Spare Winch Replacement & The Truck Bed - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
T-100 Forum Discussion forum for the short-lived but extremely popular Toyota T-100 model.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dhowman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 05-22-2019, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Dhowman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Spare Winch Replacement & The Truck Bed

Hi All -

So, to proceed with the camper solution, I decided I needed to get that spare out of the bed first (a result of this). Ordered a nice used replacement on eBay for about $50 and thought (don't laugh), easy-peasy. Only 4-12 mm bolts to undo, drop the broken winch, bolt up the new.

Here's the problem, the bolts, of course, won't budge. And the usual bag of tricks I rely on when I run into this are severly limited given how little room there is where the bolt heads sit above the chasis rail and below the bed rail.

When I saw this, I thought to myself, "this can't be right": The only way to completely remove these bolts from the truck is to take the bed off?? At least on mine (more on this below).

So now I'm thinking of just getting a grinder with cutoff wheel or sawzall in there to lop off the tops, drop the winch, and bolt up the new one with the bolts going up through the winch and into nuts where the bolt heads are now. Seems like that should work, no?

But here's what's nagging me. Should there be more space in there? Enough to slide the bolts out of those holes w/o having to resort to removing the bed i.e. has my bed sunk down (due to rust)?

This is kinda critical at the moment given that I just found a slide-in camper (yes, one of these) that's kinda hard to pass up (my original solution before I decided to go DIY). But it's gonna be bad if there are Bed Problems lurking underneath that I might not be aware of.

It's also making me wonder if I shouldn't pull the bed liner to check the bed (never done this) before I pull the trigger on the camper on Friday (?) It only weighs 700 lbs (dry) but it's gonna be on the truck most of the time and get jostled around quite a bit overlanding.

Bottom line question: Is the bolt head clearance in the pic above the same as everyone else's? Or is this a red flag that my bed may not be in great shape?

1997 T-100 3.4L SR5 Xtra Cab 5-speed 4WD in San Diego, CA

Last edited by Dhowman; 05-22-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-22-2019, 01:29 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhowman View Post
Hi All -

So, to proceed with the camper solution, I decided I needed to get that spare out of the bed first (a result of this). Ordered a nice used replacement on eBay for about $50 and thought (don't laugh), easy-peasy. Only 4-12 mm bolts to undo, drop the broken winch, bolt up the new.

Here's the problem, the bolts, of course, won't budge. And the usual bag of tricks I rely on when I run into this are severly limited given how little room there is where the bolt heads sit above the chasis rail and below the bed rail.

When I saw this, I thought to myself, "this can't be right": The only way to completely remove these bolts from the truck is to take the bed off?? At least on mine (more on this below).

So now I'm thinking of just getting a grinder with cutoff wheel or sawzall in there to lop off the tops, drop the winch, and bolt up the new one with the bolts going up through the winch and into nuts where the bolt heads are now. Seems like that should work, no?

But here's what's nagging me. Should there be more space in there? Enough to slide the bolts out of those holes w/o having to resort to removing the bed i.e. has my bed sunk down (due to rust)?

This is kinda critical at the moment given that I just found a slide-in camper (yes, one of these) that's kinda hard to pass up (my original solution before I decided to go DIY). But it's gonna be bad if there are Bed Problems lurking underneath that I might not be aware of.

It's also making me wonder if I shouldn't pull the bed liner to check the bed (never done this) before I pull the trigger on the camper on Friday (?) It only weighs 700 lbs (dry) but it's gonna be on the truck most of the time and get jostled around quite a bit overlanding.

Bottom line question: Is the bolt head clearance in the pic above the same as everyone else's? Or is this a red flag that my bed may not be in great shape?
Maybe just me but the pic didn't post. If the bolt you use isn't too long and you still have clearance then I don't see why your approach wouldn't work. I would pull the liner out for a look see and good cleaning prior to sliding the camper in if it was mine. FWIW
post #3 of 12 Old 05-22-2019, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Dhowman

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdspeed View Post
Maybe just me but the pic didn't post.
Can you see it now?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-22-2019, 04:07 PM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Can you see it now?
Yup!
I think you'll be okay if you end up with the same amount of space by just reversing the hardware!

