Headlights Blinding Oncoming Traffic - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Corolla 11th Gen (Sedan 2014-2019)/Scion iM (2016-2018) Forums dedicated to the 11th generation Toyota Corolla, as well as the directly related Scion iM

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 05-03-2014, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Headlights Blinding Oncoming Traffic

Did anyone have to adjust their headlights from the factory settings due to them blinding people? Or is there, in fact any adjustment available?

Since picking up the car Thursday, I have made a few night drives on a two lane back road and have had multiple people flash their headlights at me as I approach. I guess they think I have HID's installed or something, or I am simply blinding them. This is new to me because my old Saturn's headlights were garbage!

Anyone else experiencing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 05-03-2014, 06:40 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Just once when I had some servers in the trunk to take to another office the following day. Unloaded the cutoff for the lights seems to be just about as high as it can get without blinding people in smaller cars. With the extra weight in the rear it was raised just enough to annoy a few people.

I know someone did mention this and adjusting the headlights down a bit. All headlights are supposed to be adjustable, so hopefully they can chime in with how they did it.

This wouldn't be an issue if the US required auto-levelers like most other countries do...

Family Toyotas
82 Corolla 89 Corolla 91 Previa 93 Pickup 94 Corolla 95 Avalon 96 Camry 02 Sienna 02 Tundra 03 Tundra 04 Camry 05 Corolla 14 Corolla
post #3 of 21 Old 05-03-2014, 10:22 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
I get flashed all the time, however, I show them the real high beams when I flick on my Phillips CrystalVision's.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #4 of 21 Old 05-04-2014, 12:08 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erad13 View Post
I get flashed all the time, however, I show them the real high beams when I flick on my Phillips CrystalVision's.

Wow that's really intelligent, its sad so many people are not smart enough to adjust their lights!

post #5 of 21 Old 05-04-2014, 08:43 AM
Official TN Member

I have a lot of issues with people flicking their lights at me. However I always run my fogs, so people should know you cannot run fogs and high beams.

So I usually show them the real brights.

GOT AMMO

2014 Corolla S+ CVT-Injen CAI-Magnaflow Muffler-20% Tint-Tein Lowering Springs
post #6 of 21 Old 05-05-2014, 02:16 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockGuy View Post
I have a lot of issues with people flicking their lights at me. However I always run my fogs, so people should know you cannot run fogs and high beams.

So doesn't this tell you that your lights should be aimed lower??? Seems like most people have no courtesy when it comes to this, if your getting high beamed all the time that is a clue your blinding people and many have reported that the cut off is to high. Whats the purpose for running the fogs all the time? Is it foggy there all the time?

post #7 of 21 Old 05-05-2014, 08:16 AM
Vivir el momento

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,532 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy9799 View Post
So doesn't this tell you that your lights should be aimed lower??? Seems like most people have no courtesy when it comes to this, if your getting high beamed all the time that is a clue your blinding people and many have reported that the cut off is to high. Whats the purpose for running the fogs all the time? Is it foggy there all the time?
because race car
post #8 of 21 Old 05-05-2014, 10:41 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatRoyale View Post
because race car

Yeah, I agree. My car feels turbo'd when my fogs are on so I keep em on even in the day time.

post #9 of 21 Old 05-05-2014, 10:42 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Wow that's really intelligent, its sad so many people are not smart enough to adjust their lights!

Well if you're intelligent enough to show us how to adjust the LED housing, then sure, we will adjust them.

post #10 of 21 Old 05-05-2014, 03:51 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
My wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee has HIDs and people flash back at her all the time as well. I just people think it's too bright. There aren't very many people around us that have HID/LED lights on their vehicles it seems.

As far as always running fogs? It's a personal choice, people barely pay attention on the road anymore, I figure my low beams and fogs may catch someone's attention who is hardly paying attention.
jlbarnes1973 likes this.

GOT AMMO

2014 Corolla S+ CVT-Injen CAI-Magnaflow Muffler-20% Tint-Tein Lowering Springs
post #11 of 21 Old 05-05-2014, 08:43 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockGuy View Post

Quote:
I don't understand why Fog lights bother other drivers. I've never owned a pair of fog lights ever in my vehicles but it doesn't bother me when other drivers have their fog-lights on.

post #12 of 21 Old 05-12-2014, 10:29 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyJack View Post
Did anyone have to adjust their headlights from the factory settings due to them blinding people? Or is there, in fact any adjustment available?

Since picking up the car Thursday, I have made a few night drives on a two lane back road and have had multiple people flash their headlights at me as I approach. I guess they think I have HID's installed or something, or I am simply blinding them. This is new to me because my old Saturn's headlights were garbage!

Anyone else experiencing this?
The headlights switch has many options. The setting between the headlights being on and the DRL being on is a setting marked by a symbol. Is it DRL plus everything else? The manual suggests a lot of lights are on with this setting, but that it shouldn't be used as headlights because its dimmer than normal headlights. Again, I can't recommend using it at night because Toyota does not recommend it either. And they say they don't recommend it because it's dimmer. So no solution, sorry.
post #13 of 21 Old 05-15-2014, 08:24 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natronx View Post
The headlights switch has many options. The setting between the headlights being on and the DRL being on is a setting marked by a symbol. Is it DRL plus everything else? The manual suggests a lot of lights are on with this setting, but that it shouldn't be used as headlights because its dimmer than normal headlights. Again, I can't recommend using it at night because Toyota does not recommend it either. And they say they don't recommend it because it's dimmer. So no solution, sorry.
i don't think that's the type of answer we were looking for in regards to "adjustments".. i think the OP was looking for a vertical adjustment for the LEDs from under the hood.. aka, having it point up, across, or downward toward the ground. That setting between DRL and low beam doesn't seem to make a different to be honest. I think the DRL LEDS that are part of the LED headlamp assembly are bright enough to be low beams all day and night long.

As for the topic at hand, I've gotten high beamed a few times but then people realize i'm a corolla and leave me alone.. it's not as bad as the lifted trucks in my area with brighter than the sun HIDs pointed every which way, or the old 70s/80s cars with a broken low beam pointed down and both high beams pointed up lighting up the sky and all the road signs from here to eternity though... so by comparison, my car isn't so bad, if at all. LOL.
IronYam and DjAnnexAlpha like this.

Facebook: RunWithTheSultan | #sultanpprshkr on IG, Twitter & FB
post #14 of 21 Old 05-15-2014, 11:06 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
No need to beat up on me dude.
post #15 of 21 Old 05-16-2014, 11:00 AM
New TN User

To people saying adjust them, they are not adjustable. I've been flashed a few times too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > Corolla 11th Gen (Sedan 2014-2019)/Scion iM (2016-2018)