Consolidated tire thread - Page 2 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Highlander Hybrid The first hybrid SUV from Toyota, the Highlander Hybrid!

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 408 Old 07-27-2007, 09:42 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
TPMS is built into your HL...but the tirecheck's are good in that they can show that ur tires are properly inflated.

TPMS on the HL (not sure about the brand new 08), only turns on if the pressure is very low or if one or more wheels is 2+ psi different from the others. So if u like 35psi for your pressure, TMPS will not turn on till probably 28 (i think is the factory default setting).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 408 Old 07-27-2007, 10:43 AM
Hybrid Driver

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First, let me apologize for posting in the wrong forum. I thought it was generic enough (tires) not to really belong in the Hybrid forum.

I'm pretty sure (just checked the owner's manual) that I don't have any fancy TPMS system on my vehicle. I got the low-spec one without many frills, they're expensive enough as it is. Also, the reason this came up is I have a slow leak in one of the tires and when I added air yesterday, there was practically no pressure in the tire, yet I had no warning systems inside the cabin warning me.

So I suspect the dealer gave me a freebie el-cheapo TPMS (he mentioned something about it being a $30 value, but I wasn't paying attention). I'm pretty sure it's not vehicle-specific, they simply screw into the valve stems.

Here's a pic if that'll help.

See the red? I'm going to visit the tire repair place after I finish this post.

(resized picture)

Last edited by SulevFan; 07-27-2007 at 01:57 PM.
post #18 of 408 Old 07-27-2007, 10:44 AM
Hybrid Driver

Ack! Sorry for that. I've also got a new camera and I'm still struggling to get a handle on sizing pictures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 408 Old 07-27-2007, 12:11 PM
Senior TN Member

photobucket hosts your pictures, you can resize on there after upload OR set a default 800x600 resolution for all uploads. Up to you.
your resolution is fine for me since i have a high resolution screen.

I have seen those valve stems at Kragens, Autozone, NAPA Autoparts, Wal-Mart, Target, and a few other locations. But what one location carries is different from another.

Anyways as far as i know, all highlanders regardless of trim have TPMS because its a reading based off of the ABS speed sensors. The more accurate and specific TMPS systems that are on i think the brand new 08 HL have a sensor in the valve stem which can measure specific PSI for every tire.

The older Highlanders such as the 2005 model we have V6 2wd (base model), use the speed sensors, and typically it takes around 10-20 miles of driving before it sets the sensor off, unless you have a severe loss of pressure. So when you pump the tires up, park the car, and restart the next morning the light will not turn on till you've driven the car x amount of miles (provided that you have lost over 2psi for any particular tire).

i hope this helps.

Our sensor kept on going off because i typically like to use different pressures for the front and rear of vehicles so by using 35 in the front and 32 in the rear, that was enough to set off the sensors. We couldnt figure out how and why this was happening so we took it into the dealership and a mechanic explained it all to us.

Since your vehicle is new, check your owners manual for the low tire pressure indicator symbol that should appear on your instrument panel.
Good luck, and if your car is new, take it back to the dealer and have them take care of the tire for you.

post #20 of 408 Old 07-27-2007, 12:14 PM
This Space For Rent

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Those look like aftermarket "sensors" (I use that term loosely ). They just tell you what your tire pressure is. It's the poorman's version of the TPMS. How much did the $tealer rape you for those things?

post #21 of 408 Old 07-27-2007, 02:00 PM
Hybrid Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanoid
Those look like aftermarket "sensors" (I use that term loosely ). They just tell you what your tire pressure is. It's the poorman's version of the TPMS. How much did the $tealer rape you for those things?
I got them for free... I'm really happy with the dealer I got. It's a long story.. if appropriate, I can post it here, otherwise PM me and I'll tell you my story.

