2005-2009 frame recall letter - Page 12 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Toyota Recalls

Find out about the history of your next vehicle and learn how to track the history of your current vehicle.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #166 of 179 Old 01-22-2016, 02:17 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
What should I do?

Hello, new to the site but have been ready a little about the frame rust issue. I have an 05 4Door 4x4 and went to the dealership (Northern VA) and was told by them that "Yes" there is a recall but not on your VIN. I wanted to know more because the rust looks significant to me and they handed me off to Toyota HQ. Called them and the first person I spoke to took all my info then handed me off to someone that said it would've been covered until the 3yrs36mi mile and it sounds like I should get it fixed. DAMN what a kick in the eggs!!!! Told him I've been a 25yr Toyota buyer and he said "We appreciate you being a customer". The dealership nor the 2nd person HQ personnel wouldn't even entertain looking at it or pics. Incredible. I'm not sure how to post pics on this website. I went to "insert image" and it asking for a URL. You can see the layers of metal/rust on the inside frame where the front fender and doors meet. Does this warrant a frame replacement and/or intervention by Toyota in your opinion?

Much appreciated and thank you for any info that might help me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 179 Old 04-07-2016, 05:59 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
my experience

i see no one has responded to you. i just registered. i have an 06 and received the notice. i crawled under my truck with a hammer and banged all over. my frame seemed good so i figured on a 2 day coating. i took my truck to a dealer a hundred miles away and left it. before i got home with the rental car, i got a text with a pic of a hole in my frame. it was in the one spot i didn't check. inside the frame in the rear wheel well area. the part that curves up.
i ran into a fellow with an 07 who bought it used. he didn't know about the recall. i don't know if 2nd owners qualify.
i posed a question in a new thread and will ask it here just to cover myself.
my truck only has 50,000 miles. i'm concerned about getting my own engine back when they reassemble my truck. how can i tell?
post #168 of 179 Old 04-07-2016, 09:02 PM
Toyota Master Technician

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
2005-2009 frame recall letter

Everything is yours all we care about is the frame
If the R.O get says replace frame that's what you get a frame replacement nothing more nothing less

Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician
Lexus Master Technician
Hyundai Technician Bronze Certification
ASE Master Technician
ASE Medium-Heavy Truck Certification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #169 of 179 Old 05-02-2016, 05:03 PM
New TN User

What Should I Do

Hello again. I actually got a recall letter for my leaf springs. I brought it to the dealer and ask them to please take a look at the frame while they're under my truck. Spoke to the Service guy the next day and he said that my frame is pretty bad and if it was his vehicle he'd call Toyota Cooperate again to see if they could help me out. I did and was stonewalled again. I was told this time that the frame recall was my year but not my VIN and the recall had to do with defective metal that was used which in turn rusted. I got completely nowhere again. Toyota says "Let's go places". How about "Let's go places SAFELY". Toyota Corporate wouldn't even entertain looking at pictures. Incredible.
post #170 of 179 Old 05-22-2016, 11:42 PM
New TN User

fRustration

Seems like everyone from 2014-2015 has either had their frames replaced or sprayed...I bought my Tacoma late last year and didn't realize this was a problem until the limited frame recall had finished a couple months ago, I think it was March 26th of this year. I live in Florida too, so my truck wouldn't even have been covered, right? I haven't done a thorough inspection of the frame, but the inside rails are splitting apart basically from front to rear and I haven't seen this on any of your pictures posted here. What I'm wondering now though, is if theres anything to be done? The recalls over and I don't live in the states it applied to anyway...so what. I'm just screwed?
post #171 of 179 Old 11-13-2016, 08:41 AM
GOT SN❄W?

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1917 Post(s)
Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,731 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Looks like the frame recall will be extended to 12 years after the truck first went into service.

https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/38...over-rust.html

'05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s, 12/3/04
2010 Highlander 4WD
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
post #172 of 179 Old 11-27-2016, 10:02 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Toyota Rust Settlement

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-37966426

2015 2WD Toyota Tacoma Prerunner V6 SR5 1GR-FE 236HP
2014 2WD Toyota 4Runner SR5 1GR-FE 254 HP Dual VVT-i
2006 Toyota Avalon 3.5l automatic 2GR-RE
post #173 of 179 Old 11-28-2016, 11:28 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Moose View Post
Looks like the frame recall will be extended to 12 years after the truck first went into service.

https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/38...over-rust.html
Does that include me? I have a 2005 SBDC 4x4 SR5 and I forgot about the letter. I talked to someone who got the replacement and dug out the letter. It said you had to have it inspected by 3/31/2016. I took it in 4/9/2016 and they refused to work with me. Called Toyota and got a case number so they know I've tried. I have since talked to three other people that got their frames replace for free.

