Consolidated tire thread - Page 8 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Highlander Hybrid The first hybrid SUV from Toyota, the Highlander Hybrid!

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #106 of 408 Old 03-04-2009, 10:29 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I also have Fortera TripleTreds on my 2004 fwd Highlander and found them to be much better in snow than the OEM Toyo A11 Transpath tires that came with the Highlander. However, I was disappointed to find out in the November 2008 Consumer Reports that the TripleTred did not score well, placing 14th out of 20 for all season tires. The snow traction was rated good and ice braking was fair. Rolling resistance was rated good. The other tires you listed were not tested. The other tire I had considered was the Michelin LTX M/S, which according to the report, I should have gotten instead. Both at the time were about the same price, but I bought the Goodyears based on the Snowflake symbol. The Michelins were not Snowflake rated but even stated in an ad that they were better than the TripleTreds in snow, but I didn't believe them. My mistake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 408 Old 03-04-2009, 12:17 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by typesix View Post
I also have Fortera TripleTreds on my 2004 fwd Highlander and found them to be much better in snow than the OEM Toyo A11 Transpath tires that came with the Highlander. However, I was disappointed to find out in the November 2008 Consumer Reports that the TripleTred did not score well, placing 14th out of 20 for all season tires. The snow traction was rated good and ice braking was fair. Rolling resistance was rated good. The other tires you listed were not tested. The other tire I had considered was the Michelin LTX M/S, which according to the report, I should have gotten instead. Both at the time were about the same price, but I bought the Goodyears based on the Snowflake symbol. The Michelins were not Snowflake rated but even stated in an ad that they were better than the TripleTreds in snow, but I didn't believe them. My mistake.
Only a mistake if you believe consumer reports testing. I do not believe they have the expertise to properly evaluate many of their products. Frankly, I prefer the wider audience that Tire Rack has for evaluations on tires.

2008 Highlander Hybrid Limited; Nav, DVD (His)

2007 Volvo XC70 (Hers)

1999 Camry LE (mine, used by my son)
post #108 of 408 Old 03-05-2009, 02:32 PM
New TN User

Hey thanks much for all the information! Once we get the new tires I will post my experience in case it helps others. :-)

Thanks, kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #109 of 408 Old 03-05-2009, 02:43 PM
Official TN Member

got Fortera TripleTreds as replacements for the OE Integrities on the wife's HiHy, very happy with them so far. VAST improvement in the snow over the Integrities. As for rolling resistance, the tripletreds have a max pressure of 44psi, and i run them usually at 40psi. they seem to be holding up well mileage wise as well, got a little over 30K on them so far and are only about half worn as far as i can tell.

we got ours at Sams Club for a very good price. you should check them out online.

good luck, and God Bless.
post #110 of 408 Old 03-05-2009, 04:44 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxis8203 View Post
got Fortera TripleTreds as replacements for the OE Integrities on the wife's HiHy, very happy with them so far. VAST improvement in the snow over the Integrities. As for rolling resistance, the tripletreds have a max pressure of 44psi, and i run them usually at 40psi. they seem to be holding up well mileage wise as well, got a little over 30K on them so far and are only about half worn as far as i can tell.

we got ours at Sams Club for a very good price. you should check them out online.

good luck, and God Bless.
What size did you get? Rim size?

2008 Highlander Hybrid Limited; Nav, DVD (His)

2007 Volvo XC70 (Hers)

1999 Camry LE (mine, used by my son)

Last edited by jeffs3820; 03-05-2009 at 07:15 PM.
post #111 of 408 Old 03-06-2009, 07:53 AM
Official TN Member

we have an 06 HiHy, size is 225/65-17
post #112 of 408 Old 03-08-2009, 10:55 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
On my 06 I installed a set of Michelin Xice's on ASA wheels and it went anywhere. The stock Energy tires were terrible in the snow though. In fact now that I have an 08 I'll be selling those for the 06.

2016 Tacoma Limited 4x4
2016 RAV4 Hybrid (Wife's Hybrid)

Batteries are included with Hybrids

Last edited by Bob259; 03-09-2009 at 06:06 AM. Reason: typo
post #113 of 408 Old 03-09-2009, 12:09 AM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob259 View Post
On my 06 I installed a set of Michelin Xice's on ASA wheels and it went anywhere. The stock Energy tires were terrible in the snow though. In fact now that I have an 09 I'll be selling those or the 06.
Hi Bob,
What tires do you have on your 09 HH this winter?
thanks.
post #114 of 408 Old 03-09-2009, 06:06 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emiddleton View Post
Hi Bob,
What tires do you have on your 09 HH this winter?
thanks.
Mine is actually 08 left over I recently purchased, typo error. It has the stock Toyo tires on it.

2016 Tacoma Limited 4x4
2016 RAV4 Hybrid (Wife's Hybrid)

Batteries are included with Hybrids
post #115 of 408 Old 03-30-2009, 03:03 PM
Highlander Hybrid Newbie

Just bought my 09 HiHy a couple of months ago, and it has the factory Toyo A20 tires. This vehicle will definitely be going into the Sierras every winter, and will also be towing a small trailer occasionally during the summer on dirt/gravel roads. This thread has got me a little freaked out!

