Fuel gauge - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Tacoma 2nd Generation (2005-2015) Discussion area for the 2nd generation of the Toyota Tacoma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 06-07-2019, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Fuel gauge

This is my first time posting in a forum so I hope I do this correctly. I just bought a 2005 Toyota Tacoma Crew can 4.0 v6 six speed. And I have discovered the fuel gage does not work part of the time. And once when I started it the tach didn’t work. I’m hoping someone has seen this before or can give me some ideas on we’re to start troubleshooting. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-07-2019, 11:42 PM
T100 Road Warrior...

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Thanked 3,686 Times in 2,916 Posts
Supreme Member
Garage
Wink

Welcome to the forums!

Have you inspected all of yer ground points? It's an easy no cost fix fer most electrical issues.

Are there any significant amounts of rust on the vehicle?

Yer best bet would be to git the electrical wiring diagram (EWD) fer yer vehicle. The Toyota Techinfo website is a good start to download the FSM and EWD fer $20 with a 48 hour access.
https://techinfo.toyota.com

1998 T-100 SR5 2WD auto, Roadmaster Active suspension, dual oil catch jars, AC mod, aero cap, lower aero package, 67% grill block, aero single wheel trailer
post #3 of 4 Old 06-12-2019, 10:52 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Supreme Member
Looking at the drawings, the fuel gauge doesn't rely on a ground, its a pair of wires running from the combo meter (speedo etc) out to the gauge and back.

There are two wires, Orange and Yellow/Black going to the sender. There is a five wire connector, looking into the connector
latch on top

1 2 3
4 5

jumpering 2-3 with key on should give your a full tank on the gauge

Note: do this quick, away from the fuel pump, so things don't go boom. From pin 2 to body ground, with key on, should give 4-7 volts.

IF these fail, you have to check the wiring from the speedo connector to the fuel gauge connector. More later on that.

IF these are ok, problems are with the float in the tank, and again, more later.

Tach bears few ties to the fuel gauge, except through the speedo fuses (1g1 10a & Gauge 7.5a etc). And if those fuses fail, 1/2 the truck should fail.

06 DC LB 4x4 Speedway, TRD Sport w/ Tow, JBL w/ Grom to IPod / Aux / BT, Roof Rack, Weathertech bug deflector & floormats, Access LE tonneau, Clifford 10.5x alarm, Homelink Mirror, Ultra Grinder Wheels, Michelin LTX MS2 tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-12-2019, 10:57 PM
TexasJiminSTX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Two times, my '05 base Taco has had an occurrence of fuel gauge problems. I had a full tank of gas, went fishing, and when I left the dock, and my fuel light was on. I thought someone had siphoned all my gas while I was fishing. I was about four miles from a station, so I headed that way. After about two miles, my gauge started rising. I kept driving, and, slowly, it climbed up to Full. Weird. This has happened one more time, about six months later. Same thing. Still don't have a clue what happened or why. I get the impression that it has something to do with the gauge level "send" signal from the tank to the dash gauge. FYI TexasJim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > Tacoma 2nd Generation (2005-2015)