2016 Corolla LE "Shudders" on idle (in gear) - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Corolla 11th Gen (Sedan 2014-2019)/Scion iM (2016-2018) Forums dedicated to the 11th generation Toyota Corolla, as well as the directly related Scion iM

1Likes
  • 1 Post By jolly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 05-15-2019, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2016 Corolla LE "Shudders" on idle (in gear)

Hello
I recently bought a 2016 Corolla LE with about 45,000 miles on it. The car works great, but I have noticed every once in a while (while stopped at a red light/traffic) when the car is in gear (I haven't felt it in park) the car will randomly shudder. It vibrates much stronger than normal and can be felt in the seat and steering. The shudder lasts for a couple seconds, and will happen once or twice a minute. Sometimes, it doesn't happen at all. I thought at first it was the AC compressor switching on, but the shudder occurs even when I turn the climate control off.

I don't have a full history on this vehicle, but looking at the CarFax report I got when I bought it, I don't believe the spark plugs have been changed. It's been over the 30,000 mile recommendation for changing them. Is it possible a bad plug is causing some small misfires?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-15-2019, 02:15 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootusercyclone View Post
I have noticed every once in a while (while stopped at a red light/traffic) when the car is in gear (I haven't felt it in park) the car will randomly shudder.
Not sure to what extent yours go, but that seem to be common behavior in Corolla (with rpm slightly fluctuating in the 600-700 area).
cb91710 likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-16-2019, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolly View Post
Not sure to what extent yours go, but that seem to be common behavior in Corolla (with rpm slightly fluctuating in the 600-700 area).
Possibly, but it seemed a bit more intense than what I'd consider normal on a car this new. My last car was a 2004 VW that had really bad misfires at the end of its life, so maybe I'm just really sensitive to that.

Is it still reasonable to change out that spark plugs at 45k miles? I ordered some since I'm planning a bit of a road trip in the next week or so and I don't want things to get worse while I'm away from home.

EDIT: The car stays below 700rpm most of the time. It might be up to about 1000 with the AC compressor turned on. The shudders feel like minor misfires, but I'm not getting any lights or anything.
post #4 of 6 Old 05-16-2019, 12:45 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
I highly doubt it's the spark plugs. Yours are probably fine, I don't think they need to be changed this early. These plugs are supposed to be good for 120K, and even then, they are probably in reality good for 150K. My Camry does something similar although it's not too noticeable, when stopped at red lights in gear. You can see the RPMs increase a little, I think the vibration has something to do with the computer telling the car to take in more air to maintain RPMs. If the vibration bothers you, I'd probably first clean the throttle body and replace the air filter to see if that helps at all.

2001 Camry LE 2.2L, Black, 146K as of 6/19
Bought 10/16 with 131K

2001 Camry LE 2.2L, Lunar Mist Metallic, 96K as of 6/19
Bought 6/01 brand new
post #5 of 6 Old 05-16-2019, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Sounds good, thank you so much!
post #6 of 6 Old 05-16-2019, 01:12 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootusercyclone View Post
it seemed a bit more intense than what I'd consider normal on a car this new. [...]Is it still reasonable to change out that spark plugs at 45k miles?
Unless you have oil or carbon accumulation, or a bad O2 sensor as underlying problem (or got a bad batch), sparks plugs should last 100K+ (or got a bad batch) but you have nothing to lose by changing them. Misfire may also manifest on acceleration (roughness and weakness). Impossible to say more from just a description and, again, it also may be the typical Corolla behavior of the occasional and slight "stop light" 600/700 rpm shudder (mine does that since new).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > Corolla 11th Gen (Sedan 2014-2019)/Scion iM (2016-2018)