Towing with highlander hybrid - Page 8 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Highlander Hybrid The first hybrid SUV from Toyota, the Highlander Hybrid!

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #106 of 202 Old 10-23-2015, 03:18 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimonp View Post
Hi, I went through previous posts about towing with HL HI and I am slightly confused, so need additional info. I have a small boat (about 1750lbs with trailer) Sales person at Toyota dealership said they are warned during training against using hybrids for towing because of the potential battery issues. Toyota itself said she cannot provide this info (?!) when directly asked this very question. I see, however, that quite a few people do tow something with hybrid. My problem is that 90% of the time I drive in the city and hybrid seems natural choice. However, if I will have problems over weekends with towing my boat, I would rather stay with regular gas model than risk getting stuck on the ramp with my boat and hybrid. Is there anybody out there who has hybrid and about same size of the boat? Any comments/suggestions/ideas? Model 2016 comes with standard tow package (or so they claim, not sure if Canadian version will have that) Will it include weight distribution hitch or a regular one?

Thank you for your reply,

Shimon

Do NOT buy this vehicle from anyone who cannot explain the specs. Go to another dealer. Highlander Hybrid will tow 3500lbs. Toyota.ca will help you if this salesperson cannot. Toyota would not sell a hitch for this if they cannot tow. Your salesperson is ill informed if that is what she said (no other hybrid can tow but this is a Highlander). Here's a Toyota link to the towing capacity (and more)

http://www.toyota.ca/toyota/en/vehic...ybrid/overview

Link to the accessory hitch:

http://www.toyota.ca/toyota/en/vehic...ng/accessories
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 202 Old 10-23-2015, 03:43 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
So, gas model is the only real option for boaters

Thank you, guys! My sales person is very knowledgeable and the first reply does make sense to me and simply confirms what I suspected might be true. Ramp with 2000lbs trailer behind will simply shutdown electric engine. I assume they test 3500lbs downhill. The fact Toyota itself officially declined to comment on my request was the prime reason I posted my message here. I strongly suspect fishy specs of hybrid model with regards to towing capabilities. This leaves me with option to purchase regular gas model (and that's what I had before and was quite happy with it except for mileage and gas consumption) Would be nice to get few more reply from owners of hybrid who tried to tow boat (notice, boat is special as you have to tow it down and up the ramp, which is quite stressful exercise for the car) I assume it's less an issue for the horizontal towing on the paved road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmehes View Post
Do NOT buy this vehicle from anyone who cannot explain the specs. Go to another dealer. Highlander Hybrid will tow 3500lbs. Toyota.ca will help you if this salesperson cannot. Toyota would not sell a hitch for this if they cannot tow. Your salesperson is ill informed if that is what she said (no other hybrid can tow but this is a Highlander). Here's a Toyota link to the towing capacity (and more)

http://www.toyota.ca/toyota/en/vehic...ybrid/overview

Link to the accessory hitch:

http://www.toyota.ca/toyota/en/vehic...ng/accessories
post #108 of 202 Old 10-23-2015, 04:14 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimonp View Post
Thank you, guys! My sales person is very knowledgeable and the first reply does make sense to me and simply confirms what I suspected might be true. Ramp with 2000lbs trailer behind will simply shutdown electric engine. I assume they test 3500lbs downhill. The fact Toyota itself officially declined to comment on my request was the prime reason I posted my message here. I strongly suspect fishy specs of hybrid model with regards to towing capabilities. This leaves me with option to purchase regular gas model (and that's what I had before and was quite happy with it except for mileage and gas consumption) Would be nice to get few more reply from owners of hybrid who tried to tow boat (notice, boat is special as you have to tow it down and up the ramp, which is quite stressful exercise for the car) I assume it's less an issue for the horizontal towing on the paved road.
Did you read either reply? Did you click on the links? I think your conclusions are not supported by reality. All of this seems very vague/trolling? How did you suspect that they could only tow 3500 lbs downhill? What request did you make to toyota....feel free to show a screenshot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #109 of 202 Old 10-23-2015, 09:26 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Still not convinced

First of all, here is wonderful reply of toyota (full quote) for my question about towing capabilities of HIHY2016 of 18' fishing boat:
---
[email protected]
12:55 PM (9 hours ago)

to me
Thank you for your recent correspondence.

While a launch date for the 2016 Highlander and Highlander Hybrid has not yet been announced, you can request that the Sales department at the Toyota dealership of your choice contact you with any information concerning the 2016 Highlander and Highlander Hybrid the moment it becomes available. We also suggest visiting our website www.toyota.ca from time to time; the website is updated as the information becomes available.

Although we are unable to provide the information that you have requested, we thank you for taking the time to write.

Your interest in Toyota is truly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Hiyem Zabian
Customer Interaction Centre
Toyota Canada Inc.
---
Secondly, I did read each and every response and clicked *every* link you posted. Still not convinced. I guess I need to correct myself - I do not doubt capability of highlander hybrid to haul my boat. We don't have many mountains in Ontario. I am mostly concerned about infrequent boat launch and retrieve. If what the first poster said about shutting down the electric engine is true, then it will be absolute nightmare when one is trying to pull the boat from the water. Disconnection of the trailer is not even an option. I was hoping that at least 2-3 people with boats about same size confirmed that during last 2-3 years of towing with hihy there was not a problem of retrieving the boat from the water and engine disconnection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmehes View Post
Did you read either reply? Did you click on the links? I think your conclusions are not supported by reality. All of this seems very vague/trolling? How did you suspect that they could only tow 3500 lbs downhill? What request did you make to toyota....feel free to show a screenshot.
post #110 of 202 Old 10-24-2015, 01:18 AM
Resident Nutcase

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Thanked 1,878 Times in 1,477 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
I've known several over the years who haul with hybrids and were fine. Highest weight I saw was a Uhaul 6x12 (empty weight ~2klb) with lots of appliances in it so likely near the 3.5k rating. He didn't have any issues.