Thanks.

Last edited by Billzebub; 11-28-2016 at 01:24 PM.
post #174 of 179 Old 11-28-2016, 02:20 PM
GOT SN❄W?

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billzebub View Post
Does that include me? I have a 2005 SBDC 4x4 SR5 and I forgot about the letter. I talked to someone who got the replacement and dug out the letter. It said you had to have it inspected by 3/31/2016. I took it in 4/9/2016 and they refused to work with me. Called Toyota and got a case number so they know I've tried. I have since talked to three other people that got their frames replace for free.

Thanks.
I suspect it will once the dust settles on that verdict. I'm guessing Toyota will be required to send out an updated letter...or maybe there's no requirement of sending an update which would help them keep it quiet.

2010 Highlander 4WD
The Following User Says Thank You to 05Moose For This Useful Post:
Billzebub (11-28-2016)
post #175 of 179 Old 11-28-2016, 02:23 PM
GOT SN❄W?

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Murrell View Post
Just FYI on what I did with your new thread and why. Awhile back, AG moved all the threads from all the forums that discussed recalls into a new recall forum. This thread got moved there too. What they didn't do was leave a redirect in the originating forums, so it appeared that all these threads disappeared (except for those of us that were subscribed to it). This morning, I merged Mike's thread with this one, moved it back to the 2nd Gen Tacoma forum for a moment, then moved it back to the Recall forum leaving a permanent redirect in the 2nd Gen Tacoma forum. When someone posts in this thread, it should bring that permanent redirect back to the top of the 2nd Gen Tacoma forum.

2010 Highlander 4WD
post #176 of 179 Old 04-22-2017, 04:02 PM
New TN User

Thos is my o6 Tacoma

One Year Later

post #177 of 179 Old 03-04-2019, 10:11 PM
New TN User

I had the coating in 2014, and they didn't do a very good job preparing it, just spayed over the rust. Surprise, surprise, I now have a rusted through frame (severed in two over the rear axle, both sides). Here in Canada we have 12 years from purchase, or one year from July 2018 to get an inspection. If warranted, they will replace. Since mine is unsafe, Toyota kept it, and is replacing the frame at 271000km or 167000 miles, I'll take it. But as asked (and seldom answered) what else should I have them swap out while all is taken apart?
post #178 of 179 Old 03-07-2019, 06:58 PM
Official TN Member

Toyota replaced my frame last summer after 396,000 km.
I had additional work done while it was apart.
New front springs
upper control arms (original)
Steering rack (leaking very slightly, original)
U joints (original)
New body mounts
Inner and outer tie rods with the rack (original)
Drives like new now. A lot of the vibrations and squeaks it had were the result of the frame being so weak and flexy.

Last edited by blckgnznstuff; 03-11-2019 at 06:04 PM.
post #179 of 179 Old 03-11-2019, 01:45 PM
Gone skiing

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Toyota told me my time is up

Got a letter from Toyota last fall stating my frame recall runs out on the end of January 2019. I should have put a rock salt diaper on it but just couldn't do it. It's a 2007 bought is Sept 2006 with 150K miles. Had the coating put over the frame rust about five years ago and there is little evidence of any left. I had Toyota do a couple of inspections since the coating with no holes found. I do my own inspections now. Surprisingly the frame has held up well for being exposed to mucho New England salt covered roads. There is a lot of surface rust but no holes. It is sometimes garaged and as often as I can I spray the hose underneath to get the salt off. I no longer garage it in the winter because of the serious rust stains it leaves in there. I am committed to go to the end with this truck. I have invested thousands on the clutch, timing chain cover leak, parking brake cables, drive belt pulleys, Stereo system ............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Nation Forums > Toyota Recalls