangglide (04-06-2019)
post #12 of 31 Old 04-06-2019, 03:18 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonzspirit View Post
I also have the OEM all weather mats. They have been so fricking helpful with two kids bent on destroying this brand new vehicle. I added the XenonDepot HID lowbeams and enjoy the increased light output. I added a rear bumper cover from Amazon that has an OEM look. It even has a Highlander badge in the center of the cover. I also love my hood deflector from FormFit. Has saved my hood from rock chips many times. Doesn’t help my windshield though.
Did the XD HID fit without any issues? I was reading about XD having issues on the 2019 highlander. Did you use the XD bulb ring or the factory oem ring? And what color temp did you go with? Thanks

2015 Camry SE
post #13 of 31 Old 04-06-2019, 03:41 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonzspirit View Post
Did the XD HID fit without any issues? I was reading about XD having issues on the 2019 highlander. Did you use the XD bulb ring or the factory oem ring? And what color temp did you go with? Thanks

The driver’s side bulb was a bit snug but it fits good. I reused the oem rings from the stock halogens. I went with the philips 4300k bulbs. Had a faulty bulb and ballast, but XenonDepot service was quick to respond (they even follow this forum) and took care of me. No issues since.
post #14 of 31 Old 04-06-2019, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
6) Iím 50/50. I want them for protection but Iím not sure how the car will look. Iíve been trying to track down another white nightshade that has them installed already at a dealership but theyíre so rare to find to begin with in blizzard pearl and even more rarer to find one with the side moldings already installed.
If you're just looking for pictures to preview the look, it looks like this 2019 Toyota Highlander SE Pearl with Nightshade is already configured that way. What do you think? Would this really help protect the door panel paint all that much?
post #15 of 31 Old 04-06-2019, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up

Awesome! Please, keep the feedback coming.

My take-aways so far:
  1. Protective Seat Covers
    - I wear gear on my belt that I cannot remove, and we've got a toddler for mostly the second row.
    - My main question for #1: Will covering leather seats (with a custom-fit leather seat cover) damage the seat's original inside leather?
  2. Steering Wheel Cover
    - Anyone ever seen a steering wheel cover on a highlander interfere with any sort of "touch the wheel" controls or TSS-P in general?
  3. Rear Bumper Protector
    - Dragonzspirit sold me on the "Auto Accessories Dealer Rear Bumper Cover Applique for Toyota Highlander"
    - I think I'm going to wait on Dragonzspirit's recommended hood guard only because of potential interference with another occasional hood accessory that I did not mention, so I'll have to wait and see.
  4. Door Edge Guards
    - Turns out the 2019 SE Trim does not seem to include these. I plan to install them myself.
  5. Cargo Cover & Cargo Net
    - Turns out the 2019 SE Trim does not seem to include these.
  6. Body Side Moldings
    - So if this is what they look like, would they really provide much protection?
  7. Mudguards
    - Turns out the 2019 SE Trim DOES include these! Thanks @Brent Hardy !
  8. OEM All-Weather Floor Mats throughout
    - I negotiated in the OEM All Weather Floor Mats throughout, but since I work at a construction site with Georgia Clay.
    - I may either immediately or later change just the front row to WeatherTech or Husky WeatherBeaters or Maxpider Kagu, if necessary depending on coverage.
    - The order paperwork called them "OEM All Weather Liners Tub Style PT908-48165-02" and "Cargo Liner Black PT924-48140-20", and an image search for the first code there looks promising.
    - I'll report back after some use, since I will definitely put them thru their paces.
  9. OEM Remote Start
    - I negotiated in the OEM Remote Start. Understand the range is basic. Anyone had success extending it?
  10. Thule Horizontal Roof Bars
    - The Thule Bars are not for the look, but for use. I hang glide. Think a 16 foot canoe on top.
    - I put a 16' x 10"x 6" bag containing a HG on top, put my harness in the back, drive to a site, unpack and setup, fly and hopefully soar on thermals or soon ridge lift, pack up, put the bag on top and harness in the back again, and drive home.
  11. Amber Construction-Type Hazard Lights for Oversize Loads (see Username)
    - Since the hang glider bag mentioned immediately above sticks out over the front (or back, but I can control margins on the front more than the back).
    - I simply put amber warning lights on it or the car for oversize load with a $2 permit from my state.
  12. Bull Bar?
    - There are a TON OF DEER on my route to work, and I've seen some put bull bars and off-road lights on cars. I'm just wondering if there are any that would not interfere with camera or radar, and could save the bumper in case of a 55 mph deer strike.
  13. Engine Start-Stop to Default Disable
    - @Highlander56 ; sold me on @funman1 eBay circuit board
  14. Headlight Upgrades
    - I've gotta wait until I've had the vehicle a while and done some night driving with it to make those kind of changes, but probably will before the first bulb burnout, even if for nothing more than to get a consistent color temperature.
funman1 and Highlander56 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > Highlander 3rd Generation