T-100 at the end of itís life - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
T-100 Forum Discussion forum for the short-lived but extremely popular Toyota T-100 model.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 05-16-2019, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
T-100 at the end of itís life

My 1995 T100 turned 24 in March and has served me well...original owner. Went in the other day to get a state inspection and it needs a ton of work...upper and lower ball joints, both front wheel bearings...but the straw that broke the camels back was the frame rusted through (see pic). Itís on the frame near left rear tire...right by the gas tank. Took it to several welding shops and the repair on the frame is approaching $1000!! So Iím looking at options. Just a sad day!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DAC58BCF-4557-418C-88B4-6DEF7FBCFE96_1558016108930.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	393.1 KB
ID:	240692  

Last edited by scsiguru; 05-16-2019 at 10:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-16-2019, 11:13 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scsiguru View Post
My 1995 T100 turned 24 in March and has served me well...original owner. Went in the other day to get a state inspection and it needs a ton of work...upper and lower ball joints, both front wheel bearings...but the straw that broke the camels back was the frame rusted through (see pic). Itís on the frame near left rear tire...right by the gas tank. Took it to several welding shops and the repair on the frame is approaching $1000!! So Iím looking at options. Just a sad day!!
Major bummer! I guess it comes down to how much of the work you can do vs. what needs to be farmed out and the condition of the rest of the truck. Did anyone from the inspectors to the shops see signs of significant rust that's gonna take ya down a rabbit hole later if you decide to fix it this time. You can save a few bucks by getting under your truck with a wire wheel and doing the prep work for the welders. Guess ya gotta decide on some elbow grease and a hit to your credit card at the welder or payments on another truck!
post #3 of 5 Old 05-16-2019, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdspeed View Post
Major bummer! I guess it comes down to how much of the work you can do vs. what needs to be farmed out and the condition of the rest of the truck. Did anyone from the inspectors to the shops see signs of significant rust that's gonna take ya down a rabbit hole later if you decide to fix it this time. You can save a few bucks by getting under your truck with a wire wheel and doing the prep work for the welders. Guess ya gotta decide on some elbow grease and a hit to your credit card at the welder or payments on another truck!
No..the inspection shop and the welders didn't say anything about additional rust...but who knows. The inspection process in my state is such joke. What one guy says is an issue another one doesn't even mention it..go figure. I must just take it to another station down the road from me and see what they say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-16-2019, 12:53 PM
T100 Road Warrior...

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Thanked 3,674 Times in 2,905 Posts
Supreme Member
Garage
Wink

If yer looking fer another T-100...

Sorry to hear yer frame got the rust bug. How bad are the control arms or other areas on the truck? Any issues on top of the gas tank?

1998 T-100 SR5 2WD auto, Roadmaster Active suspension, dual oil catch jars, AC mod, aero cap, lower aero package, 67% grill block, aero single wheel trailer
post #5 of 5 Old 05-16-2019, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
T-100 at the end of itís life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamZipPow View Post
If yer looking fer another T-100...

Sorry to hear yer frame got the rust bug. How bad are the control arms or other areas on the truck? Any issues on top of the gas tank?

Hereís a couple of pics of the front end...first is passengers side...second is driverís side. The gas tank was replaced a fews years back so it ďshouldĒ be good.

Last edited by scsiguru; 05-16-2019 at 03:43 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scsiguru For This Useful Post:
BamZipPow (05-16-2019), sdspeed (05-16-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > T-100 Forum