Dealership servicing problem - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Toyota Dealers Toyota dealership reviews, comments, and discussion.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By nme7

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 05-24-2019, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Dealership servicing problem

Have 2008 HL due for servicing and just noticed that the engine air filter compartment cover was missing Both hold down bolts!
I changed filter along with vacuuming out compartment.
I feel this is gross negligence by service tech on last visit to dealership and potentially serious long term for engine if dust, debris etc. got sucked into engine leading to premature internal engine wear.

We live in a rural area with gravel roads, mud etc. and horrible winter. At least 5k miles put on since last service.

Suggestions out there how to handle this situation with service supervisor??????
(Dealership is established with good reputation).

Thanks for all suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-24-2019, 10:08 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
If they won't pay for new bolts, I wouldn't waste time fighting for it. What is your time worth? What do the bolts cost? Somewhere between $5 ~ $10 max?

But having said that, once the new bolts are in. Take a detailed picture of it installed on the airbox cover. Then after your next service, check to make sure the bolts are still there.
andrewst02 likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-24-2019, 12:50 PM
Do you feel lucky?

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7758 Post(s)
Thanked 8,691 Times in 6,117 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I agree, I'd call the service manager, explain the problem, and if you don't get satisfaction immediately then look for another dealership or, preferably, a reliable private mechanic, in your area.

For future reference, if the issue involved amounts to significant money then I always recommend that people first mention to the offending dealership/mechanic that you will inform the state attorney general's office consumer affairs division and file a complaint. Almost all states have such an office, and just mentioning you'll do that, plus contact the BBB to also file a complaint, using causes the manager to loses his/her water and give you what you're asking for. For myself, in one case I put a tire shop out of business due to my complaint via California's BAR.

Reputable service shops will gladly address your needs, and disreputable ones will not.

-------------------------

2008 Highlander Base 4WD
2002 Avalon XL
1987 Suzuki Samurai 4X4 - Treading where no Jeep can follow....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-24-2019, 02:00 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
I think the OP is looking for some compensation related to possible premature engine wear due to the missing parts. Maybe extending the warranty or some other kind of compensation. I don't think he is just concerned about the cost of replacing the missing parts. Maybe I am wrong, but that is my impression.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-25-2019, 01:12 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Thanks to the "flat rate" pay system used in many dealerships and other repair shops, this sort of thing goes on.

Techs are in a hurry to get to the next job in order to make any money. They rush thru the work - cut corners.

On another Toyota forum, a former Toyota dealer tech(15 yrs.) told me that the flat rate pay system is responsible for 90% of the problems that occur in dealership service depts. I've heard similar stories from other "former" dealer techs.

2015 2WD Toyota Tacoma Prerunner V6 SR5 1GR-FE 236HP
2014 2WD Toyota 4Runner SR5 1GR-FE 254 HP Dual VVT-i
2006 Toyota Avalon 3.5l automatic 2GR-RE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Commerce > Feedback: Buyers, Sellers, Vendors, etc. > Toyota Dealers