Consolidated tire thread - Page 9 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Highlander Hybrid The first hybrid SUV from Toyota, the Highlander Hybrid!

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 408 Old 03-31-2009, 11:18 AM
Highlander Hybrid Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Thanks Cahhdriver. I was already thinking of going to the next size up. BTW, are you using the Assurance TripleTred (which I think is meant for regular passenger cars) or the Fortera TripleTred (which I think is meant for trucks and SUVs)? I assume you are using the Fortera, but just wanted to be sure. Thanks!

High-Hy in CA
(2009 Highlander Hybrid 4WD Blizzard Pearl / Sand
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 408 Old 03-31-2009, 11:31 AM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs_highlander View Post
Thanks Cahhdriver. I was already thinking of going to the next size up. BTW, are you using the Assurance TripleTred (which I think is meant for regular passenger cars) or the Fortera TripleTred (which I think is meant for trucks and SUVs)? I assume you are using the Fortera, but just wanted to be sure. Thanks!
We have the Fortera TripleTred, not the Assurance.

Nothing but truck or SUV tires will do because the car is so heavy. We also tow and drive on gravel road so good tires make things easier. Our HH came with Goodyear Integrity way back in 2005, a weak squishy van tire for a 2+ ton SUV!

We run ours at between 36 and 37 psi for that combination of handling and rolling freedom. Your new HH may require different pressure for best performance that you prefer.
post #123 of 408 Old 04-06-2009, 09:53 AM
New TN User

I am having the same problem with the OEM Toyo tires on my '08 Highlander Hybrid. Were your tires out of alignment? Were you able to get the tires replaced? Thanks.

-Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 408 Old 04-07-2009, 06:19 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
This seems to be an issue with all these Toyo tires on the Highlander in the 19" size especially.

There is a whole stream of notes and comments over on the Edmunds Forum on these tires. http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f101cb2/1

I was more worried that I couldn't find good (Michelin X-Ice or Blizzak) 19" snow tires and wheels and it seems after looking at that forum there is little choice in replacements for any tire currently. Toyo also makes a HT which some are saying are working well, but until we get other manufactures making tires in this size we are stuck

2016 Tacoma Limited 4x4
2016 RAV4 Hybrid (Wife's Hybrid)

Batteries are included with Hybrids

Last edited by Bob259; 04-07-2009 at 07:52 AM.
post #125 of 408 Old 05-11-2009, 01:38 PM
New TN User

Replacement Tires for a 2008 Highlander Hybrid

After 15k miles my tires on my 2008 Highlander are shot. The tires were not good at all. The problem I'm having is finding someone who has the correct size (245/55 19). Unfortunately, Toyo and Bridgestone are the only ones that carry tires in that size. The problem is the models they do carry are poor tires too. Has anyone put on a 255/55 19's instead, and if so have you had any problems? Any advice is welcomed. I don't want to buy new wheels.
post #126 of 408 Old 05-11-2009, 05:39 PM
Do you feel lucky?

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7364 Post(s)
Thanked 8,487 Times in 5,973 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
You ought to take a look at the 08+ Highlander forum and do a search of the threads there. There have been a number of threads there dealing with tires, including the 19". See you there....

TrailDust

-------------------------

2008 Highlander Base 4WD
2002 Avalon XL
1987 Suzuki Samurai 4X4 - Treading where no Jeep can follow....
post #127 of 408 Old 05-12-2009, 05:45 AM
Official TN Member

Go to this site http://www.treadepot.com/

Click on Toyo and click on the Open Country HT P-Met

http://www.treadepot.com/group/ophtp.html

These are getting good reviews on wear and ride.

2016 Tacoma Limited 4x4

Last edited by Bob259; 05-12-2009 at 05:46 AM.
post #128 of 408 Old 05-26-2009, 03:57 PM
Official TN Member

Just purchased a 2008 HiHY and had the same question about the tire pressure on-screen display. 4 out of 5 show 33 psi but the first in the list shows 38 psi. I'm hoping that's the spare.
post #129 of 408 Old 05-27-2009, 11:08 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs3820 View Post
33-34 is about right. 44 is the max for the load rating and would be absolutely incorrect. Handling would be terrible (not enough tire on the road) and the ride would be very stiff.

Just as a note...I have an 09 Hihy, now with 1200 miles on it.

Mine came from the dealer at 40psi. The door sticker does indicate 34 on mine. The max PSI on the tire sidewall (for maximum load) is 44 psi. Based on how low profile the tires are, and the rim width to tire size ratio, I was guessing that running at or near the max PSI would not have an adverse impact on the tire wear. The stock rims are perfectly sized for the stock tires. If rim width is off, or on tires that are less stiff and/or have taller sidewalls, changing inflation pressure can have dramatic results. Overinflating can cause the tires to 'balloon', resulting in the center of the tire wearing prematurely, and less tire on the ground (the edges of the tire being slightly removed from the road). Underinflation causes the opposite, with the sidewalls carrying more load, and the edges of the tires wearing faster (and the center not wearing as fast), and also potentially leading to sidewall failure.