But now I'm thinking that perhaps I didn't get ABS or something... LOL,

Anyway, I'm devastated. Took the car in, the tire guys says they can't repair the tire, I have two nails too close to one another in the tire... And Of course punctures aren't covered by the tire warranty and new tires are $150 and besides they have to be ordered... I'm bummed out.
post #22 of 408 Old 07-27-2007, 02:05 PM
This Space For Rent

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Suck it up and get the tires, they are what is between you and the road. Tell your story, I'm sure some of us would love to hear it.

post #23 of 408 Old 07-27-2007, 02:11 PM
Hybrid Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogkam
Anyways as far as i know, all highlanders regardless of trim have TPMS because its a reading based off of the ABS speed sensors. The more accurate and specific TMPS systems that are on i think the brand new 08 HL have a sensor in the valve stem which can measure specific PSI for every tire.

The older Highlanders such as the 2005 model we have V6 2wd (base model), use the speed sensors, and typically it takes around 10-20 miles of driving before it sets the sensor off, unless you have a severe loss of pressure. So when you pump the tires up, park the car, and restart the next morning the light will not turn on till you've driven the car x amount of miles (provided that you have lost over 2psi for any particular tire).

i hope this helps.

Our sensor kept on going off because i typically like to use different pressures for the front and rear of vehicles so by using 35 in the front and 32 in the rear, that was enough to set off the sensors. We couldnt figure out how and why this was happening so we took it into the dealership and a mechanic explained it all to us.

Since your vehicle is new, check your owners manual for the low tire pressure indicator symbol that should appear on your instrument panel.
Good luck, and if your car is new, take it back to the dealer and have them take care of the tire for you.
Just checked again, nope, nothing, no TPMS, no warning light. That must be why they fitted the aftermarket little sensors.

Thanks for the resizing tip on photobucket. Did that to save other readers that view this thread.

And as for the dealer, I called them and they expressed regret that I didn't have the TireX (sp?) warranty package, but there wasn't much they could do for a multiple punctured tire. Now if only I can figure out where this car has been driven where nails are so plentiful...

A jealous non-hybrid driver, perhaps? (j/k),
post #24 of 408 Old 07-27-2007, 02:30 PM
Hybrid Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanoid
Suck it up and get the tires, they are what is between you and the road. Tell your story, I'm sure some of us would love to hear it.
LOL, OK, my story.

I'm a skinflint, drive cars till they rot, So I have this 1997 RAV4 that had to go in to the dealer for the engine check light coming on. It's an overnight job and they (Lewisville Toyota) very graciously give me a loaner. The loaner is a nice new Highlander and man, does it drive a lot nicer than the old RAV...

So the next day when I return to the dealer I ask the lady in the service dept if she has a buddy in the sales dept, since I'd like toi find out what the Highlander Hybrid would cost me. (I've been drooling and reading up on the HiHy since about when they came out).

She introduce me to her "buddy" and I ask him (politely) for a cash, on-the road price for a low-spec (2wd) HiHy. He has a nice one on the floor and shows it to me. I decline the test drive (I just spent a day in the cabin of a regular Highlander) and said all I need was cash price, no trade.

He goes off, finds another guy, they walk me over to a desk, ask me for identification (why?) and goes off. About 20 minutes later they come back with the price sheet (MSRP) from the side window of the Highlander. So I asked if that is the price with TT&L, etc.. They seem flustered and the guy scribbels $33,000 on the price sheet. So when I make to take the price sheet he grabs it back and says he can't give it to me - I should wait a while. So I sit and wait and eventually dealer guy one comes back and surfs onto the Toyota.com website to show me the '08 model features. I'm suprelemly disinterested, I saw the website the night before. Another 20 minutes of this and I give up, wander back to the service area, pay the bill and drive off in my RAV4.

Back home I used the AAA.com website (Dealix?) and got a few internet quotes. I got about 15 emails, 3 with real prices in them. So I contacted the guy at Toyota of Dallas and arranged to go see him. Unfortunately, the car he had available had horrible, aftermarket leather seats in it, my wife refused to take a car with that kind of seats.

