So you want to add a DRL On/Off switch?... Well, here you go! - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Tacoma 2nd Generation (2005-2015) Discussion area for the 2nd generation of the Toyota Tacoma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 12-08-2007, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
So you want to add a DRL On/Off switch?... Well, here you go!

This mod adds an on/off switch to the "factory" DRL (Driving Running Lights) - For those with the "stock/factory" DRL option, or those that applied the "Factory DRL mod" as described in this DIY: https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t176420.html

In case you're worried, this mod does not affect the "Turn Signal" or "Hazard" lights - Everything will function as expected, and you'll simply have a way to disable/enable DRL on demand, with an On/Off switch.

It was actually simpler than I expected... As shown below, all you have to do is interrupt the DRL signal, which is on the "Light-Green & Red" wire of the DRL harness (harness with 2 plugs on it - Part #82241-04030), which is connected to the DRL-capable relay (Part #81980-35020). Refer to the DIY mentioned above for suplementary installation instructions.

I hope you like this mod as much as I do.
HookEm

P.S.
I used an illuminated "Fog Light" switch, installed on one of the unused in-dash slots.
The two OEM-switch options I can suggest are:
1) Older Tacoma switch: Part#00550-35976 ($6.98)
http://www.rallylights.com/hella/swi...ted_rocker.asp

2) 05+ Tacoma switch: you'll need 3 part #'s:
Fog Light Switch - #84160-04010 ($35.88)
Connector Housing - #90980-11090 ($2.63)
Wires for Connector - #82998-12340 ($4.04)
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=213747

Last edited by HookEm; 12-12-2007 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Corrections about illuminating switch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 12-08-2007, 08:56 PM
TacoBruiser

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Thank You, I will be doing that this week!
post #3 of 21 Old 12-08-2007, 09:51 PM
Toyotanation

Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Great job!
I will be adding this to the DIY sticky!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 12-08-2007, 10:31 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Already done but thanks for the pic's. I intercepted the wire at the turn signal relay (black box shown in your pic) so I did not have to pull the whole assembly from the truck (unless you just did it for the pic's). I really like this mod.

P.S. Same gig for my wife's 07 4runner, FYI
post #5 of 21 Old 12-08-2007, 10:41 PM
Toyotanation

Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd1 View Post
Already done but thanks for the pic's. I intercepted the wire at the turn signal relay (black box shown in your pic) so I did not have to pull the whole assembly from the truck (unless you just did it for the pic's). I really like this mod.

P.S. Same gig for my wife's 07 4runner, FYI
The picture is from my install. So he didn't take apart his entire system.

ADDED TO DIY!
Now you're famous!

post #6 of 21 Old 12-09-2007, 08:51 AM
Senior TN Member

Maybe it's the lack of sleep, but what exactly does this mod do? Does it turn off the DRLs (essentially undoing the mod) so they act like a non-DRL configuration?

Guess I'm trying to figure out why you'd do the DRL mod only to do another mod to disable it....

It was faster and easer for me to do the 3rd wire mod and leave the headlight knob in the same position all the time. Just need to occasionally back it down one notch after I actually use the headlights, which is probably as often as one would use this switch.

^sig by me!
Toytec 3" lift & AAL, 285/75r16 Kumho Road Venture
DTRL, Fog Light, locker, & diff breather mods, Bestop Supertop, Hi-Lift mount, hood struts, reinforced tailgate, BHLM, ABS kill switch, bed lights, rock lights
post #7 of 21 Old 12-09-2007, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
I'll try to explain...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiercedTiger View Post
Maybe it's the lack of sleep, but what exactly does this mod do? Does it turn off the DRLs (essentially undoing the mod) so they act like a non-DRL configuration?

Guess I'm trying to figure out why you'd do the DRL mod only to do another mod to disable it....
As I said in my post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookEm View Post
This mod adds an on/off switch to the "factory" DRL (Driving Running Lights) - For those with the "stock/factory" DRL option, or those that applied the "Factory DRL mod" as described in this DIY: https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t176420.html

In case you're worried, this mod does not affect the "Turn Signal" or "Hazard" lights - Everything will function as expected, and you'll simply have a way to disable/enable DRL with an On/Off switch."
Here's the issue I'm trying to address with my mod: Factory DRLs can not be turned OFF, so my mod provides a mechanism to allow you to disable & enable DRL on demand: by using an On/Off switch. That is: If the switch is OFF, the vehicle will operate as if DRL are not installed; if the switch is ON, the vehicle will operate as if DRL are installed... This assumes, of course, that for those that have DRL installed, there may be instances where you would like to turned them OFF for a while (e.g., off-roading during the day), and perhaps back ON at later time.

