Taco tailgate...POS - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Tacoma 2nd Generation (2005-2015) Discussion area for the 2nd generation of the Toyota Tacoma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 103 Old 03-03-2006, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Canada Taco tailgate...POS

I know there has been mention on this forum regarding the pathetically weak tailgate on the new Tacos'. I was closing mine yesterday and noticed a small chip of paint missing just under the plastic top-cap of the Tailgate. Upon further investigation, and much to my horror and dismay.....the damn tailgate is friggin' cracked! Its cracked from the rear-side all the way across to the front-side. The crack is located dead-centre, and though some cut-outs along the top that the plastic cap snaps into.

I had previously noted that the tailgate was bowed out a bit the other day...so I pushed it back in using just the heel of my hand and a gentle shove....and thought no more about it.

I own a snowmobile and will state for the record that the rear end of the track rests on the tailgate when under transport. also for the record, the weight of this part of the snowmobile is such that I can easily lift it, AND, its surface area is such that the total lbs. per sq inch is less, by a wide margin, than the weight of an average man standing.

Now what gets me, and I am really pissed about this, how can any mfg. build a truck with a tailgate so weak and flimsy that it will bend, bow and crack with the weight of a man standing on it? How is this possible??? I took my truck to the dealer and showed them the damage, and they know me well there as someone who takes good care of my vehicle. I am worried that Toyota will not honor a warranty for this obvious piece of utter garbage they call a tailgate.

Has anybody else had a similar experience? This issue could be another 'paint-chip' issue that should be corrected by Toyota as an obvious flaw. I'm sure that a simple stiffener could be incorporated into the tailgate to alleviate this condition and demonstrate the usefullness of a Toyota truck.

I strongly suggest that if you have had a similar problem, or your truck's tailgate shows signs of bowing or bending, call the Toyota USA head office and lodge a complaint. When they hear enough complaints, they will have to issue a recall and fix the problem. Another new tailgate like the one we already have is NO SOLUTION. The design is flawed.

Ok, up-date: I just called Toytota Canada and lodged a formal complaint. The person I spoke with agreed that the weight of a man(i'm 170 lbs) should not cause a tailgate to bend and crack. If that were the case, a placard stating the limits should be placed on the tailgate.

So speak out everybody.....I just know that there will be many, if you look, bowing and possibly with cracks hiding under the top protective cap. These tailgates don't have a curve to them when new. C'mon Toyota, you can do better that that!

OK, end of rant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 103 Old 03-03-2006, 01:20 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
thanks for the heads up. I'm about 190lbs and I stand on my tailgate all of the time. hell sometimes my coworker and I stand on it together to load stuff in the bed. He's about 170; 170+190= 360lbs. I better be careful. I'll make sure not to tell toyota about the 360lbs if something goes wrong. I better take a look the next time I'm outside.

On a side note: When I first got my bed extender, it said not to load more than 200lbs on the tailgate alone (I'm pretty sure that was the weight). I thought, shit that isn't that much weight for the tailgate to hold.

Last edited by basshead760; 03-03-2006 at 01:22 PM.
post #3 of 103 Old 03-03-2006, 03:58 PM
Stupid is stupid does

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
yeah they did cheeze out on the tailgate. Im 260 pounds and will not dare jump up from the gound onto the gate

Maybe it can be opened up and reinforced.

295/65/18 Goodyear Duratracs:2.5" lift in the front with 1" rear Block
JBA single exhaust:HID's W/Led's inside:Nfabs
E&G grill insert:ARE Z topper:Overhead DVD for my son:Front DVD for me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 103 Old 03-03-2006, 07:40 PM
Official TN Member

This is just ridiculous!! I'm about ready to trade in my 2004 Dodge Ram for a Taco DC.........but after reading this stuff, I'm really worried. I need a pickup for my motorcycle. For years I have been riding my bike right up a ramp into the back of my pickups. Even my 1989 Hardbody Nissan had no tailgate issues. But if I add up the weight of the ramp, bike, and me, it's around 600 pounds. Although that much weight will only be on gate for a few seconds........it sure sounds like this is going to be a problem. This is just sickening to hear........especially from a Toyota Truck which is supposed to be "Meteor Proof"......what bullshit! I have been driving only GM's for many years now............and I have never had a problem with somthing as simple as a freaken tailgate. I'm starting to reconsider my future plan.

