Official 11th Gen Wheel Thread (Post all wheel related questions here) - Page 3 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Corolla 11th Gen (Sedan 2014-2019)/Scion iM (2016-2018) Forums dedicated to the 11th generation Toyota Corolla, as well as the directly related Scion iM

33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 116 Old 04-26-2017, 05:28 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
First off, thanks Brotha! That's a lot of detailed info and I appreciate you providing it so quickly. As for the rest...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brotha View Post
I'm not too sure if the OEM suspension is too soft to run the Rotas with regular tires but you will definitely need rolled/pulled fenders and stretched tires if you want the car to sit how I had it when aired out. You might as well roll your fenders now to prep if you're really set on buying air suspension.
I'm considering rolling them now, yeah. Just concerned I may void some sort of warranty, the car is only a few months old at this point. I'll have to read through all the stuff I signed.

Quote:

If you're planning to bag your car, I recommend that you don't drive it at a low height as you'll risk buckling your fenders. I drove so low that I rubbed through the front bumper where it meets the fender (it rubbed through the clips causing the front bumper to pop out) as well as my fender liners. That was the one of the reasons why I went from bags back to coils with stiffer springs as the bags were too soft for a low drive height and wheel fitment like that and I didn't want to run high air pressures to make the ride stiffer and risk popping a bag. For future reference, I drove with 30 PSI in the front and 70 PSI at the rear. The reason for the difference in PSI is because of the different bags used for the front shocks and rear shocks. The fronts use double bellow bags and the rears use a sleeve bag and typically sleeves will run on double the pressure of the double bellows.

Hopefully this helps.
I haven't actually done much research on air ride aside from which supplier offers which price, and by some stroke of dumb luck I find a wheel and suspension expert in the same place? Not bad.

Although it's off-topic, which manufacturer/kit did you end up using? Do you think it will fit 2017 models? Is it possible to run high pressure/install sleeves on the front so I don't end up having the same problems? The roads are worse than a bombed-out nuclear wasteland full of craters where I live, potholes everywhere.

Also also, I noticed aftermarket lips on front bumper/skirt/rear bumper on some of your pics and was wondering if you know anything about those being designed/fitted for the 17 model year.

Really appreciate all your help, Brotha (feels weird to say that as a white dude).

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 116 Old 04-26-2017, 09:26 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL0WR0LLA View Post
First off, thanks Brotha! That's a lot of detailed info and I appreciate you providing it so quickly. As for the rest...

I'm considering rolling them now, yeah. Just concerned I may void some sort of warranty, the car is only a few months old at this point. I'll have to read through all the stuff I signed.
You won't void your warranty rolling your fenders. Your warranty won't be honored if the modification you've done is the cause of a problem on your car and I highly doubt rolled fenders would cause any sort of problem as that is just a cosmetic mod BUT I talked with someone who tried trading their Corolla in and they were denied as their fenders were rolled. It probably depends on the dealer of course but just keep that in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL0WR0LLA View Post
I haven't actually done much research on air ride aside from which supplier offers which price, and by some stroke of dumb luck I find a wheel and suspension expert in the same place? Not bad.

Although it's off-topic, which manufacturer/kit did you end up using? Do you think it will fit 2017 models? Is it possible to run high pressure/install sleeves on the front so I don't end up having the same problems? The roads are worse than a bombed-out nuclear wasteland full of craters where I live, potholes everywhere.

Also also, I noticed aftermarket lips on front bumper/skirt/rear bumper on some of your pics and was wondering if you know anything about those being designed/fitted for the 17 model year.

Really appreciate all your help, Brotha (feels weird to say that as a white dude).

Cheers.
Yes, the air suspension I had will fit 2017 models. Anything 2009+ will fit.

I went with Airforce suspension shocks and Airlift V2 air management which is a pressure based air system with 8 presets. Pressure based means it goes by the PSI in the bags, not the height. So let's say you find the ride height you'd like and it's 50 PSI all around. The air management will always fill the bags to 50 PSI, BUT the height will not always be the same. Sometimes it'll be higher or lower. It was very frustrating airing up to get over a speed bump or into a driveway and when dropping the car using the preset back to ride height, the management would always drop the rear too low or not go low enough to where I'd like it and if I could, I would pull over to adjust it manually which was a pain.