So he asked us to wait a few minutes, disappeared off into a back office and came back with an offer that they would ship in another highlander if we were interested. He looked on the computer ,located a slightly cheaper one in Arkansas and we arranged a deal. This was Saturday. The next Saturday we drove in, the car was there, took up a very low-key (nothing like the crap I had when I bought the RAV4) sales pitch for an extended warranty (no offers on the lo-jack or anything else, they must have senses I weren't interested) and in about 90 minutes flat we were out of there with the new HiHy. Total on the check (including ext. warranty, TT&L) was $34, 355 - if I got taken, at least it was gentlemanly, I don't feel ripped off and the price was right in line with the other two prices.

So, this week when my plates got in, I drove past the Toyota of Lewisville dealership to get the plates at Toyota of Dallas. On the way back, I stopped in and asked to see the sales guy that couldn't/wouldn't give me a price. I noticed that their HiHy (which they said was in demand and would probably sell that weekend) was still sitting on the floor. Man, you should have seen that sales guy's smile when he recognized me. The sile lasted all until I asked him if he could recall what price they asked for their Highlander. When he started prevaricating, I asked him if he'd like to see my new HiHy and hear the price on that. He was't so keen after that...

Anyway, I now have to go find a Michelin tire dealer....
post #25 of 408 Old 07-27-2007, 03:34 PM
Senior TN Member

Ah thats really wierd...ur highlander seems too bare to be a hybrid model...

anyways get the road hazard warranties...i got them for my summer tires...and i should have gotten them for my all season tires too. But i said screw it...and of course ended up with a nail too close to the sidewall to repair, and had to get a new one (the old one was only a month old!).

You can get tires from a lot of places that have 'deals' and u can bargain with them or find coupons left and right to apply towards your purchase.

I saved a total of maybe $85 on my last purchase of 4 tires doing that.

good luck.

post #26 of 408 Old 07-27-2007, 03:35 PM
Hybrid Driver

Tires

I posted about the wotsits that monitor tire pressure. Turned out my tire is beyond repair - two nails, too close to one another for repair.

The HH came with Michelin Energy LX4 225/65R17 tires. The tire dealer said those tires are extremely uncommon and he'd have to order them and they wouldn't be here before Wednesday (8/1).

Now I'm wondering. Do they outfit vehicles in different states with different tires? So because my vehicle got trucked in from Arkansas I have a tire that's not usually used in Texas? Is that going to cause some difficulty in driving/handling?

Or is it simply that the HiHy gets "special" tires not the same as on other Highlanders and since tires takes a while to get to replacement that there is simply not (yet, or perhaps never, based on number of vehicles) a critical mass for this tire?

PS. They're expensive as well. Total price, (fitted and taxed) is just over $175 (and I did call around).
post #27 of 408 Old 07-27-2007, 04:21 PM
Hybrid Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogkam
Ah thats really wierd...ur highlander seems too bare to be a hybrid model...

That's TFF. You crack me up. But I did go and check under the rear seat, there's a stonking big battery under there and I do manage to drive the car with no engine noise, so they do have something other than a regular engine powering it....
post #28 of 408 Old 07-31-2007, 10:52 AM
OurayMotorsports

tires

HH vehicles were equipped with at least two different brands of tire: the Michelins you had and the Goodyear Integrity (which has received poor reviews). What's unusual is not so much the brand, as the size 225/65-17. The 235/65-17 is/was far more common and quite a few tires can be found in this size. The overall diameter difference is not enoguh to cause a significant spedometer error. I had some good 235/65-17 snow tires on the HH for a while and they just barely fit (the close part is clearing the spring base plate just above the tire). I imagine that different models of 235/65-17 tire might vary enough that there may be one out there that won't clear, but mine did. I notice, now, that quite a few new tires have come out in the 225/65-17 size in the last year. Tirerack.com now lists 15 tires in this size! Prices range from $86 (the Integrity) to $158 (high-end Michelins) (plus shipping).
post #29 of 408 Old 09-10-2007, 08:08 PM
Hihy enthusiast

Anybody tried other tires such as Yokohamas AVID H4S (inexpensive) or Goodyear Fortera TripleTred?

2006 Black Toyota Highlander Hybrid
post #30 of 408 Old 09-11-2007, 06:33 PM
New TN User

Tires

I've had very good luck with a set of Nokian WR's in the 235 size. Excellent in the winter, and long wear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Highlander Hybrid