08 A/C air door actuator/servo problem - Page 2 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Tacoma 2nd Generation (2005-2015) Discussion area for the 2nd generation of the Toyota Tacoma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 49 Old 05-04-2013, 09:52 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Retion, yea I figured it was No. 1. I just did mine and the number rang a bell. Are you good to go now or do you want me to do something else for you?

BTW, open that sucker up and see how cheaply built those servos are inside. Frail plastic gears and metal pins in shallow plastic guides. The current dealer price for it here is $175+tax.

Glad you got to it in time. Guess what happens when the plastic drive limiting piece that is supposed to stop the motor breaks inside on that No. 1 servo? The motor drive keeps going and it breaks off the cam pin or arm on that flap of the HVAC unit. The only way to fix it is to tear out the whole dash and tear apart the entire HVAC unit, which you need to remove the windshield wiper motor and arms, and remove the coolant hoses, and the steering wheel and column and a bunch of other stuff. The only thing left in tact is the accelerator pedal, brake pedal and clutch pedal if you have one.

But I'll bet it saved $0.25 per vehicle by not putting a replaceable arm piece on that one flap like the ones on the other six....

Last edited by Taco'09; 05-04-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 49 Old 05-04-2013, 10:18 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hah yeah, I was mostly curious if there was a part # available online but I think I'm going to attempt to fix it myself. This post with the pictures is the exact same thing that happened to mine and he fixed it with a screw, I might attempt that before spending $200.

https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/61...ms-heater.html
post #18 of 49 Old 05-04-2013, 10:37 PM
Senior TN Member

Yea, give it a shot an see what happens.

Make sure you dry run the servo using the temp. dial turning it cold>>>hot>>>cold a few of times to make sure the motor does not drive it too far before screwing it back on to the cam mount. That servo is the most critical of the three meaning it has the least room for costly mistakes.

I farmed the deep discounters of OEM parts and at the time I bought mine I think I paid $113 or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 49 Old 10-14-2013, 04:59 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Guys,
I've got the similar thing going on with my 2008 Tundra TRD. Do any of you know if any of the SMP or AC parts will cross reference to the TRD?

Thanks,
Old Man Doug
Nebraska
post #20 of 49 Old 08-23-2014, 07:32 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would love the pictures of the servo motor you replaced. Thank you. [email protected]
post #21 of 49 Old 02-05-2015, 09:17 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
This is also a problem on my 2006 Tacoma but how in the world do you get it loose??? No room to maneuver...............
post #22 of 49 Old 02-05-2015, 10:24 AM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecampvet View Post
This is also a problem on my 2006 Tacoma but how in the world do you get it loose??? No room to maneuver...............
First of all welcome to TN!

Its doable but your best bet is to first remove the glove box. The screw heads that attach the servos are 5/32" (7mm) hex. IMO it works best to use a very small 1/4" drive ratchet with short extensions if needed.

And oh, if you remove the glove box pay attention to which hole in the damper is used. The damper will go back on easier by using a bent paper clip. Extend the damper, put bent clip in slot arm found on damper arm, attach damper, remove clip.

Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to Taco'09 For This Useful Post:
TurDonor (02-06-2015)
post #23 of 49 Old 02-05-2015, 02:35 PM
New TN User

Thanks! I have only been a member for a little while but like what someone else said, 'I have learned so much!' I will let you know how it goes.
post #24 of 49 Old 02-06-2015, 03:35 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco'09 View Post
And oh, if you remove the glove box pay attention to which hole in the damper is used. The damper will go back on easier by using a bent paper clip. Extend the damper, put bent clip in slot arm found on damper arm, attach damper, remove clip.
After 9 years I finally learn how to do this! Cool.
post #25 of 49 Old 02-08-2015, 02:36 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Anybody got the AC delco part number for the Blend door as shown?

post #26 of 49 Old 02-09-2015, 03:24 PM
New TN User

The nearly- inaccessible screws are 7/32 and I have already dropped the socket down into the heating system where it is going to stay forever. I got the easier of the two screws out about 2-3 turns and the wiring harness removed. Looking for another way to access the topmost screw. I am 85 miles away from a new socket, 170 'round trip, so it will have to wait!
post #27 of 49 Old 02-09-2015, 07:09 PM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
The nearly- inaccessible screws are 7/32 and I have already dropped the socket down into the heating system where it is going to stay forever. I got the easier of the two screws out about 2-3 turns and the wiring harness removed. Looking for another way to access the topmost screw. I am 85 miles away from a new socket, 170 'round trip, so it will have to wait!
Oops! Since I goofed the size send me a PM with your address and I'll just send you a 7/32", 1/4" drive if you are in the lower 48. I'll also check the manual and send along the procedure if I see anything that may help.

I've been into that system several times and I can't think of where you would have dropped the thing to make it disappear. Can you post a pic or two and between all of us here we should be able to figure out something to help get the servo.
post #28 of 49 Old 02-10-2015, 04:04 PM
New TN User

Thank you very much but you don't have to send me the tools! I will be putting u a post soon with the photos requested. There is a slot of some type below the actuator motor that swallows up small sockets and not even my magnet probe could retrieve it. Next timeI will simply cover up the area with a red rag and no more problem. My area is very remote (Big Bend National Park, TX.) and when you run out of something you learn to do without until the next trip to town. I also suspect that you folks that post here are a lot more mechanically inclined than me. Thanks much!
post #29 of 49 Old 02-10-2015, 07:12 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Supreme Member
Quote:
(Big Bend National Park, TX.)
Wow.

Awesome photos on the web of that place. Bummer you have to call it home. Slight trade off for waiting for the next trip to town.

06 DC LB 4x4 Speedway, TRD Sport w/ Tow, JBL w/ Grom to IPod / Aux / BT, Roof Rack, Weathertech bug deflector & floormats, Access LE tonneau, Clifford 10.5x alarm, Homelink Mirror, Ultra Grinder Wheels, Michelin LTX MS2 tires
post #30 of 49 Old 11-21-2015, 03:49 PM
New TN User

How in the devil did you get this part out of there? You must have smaller hands than me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > Tacoma 2nd Generation (2005-2015)