I would suggest shelling out an extra 500-600 bucks and get the Airlift 3H which is a height based system that has sensors that will always keep you at the height you want, even if you add a load to the car. You could go for the older Accuair E-level to save some money BUT I always hear about the sensors breaking and it costs $250 to replace one. I would also suggest you have a shop install the sensors. The air shocks, air tank, compressor and air management are easy to install with the only hard part being routing air lines to the front and wires to the battery but it's pretty much just installing the shocks, setup your trunk with the tank/compressor/air management and run the air lines from the management to each shock and the connecting the air compressor to the tank and air management and run the wires from the air management to the battery. If you want a shop to install everything for you, the cheapest I've seen someone get quoted for was $300 and I was personally quoted $700-$1600 for a full install here in Northern California which is a lot for me so I ended up doing it myself for the first time. If you install it yourself I believe everything should cost you $3600 before taxes, $2000 for the shocks and $1600 for the air management. I would suggest waiting until Black Friday as you can save up to 25% if you look in the right places.

As for running different bags up front, I'm not too sure but I would guess that running sleeves would be a no no as it probably can't handle the weight of the engine as well as the double bellow bags. Also, if the area you live is infested with bad roads, I would suggest driving a higher height (you may just need to tweak your height as you get used to driving lower) and dodging big potholes, don't wanna risk blowing a bag.

Mapisa Group has a body kit for the 2017+ models but I have no idea if it's been released yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brotha For This Useful Post:
SL0WR0LLA (04-27-2017)
post #33 of 116 Old 04-27-2017, 08:29 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Dude you've actually exhausted my supply of questions, thank you. Time to hit up Google for some research. Bless.
post #34 of 116 Old 05-04-2017, 04:06 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
i really don't like the stock toyo tires that came on my 2016 corolla. as soon as they wear out im gonna put kumhos on my car.
i had a 99 corolla years ago that i bought brand new. the stock goodyear intergrity tires didn't last 2 years, even with proper rotation and pressure.
post #35 of 116 Old 06-07-2017, 04:54 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
18x8 with +38 offset will fit, correct? I have a pair of 10mm spacers, 15mm spacers, and 20mm spacers. Should I do 10 in the front and 15 in the back?

what size tires would be ideal?
post #36 of 116 Old 06-10-2017, 12:52 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Garage
So, this finally happened! XXR 555 18x8.5, 225/40
Really happy with the wheels and look, I do wish I went with my gut, and 235's.
But I'm done with major mods. Still might do vinyl roof. So happy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170609_190835_1497073627114.jpg (501.7 KB, 87 views)
post #37 of 116 Old 06-18-2017, 04:31 PM
Diehard Rams Fan

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Thanked 1,334 Times in 1,204 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaCRolla View Post
So, this finally happened! XXR 555 18x8.5, 225/40
Really happy with the wheels and look, I do wish I went with my gut, and 235's.
But I'm done with major mods. Still might do vinyl roof. So happy!
The 225/40R18 tires are perfect, the exact proper fit. I'm not a fan of an all black wheel but the design looks nice.

89 Supercharged White MR2 5MT/09 Corolla S TURBO CSM 5MT
17 Corolla iM CSM 6MT/ 17 RAV4 XLE MGM
95 Previa S/C White AT/06 Scion xB MT/10 Prius III Blizzard Pearl
post #38 of 116 Old 07-15-2017, 08:03 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Anyone running OE wheels from other makes?

I'm looking for a set of 10th gen XRS, CT200h, or Prius Persona take-offs, but would like to open up other options. I'm thinking there's at least two sets of VW wheels out there that would look nice on the 'Rolla. Not lowering this car because it's my mom's and don't like aftermarket wheels on cars with 4x4 wheel gap.