As for those posts about having to disconnect the trailer....yeah...I've never heard anything like that. Either the motors were overheating or....I don't know. I wouldn't expect any issues like that.

The reason Toyota blew off your Q was because you asked them about the non-released/no info '16 model. 95% probability it will be the exact same as the '14 and '15 which is based around the 2GR-FXE. If you want an official answer, ask about those years.

Simply put, it has a 3.5k rating, stay under and your fine. And you'll never find a situation where a HL is going to have problems starting a boat up the ramp from lack of power, main limitation is lack of traction. I can get 5.5k trailers started up very steep grades (was steeper than any boat ramp I've pulled up) easily with my FWD, however I can't go faster than say 15-20mph as I'll spin the tires in first trying to speed up and 2nd doesn't have the power at that speed to pull it. As the hybrid has more power (particularly low end torque) than the gas models, your fine.

List of Mods ---->>> 2008 FWD Highlander Limited
The Following User Says Thank You to sweeneyp For This Useful Post:
nmehes (10-24-2015)
post #111 of 202 Old 10-24-2015, 08:50 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeneyp View Post

The reason Toyota blew off your Q was because you asked them about the non-released/no info '16 model. 95% probability it will be the exact same as the '14 and '15 which is based around the 2GR-FXE. If you want an official answer, ask about those years.

Simply put, it has a 3.5k rating, stay under and your fine. And you'll never find a situation where a HL is going to have problems starting a boat up the ramp from lack of power, main limitation is lack of traction. I can get 5.5k trailers started up very steep grades (was steeper than any boat ramp I've pulled up) easily with my FWD, however I can't go faster than say 15-20mph as I'll spin the tires in first trying to speed up and 2nd doesn't have the power at that speed to pull it. As the hybrid has more power (particularly low end torque) than the gas models, your fine.

Better than I could have said it.
post #112 of 202 Old 10-24-2015, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Now I am really curious how this develops. As I have HiHy with tow package and sold my Ridgeline, with good faith that I'll be able to tow my small utility trailer. Usually, about a yard of dirt, or rocks, which is right below 2 000 lb load.
Hmmm

http://www.trucktrend.com/truck-revi...lander-hybrid/

Oh wow! You just need to ask at the right forum....

http://www.greenhybrid.com/forums/f3...ghlander-8765/

post #113 of 202 Old 10-24-2015, 07:01 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I seem to remember the early Highlander Hybrids had issues in snow where the system would just shut down when it sensed wheel spin. Maybe some of the above stems from that but doesn't apply to the newer models.

2012 TCH XLE-77,000 miles
2015 Volvo V60
2005 Odyssey
1970 Camaro-original owner
post #114 of 202 Old 10-25-2015, 11:06 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Many of us on the Lexus forums feel the trade off of potential hybrid sytem failure is not worth the towing. One gentleman towed a 3000lb trailer for 2000 miles. Everything went well, but afterwards he had issues with the hybrid system. Since an inverter could cost up to $7k in repairs, I personally would not tow. Good luck

Lexus RX400h & 2006 Solara Convertable
Master of everything
Borders, Language, Culture
post #115 of 202 Old 11-01-2015, 08:17 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I have a 014 Hybrid. I have been towing a 17' boat/trailer (2400 lbs) up and down the coast which has some fairly steep terrain with no problems. Common sense has to prevail when towing with any vehicle. Obviously I do not dunk my hybrid into the ocean when launching/retrieving nor would I do that with any tow vehicle.

post #116 of 202 Old 11-01-2015, 08:20 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenore View Post
Many of us on the Lexus forums feel the trade off of potential hybrid sytem failure is not worth the towing. One gentleman towed a 3000lb trailer for 2000 miles. Everything went well, but afterwards he had issues with the hybrid system. Since an inverter could cost up to $7k in repairs, I personally would not tow. Good luck

Correct me if I'm wrong but your RX has a 4 cylinder gas motor, not a 6. I wouldn't tow 3000 lbs with a 4 cylinder either.
post #117 of 202 Old 11-01-2015, 09:21 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
The rx400h is a 3.3 liter v6 engine in the United states
post #118 of 202 Old 11-01-2015, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
RX400H and 450 H share same platform as Highlander Hybrid.

Current Lexus RX 450h
The Lexus RX 450h's 3.5-liter gas V6 engine and battery-pack-driven electric motors/generators yield an impressive total output of 295 hp.

Lexus RX400H

Base 4dr SUV

(3.3L V6 Hybrid CVT Automatic)

post #119 of 202 Old 11-12-2015, 07:31 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I don't have a key. I have a smart key. One push (without hitting brake pedal) turns on radio function. Two pushes allows me to operate windows. So which one should I try? I'm really bummed to be reading this issue with pulling a boat out of the water, one of the big reasons I bought a Highlander, to launch and retrieve my 2500 lb. sailboat. I don't want to end up stuck on the ramp.
post #120 of 202 Old 12-10-2015, 02:12 AM
/dev/hybrid

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
The 3rd generation Highlander Hybrids (2014 thru 2016) now have a button that will disable TRAC and VSC temporarily.

2016 Highlander Hybrid Limited Platinum in Nautical Blue Metallic
2012 Prius Base Plug-in in Clearwater Blue Metallic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Highlander Hybrid