Last edited by ninja727; 03-03-2006 at 07:42 PM.
post #5 of 103 Old 03-03-2006, 08:15 PM
My Other Truck

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Supreme Member
In the fwiw dept.... We looked at many vehicles (cars, trucks, SUVs) before buying what we wanted all along -- a new Tacoma. One other we looked at was the new Nissan Frontier. I am not suggesting the Frontier is a better truck than the Taco (remember -- we got the Taco). It did, however, have a few features I liked, but that's a different topic.

For better or worse, as light and easy to operate as the Taco's tailgate is, the Frontier's is quite the opposite. Though of similar size, it feels very heavy, much more difficult to lift & close -- my wife has medical issues, and she had difficulty with it. Not to say it's any stouter or more durable, but it just may be.

2005 D-Cab O/R 4x4
post #6 of 103 Old 03-03-2006, 08:26 PM
Tennessee Tacoma Pilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have already taken the plastic off the inside of the gate to have a look see and I plan on cutting some wood pieces to fit in between the flimsy pressed metal supports that are exposed when the plastic is removed.

The difficulty as far as I can see is the inability to get one solid piece of bracing lumber between the metal supports and the gate latch rods that run to the ends have to be kept clear to work.

Another thing that buzzed through the head was filling the gap up with that spray foam, Great Stuff, as it is known to add support to the gate. It dries hard but it is still only foam and doesn't have terrific dimenshional strength.

05 TRD, Double Cab V-6 Shorty, Undercover Tonneau, Fuzzy Dice Hanging From Rear View Mirror
post #7 of 103 Old 03-03-2006, 08:33 PM
Stupid is stupid does

The best way I think is for some aftermarket company to sell a replacement tailgate cap that sits on the top. Where the plastic is. Or just replace the plastic with aluminium.

post #8 of 103 Old 03-03-2006, 08:40 PM
Pb
Surfing TN via iPhone

Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotust

Maybe it can be opened up and reinforced.
I've been thinking the same thing. Somebody should take it apart and see if it can be reinforced with something. I might take a look at it later.
post #9 of 103 Old 03-03-2006, 08:43 PM
Toyota Fanboy

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
If Toyota fixes the tailgate under warranty, whats the problem? If you bend it again, take it back again. Its as simple as that.
Even if the warranty runs out and you bend the tailgate again, they have to replace it because it was a condition that was occuring while the vehicle was under warranty.
If the best thing you can find to complain about is that the tailgate is flimsy, you dont have much to complain about. People who own Rangers, Colorados, Dakotas and even Frontiers have much bigger complaints that that.
If worse come to worse, just take the tailgate off and replace it with an aftermaket one or one of those mesh "airgate" ones.
I know the tailgate is flimsy but guess what, you can bend a tailgate on anything. My brother bent the tailgate on his F-250 by stacking too much firewood on it, so dont act like this problem is isolated to Toyotas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmax2007 View Post
Toyota is not any more "special" than every other company the media has targeted in the past.
'16 Toyota Corolla S Plus 6MT
'00 Toyota Celica GT-S 6MT
post #10 of 103 Old 03-03-2006, 08:53 PM
05 Speedwayblue X-runner

A fast fix would be to cut 3/4 "or thicker piece of plywood (8X10)to the shape of the truck bed to the tailgate so that all the wieght will be on the plywood when loading heavy stuff in the bed.
post #11 of 103 Old 03-03-2006, 10:24 PM
Official TN Member

