Bilstein 5100 ? - Page 138 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Tacoma 2nd Generation (2005-2015) Discussion area for the 2nd generation of the Toyota Tacoma

View Poll Results: Which would you be interested in ordering?
2005+ Fronts Only 38 27.34%
2005+ Fronts & Rears 89 64.03%
'96-'04 Fronts Only 2 1.44%
'96-'04 Fronts and Rears 10 7.19%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #2056 of 2059 Old 04-06-2019, 07:51 AM
Go Cubs!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Moose View Post
Itís a crap shoot. Iím not sure of the actual percentage that had the issue. One really canít glean those types of stats from a forum. I think itís safe to say that it will eventually happen when lifted. Keep in mind I replaced the bearing once with a Toyota bearing (same defective part) before anyone had a fix and that bearing lasted 104K miles with the 5100s set at 1.75. Some people lifted without issues. But Iíd rather someone know the possibility going into it. Is the dealership installing your 5100s? If so, maybe see how much they would charge you to install the upgraded Toyota bearing (if they wonít install the ECGS bushing) during the frame swap.

So after reading up more on this subject (tacomaworld, which you greatly contribute to, thanks) I am rethinking what I should do. With the frame swap I'm wondering if it is easier on my budget too replace the whole parts in the front that are affected. Do the new parts have an updated bushing? Would this be easier than just doing the bushing? What parts would I need? Thanks for any input 05moose!

2007 Dbl Cab LB 4X4 Indigo Ink
TRD Sports Pkg #2, Tow Pkg, OEM Running Boards, Bed Mat, Tonno Pro Tri-Fold, Wet Okole Seat Covers, DRL Mod, Fog Lamp Mod, Cig Lighter Always On Mod, Louder Horn Mod, Fumoto Oil Valve, Blitzsafe iPod Interface, Lund Interceptor II, Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2057 of 2059 Old 04-06-2019, 08:03 AM
GOT SN❄W?

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,742 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenilson View Post
So after reading up more on this subject (tacomaworld, which you greatly contribute to, thanks) I am rethinking what I should do. With the frame swap I'm wondering if it is easier on my budget too replace the whole parts in the front that are affected. Do the new parts have an updated bushing? Would this be easier than just doing the bushing? What parts would I need? Thanks for any input 05moose!

Have you asked the dealership the cost of swapping out their old bearing with the updated Toyota part while they have the vehicle apart? In the frame swap time lapse videos, they are already pulling out the CV Axles, so itís literally a 5 minute job to replace the bearing (they should already be replacing the seal if pulling the axle as part of the swap). I doubt theyíd install the ECGS bushing since itís a non Toyota part, but the upgraded OEM part should be a no brainer for them. The dealerships have been offering to replace needed parts during the frame swap for reduced labor cost since everything is already easily accessed.

'05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s, 12/3/04
2010 Highlander 4WD
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
The Following User Says Thank You to 05Moose For This Useful Post:
mikenilson (04-06-2019)
post #2058 of 2059 Old 04-06-2019, 07:40 PM
Go Cubs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Moose View Post
Have you asked the dealership the cost of swapping out their old bearing with the updated Toyota part while they have the vehicle apart? In the frame swap time lapse videos, they are already pulling out the CV Axles, so itís literally a 5 minute job to replace the bearing (they should already be replacing the seal if pulling the axle as part of the swap). I doubt theyíd install the ECGS bushing since itís a non Toyota part, but the upgraded OEM part should be a no brainer for them. The dealerships have been offering to replace needed parts during the frame swap for reduced labor cost since everything is already easily accessed.

After watching one of the videos I see what you mean. I will definitely ask them. Again Thanks for all your help in this matter!

TRD Sports Pkg #2, Tow Pkg, OEM Running Boards, Bed Mat, Tonno Pro Tri-Fold, Wet Okole Seat Covers, DRL Mod, Fog Lamp Mod, Cig Lighter Always On Mod, Louder Horn Mod, Fumoto Oil Valve, Blitzsafe iPod Interface, Lund Interceptor II, Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2059 of 2059 Old 05-10-2019, 01:58 PM
Go Cubs!

So the dealer is working on my truck right now and told me that they have to charge me 3 hours labor to take off and compress the old springs off the old struts to put on the new 5100 struts. $135 an hour. Sounds excessive! Anybody have an idea of how long that should really take? To clarify they have to take off the old assemblies and reinstall them for free per the Frame Rust Recall so the only labor should be to compress the springs on the new struts.

Last edited by mikenilson; 05-10-2019 at 02:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > Tacoma 2nd Generation (2005-2015)