Holding up well under Uber duty - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Corolla 11th Gen (Sedan 2014-2019)/Scion iM (2016-2018) Forums dedicated to the 11th generation Toyota Corolla, as well as the directly related Scion iM

5Likes
  • 1 Post By raymond10078
  • 1 Post By rooster2016
  • 1 Post By jiantao
  • 2 Post By W57thNY

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 06-10-2019, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Holding up well under Uber duty

A buddy of mine fell on hard times, and needed to pick up side gigs (in addition to his regular job), so decided to start driving Uber. Since his car didn't qualify, I started letting him rent my Corolla for $25/week - I would have lent it for free, but he's insisted on renting.

I still only use the car for commuting, so it sits most Fridays through Sundays. My buddy picks it up on Friday, and returns it in time for the work week. Though I haven't asked, the car has been returned washed and vacuumed every Sunday evening.

Seat covers, and WeatherTech mats keep the car reasonably clean in between. There are a few minor nicks, and dings here, and there, but nothing unexpected, or excessive considering its use. The car is getting about an extra 1000-1500 miles a month, but there haven't been any squeaks, or rattles thus far, and seems to be holding up fairly well. It's only been 7 months, and I plan to let my friend keep going on as long as he wishes to keep it up.

I'm pretty sure the car's time with me will come to an end once my friend tires of driving, and then it'll probably be donated to my former high-school's auto shop. I'm fairly sure it'll be replaced with another commuter car...maybe another Corolla...those actually don't look too bad.

This will do...

Truth in Engi...that's not right...
The Ulti...no
The Best or...still not right...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-11-2019, 11:06 AM
Raymond10078

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
I recommend checking on your insurance. Insurance companies, from what I've read, will refuse payment if they were not informed of the business use of your car.

In addition, you're renting it . . . .

Sounds like a future insurance nightmare to me.

Not saying you should stop, but you'd better be well informed and prepared for the "what if".

I mean, let's pretend an accident occurs, that someone energetic lawyer ties to poor maintenance. Would they sue you, too?
stvotw likes this.
post #3 of 15 Old 06-11-2019, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond10078 View Post
I recommend checking on your insurance. Insurance companies, from what I've read, will refuse payment if they were not informed of the business use of your car.

In addition, you're renting it . . . .

Sounds like a future insurance nightmare to me.

Not saying you should stop, but you'd better be well informed and prepared for the "what if".

I mean, let's pretend an accident occurs, that someone energetic lawyer ties to poor maintenance. Would they sue you, too?
I'm actually covered.
The car is actually on a separate insurance policy for rideshare, with my buddy covered on the policy.
I'm aware of the risks.
As for the car being 'rented', we have no formal agreement written out, and I don't really push my friend for it.
Thanks for the heads up though.

This will do...

The Ulti...no
post #4 of 15 Old 06-12-2019, 05:10 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
if you have ANY assets please simply sign the car over to your buddy or stop the arrangements asap or risk losing every asset you have. Raymond is absolutely correct and despite you believing you have ride share coverage the problem is twofold and simple... YOU own the car and have an insurable interest in it, HE doesn't. Despite what you say, the fault in an accident is always going to follow the person with an insurable interest, not a casual driver. I am assuming you didn't add your friend to YOUR insurance (and if you are in NY I believe he also has to be one of the registered owners to get insurance on the vehicle)? If you are talking about Uber or Lyft providing their 'insurance' then think again. It may be effective when in active ride share mode, but it's so low level all of your assets are at risk. Why subject yourself to a lifetime of misery to let this arrangement exist? One simple accident, a million dollar lawsuit and guess who is being sued? YOU. Guess who will be paying that million off in installments? You. Guess who won't? Your buddy.
cb91710 likes this.
post #5 of 15 Old 06-12-2019, 05:23 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Lawsuits are scary... I'd suggest that if you feel comfortable with the current lending arrangement, then at least purchase an umbrella policy for yourself. My Camry is actually registered in my mom's name (who does have an umbrella policy). Even then, because the car isn't legally mine, I don't feel comfortable letting friends drive it on road trips, because if anything happens, my mom could be sued, as she is the registered owner of the car. I've been thinking about re-registering it to myself for this very reason.

If you trust your friend, an alternative suggestion would be to transfer the title to your friend so that the liability portion is on him. He's using it for rideshare, so most of the risk is during rideshare use anyway. Then you can have him "lend" *your* car back to you during the week for commuting, registered in HIS name. If you're in NY, I'm pretty sure you can write the car as a gift and the only transfer cost will be the title.
cb91710 likes this.

2001 Camry LE 2.2L, Black, 146K as of 6/19
Bought 10/16 with 131K

2001 Camry LE 2.2L, Lunar Mist Metallic, 96K as of 6/19
Bought 6/01 brand new
post #6 of 15 Old 06-12-2019, 06:10 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don’t see this ending well..
post #7 of 15 Old 06-12-2019, 09:07 AM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 395 Post(s)
I see the point of Corolla being able to handle an extra 18K intensive driving a year. Indeed! Spacious Corolla is among the favorites, with Prius/Camry, of taxi drivers in my town. Not without extra-maintenance cost though, even if it were (and it won’t) just more frequent oil changes than your usual once a year schedule.

