Bilstein 5100 ? - Page 3 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Tacoma 2nd Generation (2005-2015) Discussion area for the 2nd generation of the Toyota Tacoma

View Poll Results: Which would you be interested in ordering?
2005+ Fronts Only 38 27.34%
2005+ Fronts & Rears 89 64.03%
'96-'04 Fronts Only 2 1.44%
'96-'04 Fronts and Rears 10 7.19%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 2059 Old 03-10-2007, 11:23 AM
Toyotanation

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05SCtaco
hope this stops the bickering, as i said i talked to bilstein and wheelers. The shocks are the same 5100 offered on the bilstein website the only difference is the model number, since those shocks are made for the aftermarket company that is selling them. i.e. same 5100 shock just renamed so the company can have some credit, lots of people so this stuff. Buy from the wholesale and repackage them with their company logo even though it's the same product offered elsewhere. Like your coffee beans, smaller company buy wholesale beans that have been already roasted and repackage them with there logo for resale. Anyways. The shocks should work with the stock springs, but i'm going with the 885, because there longer, and it's not like i can't adjust the spring on each front shock, plus i take it if one side sags, i'll just raise that side. tech the front setup with the 885 i added wrong, should be from a 0-5.25inch lift since the shocks are already 1inch longer then the stock ones. given that the new shocks are adjustable from 0-2.5 and the springs are 1.75inch so thats 1+4.25inch =5.25inch of front lift at max. and if i have one side 2.5 and the sag side 3.5 i'll still be set level and no need for top spacers.

Hope this helps everyone out, i didn't think anyone cared But it looks like people do Hopefully my stuff arrives nextweek and i'll have 2 days to wrench on my truck. I've been looking for this for a long time, and just been really hesitant about getting ome shocks, yellow is such an ugly color for them. I'll be sure to take pictures of the install too since i know everyone would want to see it.
I don't think anyone here was "Bickering" We were all trying to clear the confusion of mis-information!! Of what the Bilstein website listed and the Ebay auction.
I'm not sure about you? but I personally do not like going through the PIA of ordering the wrong parts!! So clarification is the best way to avoid that.

Thanks for the info of the part #!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 2059 Old 03-10-2007, 12:14 PM
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
No dude I am not trying to bicker either, this forum is a great place for information. It was just funny how that came out. It is kind of hard to see where people are coming from sometimes when you all you have is text to read. I was just joking around. This is a very helpful topic to a lot of us. I am going to get some allied spindles in a couple weeks, and if they do not provide enough lift to run 295/75/16 tires then I am going to get a set of those bilsteins. I am sure the tires will clear though. I am however going to run them in the rear with my deavers. They look better than the DR at a fraction of the cost. Not to mention you don't have to drill holes in your frame to mount a reservoir with the bilsteins.
post #33 of 2059 Old 03-10-2007, 12:18 PM
Official TN Member

Oh yeah toku, I like your truck. How does it ride with those 885s compared to stock. Everyone raves about Donahoe coilovers, but I had a set on my 06' for about 2 months and they rode like crap. Very stiff when you go to 2.5 inches. Not what you would expect from a coilover. I had OME on my 2002 taco and it rode smoother than stock, plus it took big dips like a champ. I was wondering if the performance from OME is similar to how it was on the older models.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 2059 Old 03-10-2007, 12:25 PM
2012/14 Stanley Cup Champ

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Does anybody have a pic of the shocks installed with coil-overs?

The pics on the front page are now stale, nothing to see.

Thanks

2006 4x4 Access, V6, 6spd, TRD Off-Road, tow pkg. Donahoe Co's, TC UCA's, Dakar leafs, 5125's in the back and u-bolt flip kit. TRD exhaust, CAI. URD MAF calibrator. 17x9's, 285/70/17 BFG MT KM2. Locker-mod, fog mod and console vault.
post #35 of 2059 Old 03-10-2007, 12:54 PM
Official TN Member

https://www.toyotanation.com/photos/s...o/7885/cat/510

Its not letting you post the pic for some reason , so just click link.
post #36 of 2059 Old 03-10-2007, 02:30 PM
Toyotanation

Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCityTaco
Oh yeah toku, I like your truck. How does it ride with those 885s compared to stock. Everyone raves about Donahoe coilovers, but I had a set on my 06' for about 2 months and they rode like crap. Very stiff when you go to 2.5 inches. Not what you would expect from a coilover. I had OME on my 2002 taco and it rode smoother than stock, plus it took big dips like a champ. I was wondering if the performance from OME is similar to how it was on the older models.
I live the 885's a bit stiffer than the stock but necessary IMO because of the extra height. I thinking the 5100 are the way I'm going also.
The DR's are good but I don't think I would really make good use of that set-up. So for me since I already have the 885's and I am happy with the ride. The 5100 looks like it would fit the bill!!

post #37 of 2059 Old 03-10-2007, 02:56 PM
Senior TN Member

This is the pic of the 5100 and stock thanks to racer1x's post, i'm sorry i didn't tell you guys what i'm running in the rear because i'm still waiting on the dakar group buy for the leaf pack. so it's 5100 all around with OME 885 springs, and dakar leaf packs in the rear. I would have done the OME 885 lift with toytec, but i had a few options to go, I pm the DR coilovers for sale for 700 but no response, and then was gona do the OME, untill i stumbled upto the ebay thread. Started searching like crazy, and called up bilstein and wheelers to check parts and part #s. On the ebay option you can make an offer i made it for $265, and it was accepted but since it's in cali, i paid tax. Thats a lil over 65 bucks a shock without tax, and such a great deal. i was really worried about the life of the OEM bilsteins with the 885 and toyotec spacer since i know that'll overextend the shock and wear it down longer.
post #38 of 2059 Old 03-10-2007, 07:19 PM
Official TN Member

So 05SCtaco, you are running the 5100s with OME 885 coils? What perch are you running the bilsteins at? I assume the lowest perch? I wonder how they ride using the OEM coils.
post #39 of 2059 Old 03-11-2007, 02:35 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCityTaco
So 05SCtaco, you are running the 5100s with OME 885 coils? What perch are you running the bilsteins at? I assume the lowest perch? I wonder how they ride using the OEM coils.
Nobody else running these with stock springs?? I guess I'll have to order some and be the guinea pig.
post #40 of 2059 Old 03-11-2007, 03:14 PM
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Here ya go.

Stock springs with 5100's front and rear, Alcan Add A Leaf in the rear.

Took the shell off this weekend. Rides better with the additional weight of the shell, but still very nice.

I am running a 285/60/18 Geolander HT/S on the TRD-BBS wheels.

It is a really nice setup and reasonably affordable.
[IMG][/IMG]
post #41 of 2059 Old 03-11-2007, 03:37 PM
Official TN Member

Looks good

What level do you have the clip on?? Full preload
post #42 of 2059 Old 03-11-2007, 04:10 PM
New TN User

It is on the top groove
post #43 of 2059 Old 03-11-2007, 06:05 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer1x
Nobody else running these with stock springs?? I guess I'll have to order some and be the guinea pig.
I would still like a second guinea pig.

I think am going to try these with the stock coils to just level out front end. I am going to wait until I get new tires though, which will be at the end of the summer. (I hate my dunlops, but I am hearting for cash right now. But, by the end of the summer I won't have a choice - they will be dead!)

Thanks for the pic workitjr!
post #44 of 2059 Old 03-12-2007, 09:18 PM
Gil

Billstein 5100s question

I could use a little advice. I am thinking about installing the 5100s to both raise the front about 2 inches to level the truck, as well as improve the ride overall.

Is this a relatively easy do yourself (standard tools) install using the stock coils? I have hydrolic jacks, ramps and such.

Is this likely to introduce or increase drivetrain vibration (I already have a little on take-off)?

Is a front end alignment required?

I know the vibration issue is a tough question, btu any experiences will help.

Thanks
Gil
post #45 of 2059 Old 03-12-2007, 10:01 PM
Official TN Member

Check ou this thread it goes into some detail https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t182621.html

Its pretty easy to do the swap, the only special tool you need for the front struts is a spring compressor. You can rent one or go to an auto parts store and have them do it. Installation is a peice of cake for the rear also. I just ordered some and will post the results once I get them installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > Tacoma 2nd Generation (2005-2015)