Squeaky Bushings while going over bumps while braking - Page 4 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Corolla 11th Gen (Sedan 2014-2019)/Scion iM (2016-2018) Forums dedicated to the 11th generation Toyota Corolla, as well as the directly related Scion iM

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 55 Old 06-01-2018, 09:34 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Just spray some white grease on strut top mounts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 55 Old 01-18-2019, 10:34 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been having some kind of squeak or clunk noise at the front side of my 2014 Corolla for several years. It happens randomly but seems to be getting worse. It started at maybe 20k miles. Now I have 60k. It seems to be worse when it's colder and drier and happens when I'm at slow speed turning and braking makes it more obvious with bumpy road or up/down driveway while turning. I've taken to the dealer years ago complaining this problem and they just said can't replicate or it's normal for cold weather only to delay fixing so it's out of warranty. Now I've taken to at least 2 mechanics to take a look. I was first told I had very rusty brake rotors so I replaced both front rotors and pads. While braking is much better but the noise didn't change a bit. Other than that mechanics can't find anything obviously wrong in the suspension. I then later did some research found many people talking about sway bar bushings and I did find a Toyota TSB for 2014~2018 Avalon and Camry squeak over bumpy road to just change the sway bar bushings. So lately I asked a mechanic to change the sway bar bushings but guess what. Nothing changed. I'm very frustrated with this problem.
https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/3...l#post13935538
post #48 of 55 Old 03-31-2019, 09:04 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Alright guys, ready to really be p***ed off? I have the answer for you and it will only cost you 10$ to fix (assuming you have tools). I made a video
https://youtu.be/GW3gyJYI9r0
tlal likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kaden_423 For This Useful Post:
petergray8 (06-22-2019)
post #49 of 55 Old 03-31-2019, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaden_423 View Post
Alright guys, ready to really be p***ed off? I have the answer for you and it will only cost you 10$ to fix (assuming you have tools). I made a video
https://youtu.be/GW3gyJYI9r0
Fantastic video!!!!!

I forgot to update this post - I took my car to the dealer for an oil change and mentioned the bushing noises. I had my dash-cam on "silent" mode and I actually got footage of the test drive..the guy was taking a few turns pretty hard but luckily it made the bushing noise VERY apparent.

They called me to tell me it'd be ~$700 to replace both lower control arms and perform a front-end alignment. It was then that I told them I have a 125k warranty on the car - they called the Toyota financial company and got the repair approved immediately.

They did say that the bushing were cracked and had signs of wear, but I'm wondering if lubing them up with brake lube would have quieted them down. Was that just a bottle of normal lube that you put on the back side of the pads?

I'm so glad you found a way to resolve this without actually having to replace the LCA's. My car is only at 100k now and this issue had been going on since about 60-70k, so I'm expecting to see it again in the future once I'm out of warranty!
post #50 of 55 Old 05-10-2019, 01:19 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you a ton!!!! I have a 2017 Toyota Corolla le eco. Got it with 7 miles and everything was perfect. Once I hit about 11k miles is where this sound started to develop. Now at 17k. Every time I drove my car I would hear this noise at least 5 or 6 times. Once I looked up possible symptoms I thought it was the sway bar bushings. Once I sprayed those with silicone wd-40 and the noise was still there. I felt I was shit out of luck until I saw your video. I sprayed that spot with the same silicone wd-40 and NO MORE SOUND!!! Once it wears off I'll apply actual grease to it. THANK YOU!
post #51 of 55 Old 05-10-2019, 12:46 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
It's amazing the difference that five minutes and a $15 bottle of brake lube made. My Corolla was loud going over bumps and now the creaking is gone!

Thanks Kaden_423!
post #52 of 55 Old 05-12-2019, 01:13 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Thanks following

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #53 of 55 Old 06-10-2019, 12:31 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
2015 Corolla LE with 90 000 km started to make 'creaking noises' while going over small bumps in the road, no braking involved… using an old tube of Permatex brake lube, I greased up the pancake bushings on left and right LCA's and the noise is completely gone………...quick, cheap and easy fix...
post #54 of 55 Old 06-22-2019, 09:51 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just chiming in with another success story after greasing the rear rubber bushings on the LCA. Also want to note that you don't necessarily need to jack the car up to get the grease in there - I was able to turn my tires all the one to the opposite of the car (to get at the right side bushing, turn wheels all the way to the left) and reach in with some grease on my finger.

It'll be interesting to see how long this lasts, but I'm optimistic.
post #55 of 55 Old 06-23-2019, 04:26 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I’m going to have to do the same thing. Can anyone recommend an appropriate grease I can get for a Canadian Tire or Parts Source type place?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > Corolla 11th Gen (Sedan 2014-2019)/Scion iM (2016-2018)