Plus as others have mention: careful with insurance. As long as your insurer is aware of a second driver AND commercial use, you’re OK. But that’s another addition to your cost. Otherwise remember that Uber insurance works only when a passenger is in the car or, to a lesser level, when the driver is waiting for a passenger (online). The minute the driver is offline (which is bound to happen over a 72 hours period), you’re on your own…
post #8 of 15 Old 06-12-2019, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
I figured this would be the easiest way to reply to all...

I have taken the insurance, and liability issues into account.
First off, I'm not in New York City, or State.
The Corolla has a policy with Progressive, completely separate from my other two cars (actually, a different company all together).
My friend is on my policy (this took a bit of work, but it can be done).
The car is insured for personal driving, as well as ride-share (including the time when waiting for a call, en-route to the call, while driving, and upon completion), as well as specified that there will only be certain times the car is used for such purposes.
I've checked, and double-checked, to ensure that I'm adequately covered (above state mandated limits), as there are many things that are questionable about the Uber policy, I'm not trying to skirt any regulations, or pull one over on my insurance company.
I appreciate the feedback though, many of these points were brought up when I spoke to a different friend who happens to be an attorney.
I've also made periodic checks with, and calls to, my insurance company to ensure that the multiple sources I've spoken to at Progressive have provided all the same information, as well as having it documented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster2016 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiantao View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikev0882 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolly View Post

This will do...

The Ulti...no
post #9 of 15 Old 06-12-2019, 06:33 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Whatever arrangement you have and are comfortable with is up to you. I wouldn't have touched that one with a 10 meter pole. The head scratcher in me needs an answer though... aside from the $25 a week, what's in it for you? I mean, I would venture to say that you would be the only person in this forum offering their car up for ride sharing when it's someone else getting the benefit. Just the wear and tear on the car, the possibility of lawsuits (and no, you are never 100% protected), the extra costs of insurance, maintenance, and the rest would certainly point you as the loser and the other guy the clear winner. Maybe it's me, but the only way I could ever see me doing what you did was if it was a blood relative, not a 'friend in need'. What's the deal? Inquiring minds need to know.
post #10 of 15 Old 06-12-2019, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster2016 View Post
Whatever arrangement you have and are comfortable with is up to you. I wouldn't have touched that one with a 10 meter pole. The head scratcher in me needs an answer though... aside from the $25 a week, what's in it for you? I mean, I would venture to say that you would be the only person in this forum offering their car up for ride sharing when it's someone else getting the benefit. Just the wear and tear on the car, the possibility of lawsuits (and no, you are never 100% protected), the extra costs of insurance, maintenance, and the rest would certainly point you as the loser and the other guy the clear winner. Maybe it's me, but the only way I could ever see me doing what you did was if it was a blood relative, not a 'friend in need'. What's the deal? Inquiring minds need to know.
There's really nothing in it for me.
If it weren't for the person I'm doing the favour for, there's no chance I'd do it at all - I've been friends with my guy for the better part of my life (going back to elementary school), and he's one of the most trusted people I know. He's gone from the top, to falling on hard times (not completely his fault), and been one to hook me up with professional connections. He's like a brother.
As for the car...it's a Corolla...so no real loss there.
As you said, there's a risk, but I'm fairly comfortable taking the chance.
got-rice and jiantao like this.

This will do...

The Ulti...no
post #11 of 15 Old 06-12-2019, 10:37 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
As long as you stick to the maintenance schedules, the car should do well.

You will just have more than normal consumables. It's common nowadays to do ride share.

Karma will return you the favor 100x over.

In the garage,

9th Gen Corolla XRS
2012 Mazda 5

"If it ain't broke yet, it's probably still working like a Swiss time piece; until you open it up and all hell breaks loose"
post #12 of 15 Old 06-13-2019, 12:06 AM
straight cash homie

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 3689 Post(s)
Supreme Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by W57thNY View Post
As for the car...it's a Corolla...so no real loss there.
As you said, there's a risk, but I'm fairly comfortable taking the chance.
If something happens to the car, just go buy another one

The cars can take a beating...if a Corolla can take the wicked streets of Kabul, nothing in the States is a problem.
post #13 of 15 Old 06-14-2019, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by got-rice View Post
The cars can take a beating...if a Corolla can take the wicked streets of Kabul, nothing in the States is a problem.
Exactly why I'm not worried about...I've even seen some in taxi use around here.

This will do...

The Ulti...no
post #14 of 15 Old 06-14-2019, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75aces View Post
As long as you stick to the maintenance schedules, the car should do well.

You will just have more than normal consumables. It's common nowadays to do ride share.

Karma will return you the favor 100x over.
In the 7 months my friend has been using the car, he's done an extra oil change, and been watching the consumables (checking brakes, and fluids, etc). It's actually being cared for better than when I was the only one using it (aside from lending it out to friends, or family). I don't abuse the car, nor do I pamper it, and it's met my expectations.

As for karma, i'm sure my friend would do the exact same for me, or help me out should the roles be reversed.

This will do...

The Ulti...no
post #15 of 15 Old 06-14-2019, 11:48 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
you have a good heart
you have a good car
your friend is lucky to have you
I wish I have a friend like you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > Corolla 11th Gen (Sedan 2014-2019)/Scion iM (2016-2018)