2015 Corolla CVT software update service bulletin - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Corolla 11th Gen (Sedan 2014-2019)/Scion iM (2016-2018) Forums dedicated to the 11th generation Toyota Corolla, as well as the directly related Scion iM

3Likes
  • 2 Post By Di3S3L
  • 1 Post By Lollipop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 05-16-2019, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2015 Corolla CVT software update service bulletin

Hello - I know this topic has been discussed ad nauseum and I've read through as many of the posts as I could find but I haven't been able to find the answer I've been looking for. My goal is to avoid EVER taking my car to the stealership if I can.

So what I seek are what folks have experienced as "symptoms" of a CVT that actually needed the update. E.g., someone who had "symptoms," did the software upgrade, then noticed a distinct change in the CVT's behavior.

The symptom I have happens about half the time when I start to accelerate from a dead stop or a slow rolling stop. The CVT seems to not "catch" (if that makes sense) as I step on the gas. The engine very briefly speeds up a little, then the transmission "catches" or engages after that very brief period of not catching. My question to those more experienced that I am: Is this an issue that you may have had and if so, did the software update fix it?

I know some might just say to me, "Go get the update - it's free." Yes, I know that but the stealership in my area has some bad feedback with some people I know. I hope to avoid ever having to go there for anything. The one and only time I went there was to buy replacement windshield wiper blades. They sold my the wrong ones.

Thanks for your patience with me bringing this up again and I appreciate any input!

2015 Corolla S Plus CVT
2006 Corolla LE five-speed
2001 Lexus ES300 automatic
1989 Corolla DX five-speed
1987 Celica GTS five-speed

Last edited by corollamanjones; 05-16-2019 at 06:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-18-2019, 10:38 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Garage
You don't have to go to the dealership where you bought the car. You may go to a different Toyota dealership with certified service provisions, and schedule an appointment to have it done there. Replicate it with audio or video recording, and have someone to hold the camera for you, so you have more chances of catching it as you drive normally. It's been over 280K, and I don't think I've ever experienced a bad spin-up like how you describe your problem to be.
corollamanjones and funman1 like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Di3S3L For This Useful Post:
corollamanjones (05-21-2019)
post #3 of 6 Old 05-27-2019, 03:27 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The s/w updates actually created a problem with my CVT, similar to what you described. Mine feels like your driving a standard transmission car in too high a gear. When I'm driving at ~20-30 mph and accelerate I can hear a loud groaning noise with some vibration and lag. Almost feels like the CVT is lagging behind the engine's power band. I never experienced that prior to the updates. Dealer says normal, go figure.
corollamanjones likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lollipop For This Useful Post:
corollamanjones (05-29-2019)
post #4 of 6 Old 05-29-2019, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thanks!

Thanks Di3S3L and Lollipop - With that info, I'll wait till I get moved to FL and then research stealerships down there before proceeding further.

2015 Corolla S Plus CVT
2006 Corolla LE five-speed
2001 Lexus ES300 automatic
1989 Corolla DX five-speed
1987 Celica GTS five-speed
post #5 of 6 Old 06-01-2019, 10:04 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollipop View Post
Mine feels like your driving a standard transmission car in too high a gear. When I'm driving at ~20-30 mph and accelerate I can hear a loud groaning noise with some vibration and lag. Almost feels like the CVT is lagging behind the engine's power band. I never experienced that prior to the updates. Dealer says normal, go figure.

Not normal. Somewhat common, maybe, but several here, including me, have reported never experiencing this.

Anxious Owner of a 2018 Corolla LE
post #6 of 6 Old 06-03-2019, 09:07 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by corollamanjones View Post
The engine very briefly speeds up a little, then the transmission "catches" or engages after that very brief period of not catching. My question to those more experienced that I am: Is this an issue that you may have had and if so, did the software update fix it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollipop View Post
The s/w updates actually created a problem with my CVT, similar to what you described. I can hear a loud groaning noise with some vibration and lag. Almost feels like the CVT is lagging behind the engine's power band.
Could be normal for CVT under some conditions (hard acceleration) but not if it’s constantly operating that way. Vibration might also have a different origin.

The firmware update is not intended to fix but rather prevent a condition. So odd behavior before or after update require different attention: the service campaign provides for repair/replacement of the unit if it’s “too late” for the update, a good reason no to avoid it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > Corolla 11th Gen (Sedan 2014-2019)/Scion iM (2016-2018)