Slow start.(cvt) i assume this is normal? - Page 2 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Corolla 11th Gen (Sedan 2014-2019)/Scion iM (2016-2018) Forums dedicated to the 11th generation Toyota Corolla, as well as the directly related Scion iM

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 23 Old 09-07-2015, 12:17 PM
SOF
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Here are the other relevant diagrams regarding CVT ratios. Looks like automatic mode is faster off the line as it maintains a lower ratio longer than manual mode.

ianin12 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 Old 09-07-2015, 12:48 PM
Toyota Lifer!!!!

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobyg91 View Post
the cvt is designed to keep the car in lower rpms by changing the ratio's often. this is obviously designed with gas mileage in mind. sport mode keeps the rpms higher as well or once you get used to it you can learn where to apply the gas in the rpm range.
Agree. I had to get used to this when I first got the car. Wasn't used to it taking some time for it to get up to speed. When my girlfriend drove the car she said the same thing. But after driving it for a while now I can get it to go even in auto. It's all a learning curve especially since the CVT is still relatively new.
kobyg91 likes this.

Will G
post #18 of 23 Old 09-07-2015, 09:17 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
I have had my S-Plus CVT for 1-week+, and the shift paddles and revs are fine. I'm coming from a 6-speed stick (Audi) and would be persnickety if the Corolla shift action wasn't perfect. The mpg's are great.
post #19 of 23 Old 09-07-2015, 10:04 PM
2015 Corolla LE

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
There is a learning curve with the CVT coming from a 4 speed Toyota Automatic. I can tell you that. I normally give it enough pedal to reach about 4400 RPM (is peak torque being at 4400) and let it carry me to the speed I want. It's not like other transmissions but has good aspects. I like it.

In D mode I treat it like a 2 speed.
I'm still playing with S mode.

I had a guy in a Chrysler 200 look over at me at a spot light with open road ahead and a 60MPH speed limit. I thought.....okay I will show you what a 2015 Corolla can do....haha.....he blew my doors off. Left me in the dust. The Corolla isn't a race car.

Previously owned - 1978 Toyota Celica - 1991 Geo Prizm (pretty much a Corolla) - 1996 Tacoma - 2002 Tacoma 4 door

Last edited by nate42nd; 09-07-2015 at 10:12 PM.
post #20 of 23 Old 09-08-2015, 12:28 AM
SOF
New TN User

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Ran a bunch of real world tests. The CVT is fastest in D mode. A little slower in S mode. Slowest in M mode. The reason is D mode keeps the revs in the power peak longer. These gimmicks Toyota added to simulate gear changes, all they do is make the car slower.
ianin12 likes this.
post #21 of 23 Old 09-08-2015, 06:56 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
^^^^^Agreed with the statement above. Just tried out all modes this past week, and all I can say that Drive mode is the fastest out of all modes.

Sport mode is very useful when going uphill as you can increase the RPM range to zip through the hills.

Manual mode is just for fun. How I would use it is when I'm in the Drive mode from a complete stop, I slowly press the pedal, and after about a few seconds, I switch the shifter to M mode and you can make it feel "faster". Also a fun tool when going on the freeway since you can redline it all the way to speed limit.

Another tip: If your in drive mode, just press the left paddle shift (-) while driving and you can stimulate the same use of sport mode by throwing it to the highest gear possible. Basically, it your dash will show that your in D mode and in you press the left paddle shift, It will throw it to 3rd or 4th gear automatically so you can speed up.

11th Generation 15' Corolla S Plus - Super White

(Borla Exhaust, Dipped Emblems, aFe Drop-in Air Filter, Dipped Mirrors, All-Fit Mid Lip)

The Following User Says Thank You to ianin12 For This Useful Post:
Will Geronimo (09-08-2015)
post #22 of 23 Old 09-19-2015, 09:06 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I've noticed when I try to shift from 1st to 2nd, especially when the engine is cold, it won't shift at all, in terms of acting like a normal automatic or manual transmission. Once it warms up though, it's better.

I think that in the manual mode, the predefined ratios are just a suggestion, the computer can override if it's not safe to shift that way.

Occasionally it holds revs while accelerating, the CVT is probably changing ratios, but not holding them like you think they would in manual.

Also, if you're going for example 35mph in 3rd, and you switch to 4th but don't hit the gas the entire time, the CVT ratio won't change until you have your foot on the gas (cvt ratio doesn't change while engine braking)
post #23 of 23 Old 09-20-2015, 06:55 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by b8point5 View Post
This transmission is absolutely terrible. There's no joy to driving this car because of it and my fuel economy isnt even that much better than the 10th gen auto we have in the family to warrant this change. Honestly atleast 2x a week I dread having bought a 2nd 2014 when my first one was totalled because of this trans and sadly depreciation has hit this car hard after just one year of ownership. Given all that, as hard as I have to be on this car to drive it given traffic conditions here I really question how long this trans will actually last.
Too bad Toyota didn't develop a 6 to 8-speed tranny like VW has done with the DSG. I can't handle a CVT in hilly San Diego, need fast starts and ability to race between stoplights or will get run over. Would buy the manual, but wife doesn't like it. I'm coming from a 2001 Corolla with 4-sp tranny. May get the 2016 Corolla LE 4-sp auto, or just go back to a VW Jetta w/ 6-sp DSG, or wait for the Jetta VII next year with 7-sp DSG....

Last edited by calvol; 09-20-2015 at 07:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > Corolla 11th Gen (Sedan 2014-2019)/Scion iM (2016-2018)