Canada

That's exactly what I did, I have a 3/4" piece of plywood cut just long enough to come to the end of the tailgate. When I load my quad on it, I drive it up the ramps with me on it, (total weight of over 800lbs) and I haven't had any problems yet.
I did notice on the ramps, they have a warning saying not to use the tailgate as any part of the ramp system. All the pictures also show the tailgate off the truck when loading quads in the bed.
post #12 of 103 Old 03-03-2006, 10:24 PM
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane
If worse come to worse, just take the tailgate off and replace it with an aftermaket one or one of those mesh "airgate" ones.
well that would be great, but he said he hauls a snowmobile, which he says is probably the cause of his cracked tailgate, so no tailgate, no hauling the snowmobile because it won't fit in safely.
post #13 of 103 Old 03-04-2006, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane
If Toyota fixes the tailgate under warranty, whats the problem? If you bend it again, take it back again. Its as simple as that.
Even if the warranty runs out and you bend the tailgate again, they have to replace it because it was a condition that was occuring while the vehicle was under warranty.
If the best thing you can find to complain about is that the tailgate is flimsy, you dont have much to complain about. People who own Rangers, Colorados, Dakotas and even Frontiers have much bigger complaints that that.
I know the tailgate is flimsy but guess what, you can bend a tailgate on anything. My brother bent the tailgate on his F-250 by stacking too much firewood on it, so dont act like this problem is isolated to Toyotas.

If you re-read my post, you will see that i mentioned that the weight of the snowmobile spread over the area of its track is LESS than the weight of a man standing on it. sooooo, if you can't stand on it, and its not strong enough to hold you, how are you supposed to climb in and out of it? or load it with anything? or how about explaining the
"bed-extender"? its disigned to extend the useful length of the bed to ......wait for it.......
carry a load on the tailgate.

I recieved a call from Toyota today stating that: "the tailgate is not a structural load carrying component and therefore no warranty." I told him he had better reconsider because I plan on making their life a living hell until they do. I am going to cut&paste the posts in this thread and send them in a flood to Toyota and raise a stink. If it is so flimsy you can't even stand on it...then where is a placard stating that? I have read through the entire owner's manual, and warrany book....no mention whatsoever that you can't use the tailgate to support a load, or stand on it. I read every page in both books. nada, not a peep.

I'll keep everybody posted as to developements as they occur.
post #14 of 103 Old 03-04-2006, 07:35 AM
Stupid is stupid does

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_front
If you re-read my post, you will see that i mentioned that the weight of the snowmobile spread over the area of its track is LESS than the weight of a man standing on it. sooooo, if you can't stand on it, and its not strong enough to hold you, how are you supposed to climb in and out of it? or load it with anything? or how about explaining the
"bed-extender"? its disigned to extend the useful length of the bed to ......wait for it.......
carry a load on the tailgate.

I recieved a call from Toyota today stating that: "the tailgate is not a structural load carrying component and therefore no warranty." I told him he had better reconsider because I plan on making their life a living hell until they do. I am going to cut&paste the posts in this thread and send them in a flood to Toyota and raise a stink. If it is so flimsy you can't even stand on it...then where is a placard stating that? I have read through the entire owner's manual, and warrany book....no mention whatsoever that you can't use the tailgate to support a load, or stand on it. I read every page in both books. nada, not a peep.

I'll keep everybody posted as to developements as they occur.

good luck

post #15 of 103 Old 03-04-2006, 07:40 AM
Official TN Member

Although I believe my Taco is the best truck I've owned ( a life long GM man), I do have two issues, both related to weak structure. All my GM's (six,all bought new) had virtually bullet proof tailgates. I'm 160 lbs and would hesitate to sit on it, let alone drive a bike or snowmobile across it. The other is the fact that the rear suspension hits bottom regularly with nothing in the box while hitting what I would consider relatively mild bumps in the road. My truck is the heaviest of all - DC long box 4wd at 4129 lbs dry weight. This particular model should have stronger rear springs than say an acsess cab 2wd, but I don't believe that's the case. My life long knock on Japanese vehicles has been what I perceive to be a weaker structure than GM Ford or (heaven forbid) Chrysler. I have heard of people adding a 3/4" piece of plywood accross the full width of the tailgate, but this is something that Toyota definitley should address. A real shame, a terrific vehicle, but Toyota seems to think that tailgates are like trunk lids and puts a car rear suspension on trucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > Tacoma 2nd Generation (2005-2015)