Last edited by roscoerobinson; 07-15-2017 at 08:21 PM.
post #39 of 116 Old 07-15-2017, 08:08 PM
Official TN Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoerobinson View Post

I'm looking for a set of either CT200h or Prius Persona take-offs, but would like to open up other options. I'm thinking there's at least two sets of VW wheels out there that would look nice on the 'Rolla. Not lowering this car because it's my mom's and don't like aftermarket wheels on cars with 4x4 wheel gap.
Not sure if you've seen it yet, but here are how the CT200h wheels look like on a white LE.
roscoerobinson likes this.
post #40 of 116 Old 07-15-2017, 08:18 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Thanks for the link. That looks great, much better than the alloys that come on these cars.
post #41 of 116 Old 07-16-2017, 01:03 AM
Diehard Rams Fan

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Quote:
Like the design of the wheel but not in chrome. And that chrome makes it so heavy.

post #42 of 116 Old 07-16-2017, 01:05 AM
Diehard Rams Fan

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoerobinson View Post

I'm looking for a set of 10th gen XRS, CT200h, or Prius Persona take-offs, but would like to open up other options. I'm thinking there's at least two sets of VW wheels out there that would look nice on the 'Rolla. Not lowering this car because it's my mom's and don't like aftermarket wheels on cars with 4x4 wheel gap.
You can tastefully lower it on TRD or Eibach springs. Lowering it doesn't mean that you have to slam it. By doing it right it only looks the way it should have from the factory. Maybe Toyota finally is figuring it out as the new 2018 Camry looks great and sits like it should with much less wheel/fender gap.

post #43 of 116 Old 07-16-2017, 04:50 AM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedMR2 View Post
You can tastefully lower it on TRD or Eibach springs. Lowering it doesn't mean that you have to slam it. By doing it right it only looks the way it should have from the factory. Maybe Toyota finally is figuring it out as the new 2018 Camry looks great and sits like it should with much less wheel/fender gap.
Thanks for the suggestion. Believe me, it's well understood and has been pondered. I've lowered pretty much every car I've owned, and some more than others, but I'm not interested in doing any suspension work to my mom's car other than maintenance. If it were mine I'd have installed springs within a month of owning it given the ride height.

I'm looking into wheels as it will need tires within the next year or so, and I figure it makes sense to get a set of take-offs with good tires because a +1 to 17" would freshen it up a bit. Honestly, I would probably be doing the same even if it came with the 17"s because IMO those actually look worse than the 16" LE hubcaps. And now would be the time to start keeping an eye out so I can jump on a deal before the tires become a safety issue.

Here's a nice resource I wasn't aware of. The selection is pretty sparse, but at least lucked out with the smallest hub bore.

http://www.wheelsupport.com/list-of-...ttern-5-x-100/

And here's a thread on VW Vortex that relates to the question - interesting to browse at the very least. There are some odd combos in there that surprisingly work extremely well.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ng-car!/page79

Last edited by roscoerobinson; 07-16-2017 at 04:56 AM.
post #44 of 116 Old 07-16-2017, 05:38 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONUV View Post
18x8 with +38 offset will fit, correct? I have a pair of 10mm spacers, 15mm spacers, and 20mm spacers. Should I do 10 in the front and 15 in the back?

what size tires would be ideal?
The 18x8 with+38 offset should fit nicely. I have 17x7.5 with +38 offset and it could go out a bit more without any problem. So, I would think the 18x8 would fit even better. Not too sure about the spacers. I'm assuming you want it flush with the fenders that's why you're considering spacers? I think there's a couple of different schools of thought regarding spacers so will leave it to the more experienced folks to help you with it.
post #45 of 116 Old 07-19-2017, 10:51 AM
Official TN Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedMR2 View Post
Like the design of the wheel but not in chrome. And that chrome makes it so heavy.
I agree. I plan to get these in the gunmetal color they come in to replace my steelies. I regret selling my stock LE alloys but I had no space for them at the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > Corolla 11th Gen (Sedan 2014-2019)/Scion iM (2016-2018)