After reading through all of the posts, it sounds like the first thing to think about doing is replacing the tires with something better for snow. Actual snow tires would not be a great choice for me, though, because most of the time the HiHy will be in non-snow conditions and snow tires are far from ideal for regular conditions. Can anyone recommend some good tires which will do well for regular driving but be better in the snow/gravel/dirt than the stock tires?

High-Hy in CA
(2009 Highlander Hybrid 4WD Blizzard Pearl / Sand
post #116 of 408 Old 03-30-2009, 05:32 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs_highlander View Post
it sounds like the first thing to think about doing is replacing the tires with something better for snow. Actual snow tires would not be a great choice for me, though, because most of the time the HiHy will be in non-snow conditions and snow tires are far from ideal for regular conditions. Can anyone recommend some good tires which will do well for regular driving but be better in the snow/gravel/dirt than the stock tires?
The Goodyear triple treads should give you good traction on rain, snow, and ice. I have them on my minivan. I don't know what is needed for gravel or dirt.

They are a little noisier than some tires but that shouldn't be a problem for a Highlander.

They are a directional tire and can only be rotated front to rear (no left to right swap).
post #117 of 408 Old 03-30-2009, 08:46 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Just bought my 09 HiHy a couple of months ago, and it has the factory Toyo A20 tires. This vehicle will definitely be going into the Sierras every winter, and will also be towing a small trailer occasionally during the summer on dirt/gravel roads. This thread has got me a little freaked out!

After reading through all of the posts, it sounds like the first thing to think about doing is replacing the tires with something better for snow. Actual snow tires would not be a great choice for me, though, because most of the time the HiHy will be in non-snow conditions and snow tires are far from ideal for regular conditions. Can anyone recommend some good tires which will do well for regular driving but be better in the snow/gravel/dirt than the stock tires?
I can identify with your situation. We do gravel road as well with some rocks and stones and we tow as well. Our trailer is rated 2000-lb GVWR. We also visit the Sierras especially after a good storm :-). Our '06 HH uses the Goodyear Fortera TripleTred and has encountered Sierra ice, snow and slush; mostly on 120 and 41, Badger Pass and Yosemite Valley. The tires have also been through I5, 58 and 15 to Vegas and also Furnace Creek. These tires are excellent in dry and wet condition on paved surface. They tow fine and handle gravel road fine. They are good in slushy snow, packed snow and icy condition as long as you observe CHP / CALTRAN posted speed. The car is sure-footed. We even hit clear ice at low speed and we thought it was water. The car had full control and stopped straight and true with ABS actions.

For true four-season performance in CA, especially with more dry+wet and not so much snow and ice, we have had no problems with the TripleTred and the Nokian WR SUV. The only downside is they will wear down a bit faster in dry weather driving than dedicated summer tires. Snow-capable tires include softer compound and they wear faster in dry hot weather. We expect to get about 45,000 miles out of these before reaching the magic 6/32-inch depth. They will still do fine in dry and wet down to about 4/32 but I will no longer use them in the Sierras.

If you drive a lot in snow and ice like up in Northern CA or places like Reno, Tahoe or Oregon or the midwest, then dedicated snow tires is the safest choice. If you live in LA basin or SF bay area or anywhere in the dry central valley to coastal section and only visit the Sierras to play, then the two tires above should do fine.

There may be other brands out there that can do just as well but I have only experience with these two.

Oh, CA requires that you bring chains in the car. We are paranoid about safety so we have chains for all four tires. No point having traction only on two tires. The '06 HH has very tight clearance in the rear so we have to use Spike-Spyder for the rear.

Last edited by Cahhdriver; 03-30-2009 at 08:49 PM.
post #118 of 408 Old 03-30-2009, 09:20 PM
Highlander Hybrid Newbie

Thank you MellowGuy and Cahhdriver! I'm wondering what size you got the TripleTreds in. I have the stock P245/55R19 size on right now. Did you go with exactly the same profile?

High-Hy in CA
post #119 of 408 Old 03-30-2009, 09:41 PM
Highlander Hybrid Newbie

I also forgot to ask which Goodyear TripleTred tire you are talking about. There is an Assurance TripleTred, which I think is meant for regular passenger cars, and there is a Fortera TripleTred which sounds like it's made for trucks and SUVs. I assume you are talking about the Fortera, but just wanted to be sure. Thanks!

High-Hy in CA
post #120 of 408 Old 03-30-2009, 09:58 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Thank you MellowGuy and Cahhdriver! I'm wondering what size you got the TripleTreds in. I have the stock P245/55R19 size on right now. Did you go with exactly the same profile?
The 06 HH wants 225/65-17 but I run 235/65-17 on the same wheels. It is all within specification. It also makes the tire just a hair "taller" which we hope would help us on gravel road like on Racetrack Rd. :-).

Your HH has a new wheel size so I would check with tire professional to see what fits. There are normally tires that will fit one size up.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Highlander Hybrid