How's that?
HookEm

Last edited by HookEm; 12-09-2007 at 12:07 PM.
post #8 of 21 Old 12-09-2007, 12:23 PM
Senior TN Member

Ok I gathered that much.... Why make a switch to turn them off after going to the trouble of ADDING them to the truck? It's like adding them to my car so I can cut the wire, splice in a switch, and make it just like it was before all the work to add it....

^sig by me!
DTRL, Fog Light, locker, & diff breather mods, Bestop Supertop, Hi-Lift mount, hood struts, reinforced tailgate, BHLM, ABS kill switch, bed lights, rock lights
post #9 of 21 Old 12-09-2007, 12:33 PM
Never Roam Alone

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
incase you want to be sneaky, and you dont want people to see.

3" lift, 885 coils, AAL, 2 kicker CVRs,OME shocks and struts, K&N CAI, TC UCAs, BHLM
Cardomain

"2wd will get you stuck, 4wd will just get you into deeper shit"
post #10 of 21 Old 12-09-2007, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
I'll try to explain again...

Quote:
Ok I gathered that much.... Why make a switch to turn them off after going to the trouble of ADDING them to the truck? It's like adding them to my car so I can cut the wire, splice in a switch, and make it just like it was before all the work to add it....
The point is that you may want to turn DRL off just momentarily (like while off-roading on Sunday morning)... Of course, if you're satisfied with all-time DRL, then this mods is not for you.

HookEm

Last edited by HookEm; 12-09-2007 at 12:44 PM.
post #11 of 21 Old 12-09-2007, 12:43 PM
Senior TN Member

Funny, I got more or less the same effect with 2 wires, and didn't need to add another switch. So they come on with the key rather than ebrake, and don't turn off with the headlights.... I like how the look on all the time, and didn't have to wire up a switch to cancel out what I spent $50 and an hour to do...

Oh, and I can turn them on or off whenever because Toyota conveniently included a switch for them.

Mine:

^sig by me!
post #12 of 21 Old 12-09-2007, 12:48 PM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookEm View Post
The point is that you may want to turn DRL off just momentarily (like while off-roading on Sunday morning)... Of course, if you're satisfied with all-time DRL, then this mods is not for you.

HookEm
I can understand turning them off. Hell, I know why I disable the damn system on my car... I just don't understand spending $50 for a flasher or relay or whatever you had to add to get this functionality, realize you want to turn it off, and then have to tear things apart again to splice in a switch. I got the same visual effect use 2 wires I had laying in my tool box for free and just 5-10 minutes max plugging in the wires.

But to each his own I suppose.... Just seems counter productive to do a mod, then another mod to cancel out the first one. But then I hate having to redo things.

^sig by me!

Last edited by PiercedTiger; 12-09-2007 at 12:50 PM.
post #13 of 21 Old 12-09-2007, 12:52 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
I can understand turning them off. Hell, I know why I disable the damn system on my car... I just don't understand spending $50 for a flasher or relay or whatever you had to add to get this functionality, realize you want to turn it off, and then have to tear things apart again to splice in a switch. I got the same visual effect use 2 wires I had laying in my tool box for free and just 5-10 minutes max plugging in the wires.

But to each his own I suppose.... Just seems counter productive to do a mod, then another mod to cancel out the first one. But then I hate having to redo things.
Another thought.............

When I bought my truck, they were already installed (either at the port or the dealer), the dealer would remove them for the sale. Yes, I use them, but there are sometimes that I want them off.
post #14 of 21 Old 12-09-2007, 12:57 PM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd1 View Post
Another thought.............

When I bought my truck, they were already installed (either at the port or the dealer), the dealer would remove them for the sale. Yes, I use them, but there are sometimes that I want them off.

That's fine. Just cracks up about the other people intentionally doing this then being like "oh crap... I can't turn them off now.... now what?!?" and then doing the switch. Like the term "DRL" didn't already imply that they come on automatically whether you want them to or not.

^sig by me!
post #15 of 21 Old 12-09-2007, 01:04 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
I just don't understand spending $50 for a flasher or relay or whatever you had to add to get this functionality, realize you want to turn it off, and then have to tear things apart again to splice in a switch.
Either I'm missing something, or I think you're missing the point. YOU might have spent $50 and an hour for your truck to have DTRL, but not everyone else did. Some people had it COME that way from the factory, and they want to be able to turn it off, but not permanently. Or, if they're adding it they might want to be able to have it only on demand anyway. I know if I got around to enabling DTRL on my truck, I'd want a kill switch for it and I'd install it that way the first time. It's no different than adding a switch to the TPMS system vs cutting the wire (except it's a little more involved to add the system to an 05, and it's not an option on 06+).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > Tacoma 2nd Generation (2005-2015)