Just make sure you use the appropriate washers and maybe even some Loctite!
post #5 of 12 Old 05-22-2019, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Dhowman

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Yup!
I think you'll be okay if you end up with the same amount of space by just reversing the hardware!

Just make sure you use the appropriate washers and maybe even some Loctite!
Thanks SD. I'm gonna shoot for flat washer, lock washer and loctite which oughta keep that puppy on the bottom of my truck. It'll be tight, but it looks like that's what's in there now.

Is this clearance typical? Is it really designed so you can't get those out without taking the bed off?

post #6 of 12 Old 05-22-2019, 04:14 PM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Thanks SD. I'm gonna shoot for flat washer, lock washer and loctite which oughta keep that puppy on the bottom of my truck. It'll be tight, but it looks like that's what's in there now.

Is this clearance typical? Is it really designed so you can't get those out without taking the bed off?
i'll take a look under my T100 before dark and let ya know I see!
post #7 of 12 Old 05-22-2019, 04:38 PM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
i'll take a look under my T100 before dark and let ya know I see!

Sorry about the quailty. Didn't expect to see that much of a difference. Notice 4 bolts.

Mine, 1995 2WD Ext-Cab.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3193.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	241122   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3191.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	241124  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sdspeed For This Useful Post:
BamZipPow (05-22-2019), Dhowman (05-22-2019)
post #8 of 12 Old 05-22-2019, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Dhowman

(Thread Starter)
@SD: TY! Now that configuration makes sense. Mine doesn't.

@anyone with a '97 4x4: Does your's look like SD's or mine?

post #9 of 12 Old 05-22-2019, 11:29 PM
T100 Road Warrior...

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Thanked 3,686 Times in 2,916 Posts
Supreme Member
Garage
Wink

Keep in mind that there is a difference between the 2WD and 4WD xtra cab beds. The 2WD beds have standoffs which will allow more space between the crossmembers and the bed. To fit the 2WD bed on the 4WD frame, one has to remove these standoffs.

I still can't see yer piccie.

I've been using some Rector Tru Blu instead of Loctite to keep some of my non-critical fasteners in place.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RectorSe...1630/203490732

1998 T-100 SR5 2WD auto, Roadmaster Active suspension, dual oil catch jars, AC mod, aero cap, lower aero package, 67% grill block, aero single wheel trailer
The Following User Says Thank You to BamZipPow For This Useful Post:
Dhowman (05-23-2019)
post #10 of 12 Old 05-23-2019, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Dhowman

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamZipPow View Post
Keep in mind that there is a difference between the 2WD and 4WD xtra cab beds. The 2WD beds have standoffs which will allow more space between the crossmembers and the bed. To fit the 2WD bed on the 4WD frame, one has to remove these standoffs.
I guess that's good news, given there's a huge difference btw SD's configuration and mine and maybe the space (or rather. lack thereof) showing in my pic (attached this time) is normal (though a head-scratcher why they made it virtually impossible to remove those bolts).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5584.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	737.9 KB
ID:	241186  
BamZipPow likes this.

post #11 of 12 Old 05-23-2019, 12:56 PM
T100 Road Warrior...

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Thanked 3,686 Times in 2,916 Posts
Supreme Member
Garage
Wink

You could unbolt the bed bolts and fuel tube bolts and use some 2x4s to lift the bed up high enough to git access to the bolts. This way you won't have to remove the bed at all.

1998 T-100 SR5 2WD auto, Roadmaster Active suspension, dual oil catch jars, AC mod, aero cap, lower aero package, 67% grill block, aero single wheel trailer
post #12 of 12 Old 05-23-2019, 03:48 PM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamZipPow View Post
You could unbolt the bed bolts and fuel tube bolts and use some 2x4s to lift the bed up high enough to git access to the bolts. This way you won't have to remove the bed at all.
I noticed the "stand-offs" under my 2wd bed and figured that they weren't used on the 4x4 since it's suspension was on top of the axle vs. underneath on the 2wd.
I'm lazy so I think I'd just sawzall the old hardware out and install the new hardware in the reverse order, nut on top!
Curious? Where has the truck lived over it's life time. Trying to gauge corrosion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > T-100 Forum