Cressida mx83 / Supra mk3 NA compatibility - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Cressida Forum No one can deny the Cressida has a solid platform. A cult Toyota classic.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 04-08-2019, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Cressida mx83 / Supra mk3 NA compatibility

Hey guys, long time reader first time poster.

I wanted to get your valuable insight on a project I'm looking to do.

I found a manual mx83 with a blown 22r engine for sale (dirt cheap), and I have a mk3 Supra with a mint 7mge engine but auto tranny and factory LSD. So I was trying to figure out if I can somehow swap the 7m using some bits from the supra into the cressida to have a decent daily/fun car.

P.S: I've read almost every post there is about 7m swaps and I know most will advise against it cause it's costly and not that efficient, but you need to know that I live in a country where old Japanese cars are extremely rare and it's almost impossible to import cars or parts from that era. So in order for me to have a good Japanese rwd car it's either this or nothing. Also, the supra is wrecked and can't be registered or I would've simply dropped a manual transmission in and drove it.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-09-2019, 04:37 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have an MX83 and the only car I have driven that is comparable with the driving pleasure I get from mx83 was a Mercedes w124. Go for it if you are getting a good Cressida shell, This way you will have a nice classic with a good engine and transmission but be ready for the pain you will need to take in order to make this dream a reality.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-09-2019, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Thanks a lot Hk2, but I was asking if the swap (7mge from a donor automatic supra mk3 into the manual W57 cressida which came originally with the 22r engine) was possible using the parts from both cars without too much pain outsourcing rare/purpose built parts

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-09-2019, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Also, the Cressida is absolutely flawless, interior and exterior wise. Chassis is rust free and the only issue with it is the blown engine (not really blown but taken apart for repairs and then left out due to parts unavailability)
I'm willing to get my hands dirty if that's all what it takes. I'm not a mechanic but I know my way around cars.

post #5 of 7 Old 04-09-2019, 10:05 PM
one turbo is one too few

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
A quick read says the bell housings are likely interchangeable on the w57 and w58 gearboxes, which means youíll need to get the w58 one for the 7m, the flywheel and a clutch. You might be able to keep the slave cylinder but that I canít say for certain as I donít know a lot about your specific model.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-14-2019, 12:01 AM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNacido View Post
Thanks a lot Hk2, but I was asking if the swap (7mge from a donor automatic supra mk3 into the manual W57 cressida which came originally with the 22r engine) was possible using the parts from both cars without too much pain outsourcing rare/purpose built parts

I believe the mx83 chassis is compatible with almost any Supra engine (the engine mount bolts should perfectly align with a 7m all the way to a 2jz) as for the transmission.. if it’s a w58 , then get a 7m bellhousing, clutch, flywheel, etc. and bolt on the w58 with the 7m housing and all the new parts and you should easily be able to drop the 7m into the Cressida and have some fun if the car is already manual swapped it should be a piece of cake the wiring harness should also fit as well. Hope this helped.. I have yet to manual swap my Cressida, but it has a 7mge in it so I don’t see why it wouldn’t fit in yours. Anyways.. good luck 👍
post #7 of 7 Old 04-15-2019, 05:14 PM
RA28 + MX73

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
It should be a straight forward swap but there are still a few things to worry about:

1. I don't now if the 22R version of the Cressida uses the same crossmember as the 7M version.
If they use the same crossmember then the swap will be almost trivial.
If they use different crossmembers then life will be hard.
Since most of us comes from countries that only have the 7M version (US, UK, Australia), a photo of the 22R version crossmember will help us judge that.
Different engines have the sump in different places and the crossmember has to bend differently to match.
The usual choices are front sump, mid sump, rear sump.

2. Gearbox.
As mentioned above the W55/56/57/58/59 are interchangeable with each other.
However, the bolt pattern between the bell-housing and the engine is different for the 22R and the 7M.
If you can find a manual 7M bell-housing then it will fit in no problem.
If you can't find a manual 7M bell-housing then it won't work.
The auto that comes with the 7M will slot in nicely (there are multiple holes in the chassis for the bolts for different transmissions).
I can't remember if the auto selector comes up in the same place for the Cressida and Supra - anybody else know?
The tail shaft will probably be a different length - a local speed shop can tell you who can shorten/lengthen that for you.
The auto should have the neutral switch wired up (not strictly necessary but much safer).

3. Power steering pump, air conditioner, radiator hoses, air intake hoses, electrical lines
May require some thought to reroute them.
Not insurmountable but sometimes requires a lot of frowning before the answer appears.
Make have to buy some new parts like the radiator hoses.

4. The engine computer will be different.
You will need to find wiring diagrams for the 22R Cressida, the 7M Cressida and the 7M Supra.
These aren't too hard to find on Ebay or the internet but forums rules prevent us from doing this for you.

5. Exhaust
You will need to have an exhaust shop adapt the 7M exhaust manifold to the existing pipe.
Not super difficult with the correct tools (welder, pipe bender) but not possible with just hand tools.
Or get one from a wreck.

6. Double check how many fuel lines go from fuel tank to engine and back.
1 from tank to engine, sometimes a return line and a line from the charcoal canister to the tank.
Might need to add or blank off the return line.
Not too hard.

7. If you are from a hot country then think about using a thermo fan instead of the normal engine fan.

- Stepho
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Cressida Forum