I've done some tire pressure experimentation. Changing from 35-44 psi really doesn't have a significant impact on the handling of this vehicle; even at 33-35 psi, the low profile sidewalls ensure a rigid tire response. I've also chalked and marked the tires, to examine tire wear at different pressures. From what I've seen, the tread profile and wear patterns remain wholly unchanged going from 35 to 44 psi. To be clear: my testing suggests that there is NO CHANGE in contact pattern, and thus should be no change in tire wear. Also, at 44psi, the ride is still great.

I haven't had a chance to test fuel economy at different pressures yet. However, based on experience with previous vehicles, my review of the experiences of other hybrid owners, application of basic scientific principles and good clean common sense, higher pressure = lower rolling resistance = better mileage. So for now, I'm sticking at 44psi.

Oh--and as for the comment that 44 psi is absolutely incorrect--that's a bit misleading. 44psi may be correct, depending on vehicle load. The factory rating is the minimum pressure that you can run with the standard vehicle load. But tire manufacturers generate weight/pressure charts that show the pressure you should be running with any given load. So if you're carrying a heavy load or towing a trailer, in theory you should have more pressure in the tires. Within certain limits, the correlation between load and pressure is linear. For example, if a tire is rated for max load of 2000# at 40 PSI, in theory, if you're only carrying 1500# on that tire, you could likely run 30 PSI. Again--that is the theoretical correlation. The practical part of it is simple--Toyota recommends a certain pressure based on expected load, and a tradeoff between weight-carrying and comfort. With low profile tires, the comfort gained with a slightly lower pressure is minimal, if even perceptible. If you're carrying more weight, you need more pressure. If you're not carrying more weight, but want to reduce rolling resistance and improve fuel economy, you can do so, provided that tire profile is not adversely affected. In this case, I don't think tire wear will be adversely affected based on my study of this car, and I've decided to run more pressure...a decision which is not "absolutely incorrect".

Last edited by lawfarm; 05-27-2009 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Responding to additional comment.
post #130 of 408 Old 05-28-2009, 06:15 AM
Official TN Member

I've done some experimenting as well and found that 38PSI seems like a good psi. The ride is good and less harsh on teh road seams then it is at 40 or 44 psi.

2016 Tacoma Limited 4x4

post #131 of 408 Old 05-30-2009, 11:19 AM
Go Buffs

Dealer put 38-39 in mine and the ride is fine, handling fine, fuel economy is fine. FWIW
post #132 of 408 Old 05-30-2009, 04:33 PM
Official TN Member

<<Oh--and as for the comment that 44 psi is absolutely incorrect--that's a bit misleading. 44psi may be correct, depending on vehicle load.>>

Correct, it's dependent on vehicle load and for the highlander 44 would be incorrect unless you keep heavy construction equipment in the back :-)

Running too high of a tire pressure will cause higher wear in the center of the tire...unless your load is higher than a typical load. There is a factory recommendation for a reason...

2008 Highlander Hybrid Limited; Nav, DVD (His)

2007 Volvo XC70 (Hers)

1999 Camry LE (mine, used by my son)
post #133 of 408 Old 05-30-2009, 09:43 PM
New TN User

Goodyear Fuel Max tires

Looking for Low Rolling Resistance Tires. Goodyear has a new tire, Fuel Max. Has anyone purchased them? How good are they?
post #134 of 408 Old 05-31-2009, 02:32 AM
New TN User

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawfarm View Post
Just as a note...I have an 09 Hihy, now with 1200 miles on it...In this case, I don't think tire wear will be adversely affected based on my study of this car, and I've decided to run more pressure...a decision which is not "absolutely incorrect".

I'd just like to indicate that I also pretty much mirror your experiences -- I'm also ~ 1200 miles too!

fwiw, I run 40 psi all around to allow ~ +4 increase for when the tires heat up.

Laters!
Edgardo
post #135 of 408 Old 05-31-2009, 01:44 PM
Official TN Member

To each their own. BTW, the 44psi max pressure is for a cold tire...always adjust tire pressure when cold after sitting overnight.

Be sure to do lots of reading on adjustment of tire pressure. Here is a good article:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...e.jsp?techid=1

2008 Highlander Hybrid Limited; Nav, DVD (His)

2007 Volvo XC70 (Hers)

1999 Camry LE (mine, used by my son)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Highlander Hybrid