My Tercel wont start pls help - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Tercel, Paseo, Starlet, and Sera Forum Discussion area for Tercel, Paseo, Starlet, and Sera

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-11-2019, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
My Tercel wont start pls help

Alright..... My 1995 Tercel simply wont start. I've tried....many.... M A N Y things already and I seriously don't know what else to try anymore. I'm a poor college studdent lol & I simply cant continue to throw parts at it without getting it fixed one and for all. I would really appreciate if you have any suggestions for this.

Here is the List and order of things ive done to it:

1st of all, it was running. It had a bad leak caused by the oil pump & a mechanic friend of mine took care of it. It was properly taken out, he cleand it entirely, installed new seals and applied sealed it with silicone. NOTE : the crankshaft pulley gear was so hard to remove we had to thread it to pull it out and obviously install a new one in the process.

He timed it properly, we turned it on and thank God... no leaks anymore. The engine ran smoothly and all BUT it randomly misfired so we started checking what was the cause and started with spartk plug wires. The second he touched the cylinder 1 cable it ran smoothly but after a few seconds, with the vibration it the cylinder one went back to sleep so it misfired randomly from cylinder one. The same day I did the oil & filter change because I was waiting for the leak to be fixed otherwise an oil change wasnt going to be worth it.

It was surely the cable so I went hey, its ok I'll just get some new ones from rockauto (NGK wires) and done. I got the wires & replaced them and boy o boy..... the started. It simply didnt want to turn on anymore so.... I started diagnosing it myself here is the list of what i've done in order to date.

1. Checked my spark plugs spark (they are denso Iridium) and they all look fine.

2. A friend suggested checking coil packs with a multimeter and mine were off from spec (they were the original denso ones) and one of them simply didnt read resistance in the secondary resistance test so I thought that was it, coil packs. ( I bought new NGK coils from RA). Got them, installed them and.... nothing its exactly the same as before.

3. At this point i've tried cranking many times so my almost 4 y/o battery went full dead so I got a new interstate battery. Tried cranking and nothing.

4. I have one of those bluetooth OBDII scanners so I checked for codes and there are 0 codes....0.

5. Every sensor seems to be reading and funtioning properly in this car: throttel, air intake temp, O2, coolant temp, crankshaft position (I get about 140-190 rpm when cranking), MAP (reads a constant 1.0 atm and goes down to 0.8-0.9 when cranking).

6. Tried a MAP sensor from a 1992 tercel since has the same connector and its basically the same thing regardless of the difference in shape. Nope, it wasnt that.

7. My mechanic friend came back to check timing once again to see if it magically jumped a tooth and it was perfect. He inspected all grounds, spark from 1-4 cylinders, fuel from pump, fuses and voltage of pretty much everything that should be related to this and it all looked functional and within spec. We blasted the throttle intake with starting fluid and it didnt work. unplugged fuel pump, and injectors and no difference.

8. I replaced both main relays (100A and the secondary 30A one), same story.

MAN...

I believe I've tried most things at this point withing my car knowledge. it cant possibly be compression related (I think) because the car ran good prior to all of this. I have fuel, spark, my engine turns & I have cranking power.. WHAT IN THE WORLD could be possibly be keeping it from turning on!?

I will apreciated any recommendation/suggestion you may have. Here are pics of my engine, this is what it looks like atm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190411_180330.jpg (827.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20190411_180310.jpg (787.4 KB, 2 views)

1995 fully stock 5EFE 2 Door auto Tercel

Last edited by xcellfury; 04-11-2019 at 06:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-11-2019, 08:48 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1731 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Hi and welcome to TN!

1. When was car running last?

2. What changed in car between when it was working and when it stopped?

3. What brand ignitions coils do you have?
post #3 of 8 Old 04-11-2019, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
1.The car was running about a month ago.

2. The spark plug wires, after changing them it wouldnt start anymore. (we tested the old ones and with old coils too and it wouldnt start anymore)

3. Cables and coils are NGK.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-12-2019, 05:31 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
I do not see anything you checked related to checking for fuel. Spray some carb cleaer/stating fluid/ stuff that burns into the intake trac and see of ot fires. If so, then you need to see if the fuel pump is working. If not, see if it is getting power. It will have voltage when cranking or, running. Just turning the key on will not provide voltage. If it is not getting voltage, suspect the circuit opening relay or, wiring.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-12-2019, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
fuel pump is working and its getting proper voltage. I did spray starting fluid in the intake & tried starting but nothing happened.

Note: before installing the new battery, I jump started it a few times because my old batt was pretty much dead. Not sure if that has to do with anything here.

post #6 of 8 Old 04-12-2019, 11:33 AM
Senior TN Member

Lifetime Supreme Member
Quote:
I believe I've tried most things at this point withing my car knowledge. it cant possibly be compression related (I think) because the car ran good prior to all of this. I have fuel, spark, my engine turns & I have cranking power.. WHAT IN THE WORLD could be possibly be keeping it from turning on!?
Please expand on testing procedure and results that lead you to conclude you have fuel, spark and cranking power?

What brand ignitor?

Get one of these, cheaper than new battery. Old one can still be saved.
https://www.harborfreight.com/15-amp...ner-99857.html

Don't replace perfectly working parts with brand-new perfectly working parts. Nothing will change because actual problem hasn't been identified. Pull every single fuse, measure its resistance and post list. Thx
post #7 of 8 Old 04-13-2019, 06:00 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Sorry- I went back and re-read your post. It sounds like you have fuel. OK so, it was running but, with a misfire. Then you changed plug wires, then it rained, then it would not "turn on" -start. (Pet peeve almost every mechanic out there-:"turn on" means you have power to the ignition -not start.)

"Note: before installing the new battery, I jump started it a few times because my old batt was pretty much dead. Not sure if that has to do with anything here"

You did not by mistake hook up the jumpers cables backwards?

I am wondering if may be the ECM got fried? Also does your car leak water inside? Could the ECM have gotten wet?
post #8 of 8 Old 04-14-2019, 04:44 PM
Senior TN Member

Lifetime Supreme Member
Reversing cables will most likely blow AM1 fuse and possibly EFI. Hence, need to measure all fuses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Tercel, Paseo, Starlet, and Sera Forum